2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    It is really hard to tell if they are making a difference. I can't tell a significant difference.
  2. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost a year later and my local dealer has not received a single 2020 AT of any form. The closest one i can find is 200 miles away - a bit of a long drive for a test ride.
  3. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback!.... Kinda what I thought but good to hear from someone who actually has one....
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    AT sales in the US has definitely seen its hayday. Blame it on COVID, whatever.
    Just a few years ago, I remember peeps going to dealers on opposite coasts, with wallets wide open,
    begging them to take their money :)
    Nowadays it's just another ADV bike to consider.
  5. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen a good difference with the deflectors, less air coming up on my chest, not perfect but better. I think they could have made them a bit larger. The combination of these deflectors and the Swegotech fork defletor I would say I'm 99% turbulence free!
  6. chrisjohn

chrisjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2020 AdV Sports DCT I picked up in NWA supposedly was supposedly the last one in a seven state radius.
  7. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t doubt it.
  8. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m curious. How about the availability of the standard model. Multiple dealer around me have both standard trans and DCT units. Like you though, the AS DCT I picked up in June was the last one around here.
  9. JimmyTheHuman

JimmyTheHuman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a chance to try the CRF1100L and the CRF1100AS (no DCT or ES). I like the idea of the slimmer, easier weekender, but i am also doing a one off 13000km trip with a lot of it remote in Australia. So the big tank would be great for this one trip, otherwise i dont really need it or the extra bulk.

Is there much of a real world difference in wind buffeting between the 2 models? (not nano, i must find a difference for a review difference, but noticeable real world rider difference).

I already have my roadie for weekends that i love, does the Africa make you wanna jump on ride to shops or for lunch or really only when you want to go on a journey?
  10. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JimmyTheHuman--I am a long time dirt bike single thumper guy. Never had anything twin. For the last 6 years my main bike has been a KTM XCW 500 that I would flop back and forth from single track/desert stuff and then put on a 5.3 gallon tank and force it do to adventure stuff/long weekends living off bike every now and then. But I was wanting to do that kind of thing more and more, long miles and pavement involved, so I wanted more road manners and ability to do longer trips. That led to buying a used 701 last year to add to my stable, my biggest displacement bike to date. I put 6000 miles on that bike, I liked having the two bikes and it was great for bush type camping weekend rides, but still wanted some more road manners and ability to ride longer pavement when necessary. That is life in Texas. The T700 wasn't far enough away in my mind from the 701. Felt similar about the 790...and I have the 500 dual sport if doing a rough route that the 790 would have shined on vs. a bigger twin. The 1090 was no longer being made and had a limited production run, and the 1290 just seemed too big and too much money for my needs. 2020 Africa Twin base model was where I felt the tug. The newer model had a narrower rear section along with some other features that caught my eye. The DCT is intriguing, but I was not sold on it for various reasons offroad.....that and it cost $800 more and added some weight. I was also going to try and run it rackless for my camping rides, didn't want a really wide rear end, keep things tight and light best I can. The adventure sports gas range was nice, but I sat on one....I was already having a hard time with a big twin bike, that tank pushed it over the top, my roots are squeezing the tank when the going gets rough. The base model it was and that saved some decent dollars vs. ATAS. Brought it home and immediately set about to get it setup for dirt work, even though it's life is probably a 50/50 at best situation, still wanted it skid plated and crashed bar'd up. So far, I am liking it. I've done a few hundred miles gravel, sand etc., it is no 701 but I feel comfortable with it, upgrading the tires was huge. Had a similar hooligan feel in the dirt once in the unleashed User mode, full power, no ABS etc. Obviously pavement was more enjoyable than any enduro. I am doing my first overnight camping off it this weekend riding through 3 different National Forests, 3 days of riding, total around 700 miles. To get it camping ready, I pulled off the honda rear side panels, put fuel bottles in that same space and removed the rear seat. The rear bolt closer to the tail light, found some Pit Posse PP2832 tie down rings on Amazon, gave me a stout tie down point. Put some tubes in a dry bag in that seat spot and put the Wolfman B base over all of it to hold some Wolfman medium rollies I already had and a random tail bag that I am running parallel to the bike vs. sticking out sideways. Strapped that rear bag down with three Voile Straps, and a couple Rox straps for expandable tie down space for end of day beer runs for camp.

There is no perfect bike, will see how my current two bike solution goes. As far as jump on it last second, I don't have a problem with it, nimble enough and not too bad moving around my garage etc. Wind buffeting, the short screen pretty much has things normal, like an enduro. The air is there but it is not dirty air. I might at some point play with a larger screen but that is when I will probably start having buffeting problems with dirty air :-) . I just pull my helmet peak off for the long sections of slab, it fits in my Zacspeed back pack on the outside pouch like it is not there. When the pavement/high speed stuff is over, put peak back on, 2 minute thing.

upload_2020-11-18_16-57-52.png

upload_2020-11-18_17-42-39.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-58-39.png

Attached Files:

11. JimmyTheHuman

JimmyTheHuman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW, great reply. I've ridden 450/300 for years, i dont want to tour on anything like one :) and i ride a naked roadie so wind is fine, i just dont want the dirty air feel (sore neck and shoulders). I wondered how much the leg and body protection mattered on the ATAS? I also dont want hard luggage, and whatever i have has to be close against the bike, yours looks awesome. Easy to access when you stop and need to find something or more like unwrapping the whole camp?

I would love to hear your thoughts on 3-4hrs on the tarmac. Especially compared to any other roadies. I think i will be 60/40 or 70/30 road/dirt.

thanks again!
  12. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't compare leg/body protection to anything else, as this is my first big bike. But I can say I was pretty happy how protected I felt behind it. Even standing at 60-65mph....and the cruise control is great. Obviously nice when cruising long stretches and giving your hand a break, but also enjoyed it when standing on the bike and not having to regulate the throttle to maintain steady speed, especially when in a group. I did 340 miles Saturday before last, probably 60/40 or 70/30. It was no big deal. On my 701, I was considerably more tired doing that same run.

Luggage vs. easy access. I lived out of these exact same bags on my 701 this past August doing hundreds of miles, report on this site, Roaming Wyoming 701ing. Between those three bags and my Zacspeed backpack, I didn't find it difficult at all. The tail bag has most of the camping stuff to include my tent. Right bag had my sleeping bag and some water. Left bag was the bike stuff, tools etc. I don't carry cooking stuff other than a Joemotocross adjustafork from this site and some seasoning. Clothes, I don't carry much, the stuff on my body, a pair of shorts, one shirt and two socks. And now I wear two pairs of bicycle shorts at once....helps the bum and stores my second pair :D
  13. JimmyTheHuman

JimmyTheHuman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've messaged all my local dealers and hope to demo this weekend.

We (my wife also rides, we intend to buy a pair) had planned to ride USA on rentals in 2021, we have a trip mapped up east cost, to beartooth hwy, utah, natchez, NYC and everything in between...but your C19 situation is a little off putting. Stay safe!
    TexasStevo likes this.
  14. advadd

advadd n00b

Oddometer:
    Just goy my 2020 AT today - great bike. Three questions:

- The stock windscreen is underwhelming (too small), I ordered the Honda OEM tall version. Are there other options available from other manufacturers? - I like to try different options :)

- Here is a video how you can bypass the BT headset dongle requirement for Carplay. I could not get this to work. Can anyone with a US ( CA ) model comment if they got this to work?
    Edit: I got it to work myself. My problem was that Siri was not activated on my phone ( which apparently is needed for Carplay ). So yes I can confirm that this trick works on a US, CA model.

- Are there currently options available for bar-risers? Has anyone installed any risers? Was it necessary to reroute/extend any cables?
  15. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1)Can’t comment on the windscreen, I like the stock AS one.
    2) I couldn’t get the bypass to work either.
    3) I just installed some Rox Risers. Put the bars in the perfect spot for me. At 6’1”, reaching the bars when fully standing was only accomplished with my fingertips. Now it’s dead nuts on for me. Left side cables were zero issue. Right side cables needed a repositioning of one of the zip tie clip things on the wire looms, and the front brake hose grommet. I pulled the grommet off the hose and moved it down an inch or so and pushed the grommet and hose back into the bracket. Those risers and a Corbin seat and I feel like I can ride all day. IMG_8380.jpg
    advadd likes this.
  16. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    advadd likes this.
  17. chrisjohn

Oddometer:
    2020 ATAS oem windshield throw all the air over my Arai x4, no whistle. I'm 5'9ish.

Definitely more leg coverage then my 2017, but feels thinner.

2020 was such a great evolution for this bike and worth trading in the 17 even if I had lost my shorts, which I didn't. :clap
  18. chrisjohn

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on top case? Trax versus Givi versus tourtech....or something else...
  19. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I like mine for just about everything except tight and technical single track. Then I would want a light weight dual sport but this AT Std handles very well off road for a 520+ lb. adv bike. Handles better off road than my 2017 BMW R1200GSR.

A short ride for me is a 100 mile loop in my local mountain roads. A few weeks ago I did a 3 day two night 1,500 mile solo trip to northern California and enjoyed everything about the bike. On twisty two lane tarmac, I love to use all three sport modes on my DCT. S1 for the high speed turns and S3 for the tighter twisties. I switch to manual mode for tight two track when off road and turn off wheelie control. The torque this motor puts out is just amazing IMHO.
  20. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I bought the Honda OEM panniers and top case. I believe it is made by Givi. Works well, easy to install and one of the least expensive sets when you get 20% off retail from your local dealer. All three cases are keyed to the bike, you have to do the keying yourself and the locks come with the cases. Goes on and off the bike very easily. I have had Tusk, BMW and Brooks autosports aluminum cases in the past. So far, I like the BMW aluminum cases the best and then the Honda/Givi aluminum cases are a close second.