2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Just the ATAS. It's specific to that tank. I've not heard of a single similar issue on the standard.

This appears to be the best knowledge base regarding the issue I've come across. Anyone who is experiencing the issue, I highly recommend posting in this thread.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/thr...sports-atas-fueling-tank-issues-merged.35737/

I'd also advise everyone experiencing this to contact the NHTSA so hopefully honda can get pressured into a recall.
  2. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    G,day all what are you getting in mileage out full tank fuel ,and also has any one purchased standard plastic moulded panniers that direct fit bike.
    And are you happy with fit and quality and by chance doo wee no who makes them for Honda .cheers :-)
  3. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    I generally run either Gravel or Tour mode in S2 setting and get about 530 km to a tank of 87 Octane gas. I went with the OEM aluminum panniers but will probably also get a set of Mosko soft bags in addition to the hard cases.
    Eastwood likes this.
  4. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that Sirvelo , i was looking into ally stuff but with tube frame mounting it does look like it sits out fair bit , have u notice wind catching moving you around .
  5. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can’t say I noticed any more wind effect after install. Where I live there is a Hwy 22 that heads south to Pincher Creek. It runs about 100 km’s in length and that ride is a real wind tunnel with severe cross winds. They have wind speed warning electronic signs on the north and south entrances so you can chicken out if it’s just too severe. I went through in 80 km cross winds and was at the same severe lean in both cases. Not a factor in my opinion. It was equally butt puckering in both cases.
  6. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I have not encountered wind like that yet, I too did not notice any different effects of the OEM aluminum cases on any of my usual rides.
  7. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not taken this bike off road yet, but have read a few articles from cycle magazines where the rider reporting on the DCT transmission said it took some getting used to, but was not difficult to adjust to. I agree with that statement. Also, you can override the automatic feature and shift the gears up or down using the paddle shifters on the left hand grip. When I get the bike back and get a chance to go off road, I'll report back with my impressions.
  8. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with the Touratech engine guard bars and crash bars because of the looong wait to get the Honda bars. The Touratech bars are high quality and look great on the bike.
    IdealPragmatist and jamboa like this.
  9. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Where?
  10. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good to Know, I have a Standard model..... but i'll still keep it in mind....
  11. Silverback3

Silverback3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lake Lure, Chimney Rock area. Really like the AT so far. Also got my trusty DR650
    Amphib likes this.
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering where you bought the AT. Hard to find. I’m just down Rt. 9 in SC. New Prospect, 9 & 11.
  13. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if you take the DR places you don't take the AT. I let go of an eight month old 690ER for the AT. Haven't been to DV with the AT yet, but Echo Canyon is a place I even got turned around in with the 690ER--so, I would not take the AT there. Maybe if I rode in from the east instead... :hmmmmm
  14. Silverback3

Silverback3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I searched for one for a long time. Finally found this one at Great Western in Statesville.
    scfrank likes this.
  15. Silverback3

Silverback3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yes. AT is for backroads and dirt roads. DR is for the ruff stuff.
    EmmEff likes this.
  16. Silverback3

Silverback3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only problem I got is I can't park my DR650 beside my new AT. The DR tries to hump it. I guess he thinks it's pretty.
    jamboa and DCTFAN like this.
  17. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, except my second bike is a DRZ.
  18. IdealPragmatist

IdealPragmatist Oxymoronic by definition

Oddometer:
    I realize this is too late in your case (as it was in my case as well) but I'd highly recommend others reading this take proactive steps early on to eliminate the dangerous problem that will result as well as save yourselves the headache of the delay in replacement pumps, injectors, etc. There's quite a bit of detail on this forum about dealing with this issue proactively and it's well worth the effort in my opinion. I get it though, I really do.... it shouldn't be the case that we have to do this, but we do.

All that said, I'm cognizant of the fact that most probably don't run across the posts in this forum until they've gone searching the web for others having the problem they're already experiencing.
    Eastwood and windowto like this.
  19. IdealPragmatist

IdealPragmatist Oxymoronic by definition

Oddometer:
    My DR was pissed for months. Not to mention the "I told you so" and snickering from it when the AT was down for tank repairs. They've bonded now, it takes time.
    Amphib and windowto like this.
  20. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    That clear plastic screen protector came uninstalled when I bought my 2020 standard. I never bothered to install it. Anybody else installed it?
    Also I have a ad in Parts for a new never installed 2020 AT Camelback ADV bar risers. I ordered them then realized the Rox Risers I took off my Tiger 1200 would fit my AT 1100L
    Myers79 likes this.