2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my 2020 ATAS I will be using a QuadLock mount on the right handlebar using an extendable USB cable to the USB port on the right side of the bike to take into account the handlebar movement when connected to my iPhone 11 mounted on the Quadlock. (I don't care for a tank bag but you could just have an iPhone in there as well). My understanding is I need the iPhone connected to the USB port and the bluetooth connection from my SENA 10U to activate the Apple CarPlay on the bike. I will also center mount my old Zumo 350 LM if the mapping solutions through my iPhone just don't cut it as member waterloojay mentioned above.
  2. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's similar to what I'm planning on doing.

Be careful with the QuadLock -- I've read on adv that some have had the cameras in the iPhone get destroyed by the vibrations. I use a RAM mount on a longer arm, and have had no phone issues at all -- I think in part the rubber bumpers and the long arm help absorb vibrations. The QuadLock looks great, and I wonder if there might be a way to have some sort of vibration dampening in corporate into it...
  3. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    So your RAM mount is not on the handlebar but coming from that center-mount position beneath the ignition?
  4. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the basic setup from the manual. Obviously there is much more detail than is shown here & the manual covers that. There is also a good deal of information in the Car Play section for those with iPhone's. I highly recommend downloading the manual...all 379 pages of that thing! Screenshot_20200128-085323_Drive.jpg
    sirvelo likes this.
  5. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. It is I think the 6" arm, and I have it over to the side so it doesn't block the screen. Works great.
    sirvelo likes this.
  6. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    Has anyone removed the front fairings yet? It looks like they are different than those shown in the Rocky Mountain M/C video regarding fairing removal procedures on pre 2020 models. If so, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  8. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That simulation thing is great. Thanks for posting it swimmer!
  9. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to find a tank ring style tank bag that fits the 2020 ATAS, without much luck so far. Has any 2020 owner found such a bag. My several year old SW Motech bag sits too far forward and interferes with handlebar movement. if I relocate the bag mounted ring too far forward it seems like most of the load like be shifted too close to the rider stressing the plastic ring mounted on the tank.
  10. sirvelo

Oddometer:
  11. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you trust your Dealer to prep your new bike properly?
    It has been more than 4 years since the first Africa Twins made the overseas journey to each destination from the factory in Japan.
    When you spend some time on Youtube you'll notice several "unboxing" videos that show how it is crated and what is assembled at the dealership before they deliver it to the end user.
    Most dealers will invoice several hundred dollars for this 'prep' and should be able to follow set guidelines.
    But as some of you may have noticed, most don't have a clue: this is how to properly install the front wheel.

Above is an example of how it is usually done at typical dealer: FFWD to 28:00

[​IMG]
    Another report of inadequate prep of a new bike:
  12. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried fitting Barkbusters to the CRF1100? The extra width of the clutch side (many button) switch assembly looks like it may take up too much room on the handlebars to properly fit the BB brace. Secondly the fly by wire throttle seems to have extra electrical cabling underneath the right handlebar that might interfere with the right hand side brace.
    I have sent an email inquiry to Barkbusters in Aus via their website inquiry form but haven’t had a response yet.
    I don’t want to fork out for a set of BBS that don’t fit the new bike.
  13. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    Sirvelo,
    The Mosko website shows numerous ATs with the Nomad in place. I was hoping for a bag with a little more volume.
    The key issue for me will be non interference with steering lock, so I would love feedback regarding handlebar interference from anyone who actually has ridden an ATAS with a Nomad in place.
  14. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    For those that may be considering mounting Altrider crash bars to there 2020 AT, my local reseller has been informed by Altrider that they won’t have product ready for the 2020 models until the fourth quarter of this year. Damn!
    I guess I’ll be going with Outback Motortek who apparently will have product available by the end of Marching.
    I gather that Outback makes serious products, but I was hoping for stainless steel.
  15. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It surprised me that he didn't use any grease on the axle or spacers - both appeared dry. I don't speak German so perhaps I missed it.
  16. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode my dads gold wing and it worked without a Bluetooth headset
  17. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, for the record: I'm asking this because I know nothing about Apple Car Play or any other similar system.

Is possible that it works if you use your own phone bluetooth, instead of the bluetooth in the headset? May be the Car Play interprets you'd like to use your phone as a speaker?
  18. ArqCC

ArqCC n00b

Oddometer:
    Same problem here with a ATAS 2020 DCT and a SW Motech EVO CITY tankbag. I'll wait for the new PRO fixation system tankbags shown in Milano in last November and see...Anyway, with that big ATAS display, the tomtom rider 550 and Iphone, i guess I´ll pass tankbags for good...or maybe an EVO Micro.
  19. ArqCC

ArqCC n00b

Oddometer:
    Ask that same question few weeks ago and, last week, received the indication from Rugged Roads, that the Barkbusters for the ATAS 2020 DCT would be available in the next couple of weeks.
  20. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about it again, the gold wing has external speaker(which is what I was listening to the music from Apple car play from) so it might not translate to the at.