2020+ CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ghostrider.1127

Ghostrider.1127 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you can see how it´s work.
    scs at 1100_page-0001.jpg
    DCTFAN likes this.
  2. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link. By the way, one of my favorite rides was to Bella Coola in BC Canada a few years ago. We rode there just to ride "the hill" and had a great time. Looks like you have ridden to some excellent locations as well.

Here is a short video of my friends and I riding "the hill" 9 years ago. No GoPro back then just holding a camera as I rode. Not the best quality:
    InedibleRider likes this.
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Rode the hill into Bella Coola this summer it doesn't look much different than your trip a few years ago.

IMG_0767 Resize.jpg IMG_2181 Resize.jpg IMG_0758 Resize.jpg
  4. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A classic BC ride.

That road was actually built by the community of Bella Coola. The province wouldn't build the pass to connect to Hwy 20, so the locals said *uck it and built it themselves.

BC is close to 1,000,000 SQ KM of wilderness. Somehow I've been lucky enough to ride almost all of it. Best Place on Earth.
    2on2off likes this.
  5. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I agree! When we did that ride to Bella Coola, we left Central California at 4:00 a.m. and, 940 miles later, arrived in Kelso Washington at 7:00 p.m.. Slabbed it in one day to get to the good stuff. Riding to Bella Coola has been one of my favorite multiday rides. Too many great places to ride to and not enough time.....
    InedibleRider and ommoran like this.
  6. BikeRiderOH

BikeRiderOH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone notice that the prices dropped on the leftover 2020's? Looks like they dropped $1400 locally in NE Ohio on the Standard's. I'm planning to get a Standard as soon as I can.
  7. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just looked at the dealer I bought my AS from. They have one standard left and it indeed has been discounted $2500. A couple weeks ago it was still MSRP.
  8. slowcoach

slowcoach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Yorkshire, England. Gods Own County.
    They were discounted in autumn over here, likely due to various lockdowns and store closures caused by that virus thingy. I bought a new stripper (basic, unclothed 1100) at the end of September for £8750 (excluding horrific UK sales tax to make comparisons easier), so around US $11800 B4 sales tax.
    List price over here would be around US $14800 (again, excluding UK sales tax). I think the bike is overpriced at MSP, and I paid fair money. I was shocked at Honda pricing. Checked out Honda luggage rack - £330 + tax!!! So SW Motech got my money (£88+tax and of excellent quality), as did Oxford for the heated grips (£45+tax).
  9. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    So what's everyone's opinion on getting a 2019 ATAS on the cheap vs getting a 2020 AT standard? Did the 2019 ATAS have tubeless wheels or not? That color is hideous though, not sure if I could get used to it..
  10. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    2019 and prior AT's all have tubed wheels. The 2020 AT std also has tubed wheels and a smaller gas tank than the ATAS. All 2020 models have cruise control and a bunch of electronic aids. The 2020+ ATAS still has the fuel tank problems and it doesn't look like Honda has redesigned the ATAS fuel tank which is what they need to do. 2020+ ATAS has tubeless wheels and I wanted that but bought the AT std because I didn't want to deal with the fuel tank issue when I'm 50 miles from nowhere. There doesn't appear to be any fuel tank issues with the 5 gallon AT fuel tanks no matter the year 2016+. I was tempted to buy a 2019 AT but wanted the cruise control and updated motor. I had a 2016 AT DCT and enjoyed it and have over 5,000 miles on my 2020 AT std with DCT. Great bike and I also like the option of adding aluminum panniers to the 2020 AT from Honda. Don't know if GIVI has aluminum panniers for the 2019 AT or not. Fork issues have been reported with the 2019 AT std but nothing reported so far on the 2020 AT std forks. Mine are fine so far.

Prior posts indicate there are discounts available on the 2020 AT's.
    BikeRiderOH and merc16 like this.
  11. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed my TFT was not responding to touch today. Left bar buttons worked fine. This was both in CarPlay or the gauge display, with or without phone connected. On about the 3rd or 4th start up of the day, and the ride home, it was normal. Shut bike off and restarted a minute later and no response to touch again. It’s been about 3 weeks since the last ride, which had zero issues then. Think I’ll disconnect the battery overnight and see if it likes a reset. Anyone else see this yet?
  12. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.africatwinforum.com/threads/tft-screen-touch-not-responding.39266/#post-343981
    Myers79 likes this.
  13. Ghostrider.1127

Ghostrider.1127 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You´ll need to perform a deep reset from the ECU directly with MCS (No GST as will not do the job) first of all . You had CarPlay linked when the tactile stopped ?
    Myers79 likes this.
  14. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    Well, I negotiated a good deal from a local dealer and will be picking up my 2020 Standard Non-DCT this afternoon. Happy with the deal overall.

15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is a "deep reset" something new that came with the 2020 AT models?
    Was there such a feature available with the older AT's?
    Will most dealers know what this would be if requested by a customer?
    So many questions, I know, lol
    But any information you can share about what this reset would do, would be greatly appreciated.
  16. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did, yes. I connect it every ride. Come to think of it, on the ride home yesterday (hours after the tactile locked) my music stopped silent, then every couple minutes there was a beep/tone that would play at even intervals. Unplugged phone and back in at a light and it began normally again. I see in the diagrams that the usb port harness is connected directly to the TFT. Interesting.
  17. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    OK, I will be the first to admit I'm lazy. Too lazy thru trial and error to find out for myself what the optimal settings are for riding the AT standard off road. So I ask my fellow AT riders.

I've already read that you should turn off wheelie control or at least to it's lowest setting. What settings are riders using that's best all around for off road? Thanks in advance.
  18. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't turn wheelie control all the way off (0), it will cause TC to activate on slippery hills or spirited rough sections which will leave you without power to the wheel at inopportune times.
    BikeRiderOH likes this.
  19. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    Another question: the top case and pannier mount from Honda that retails for $337.95 comes in silver, I assume since they don't give you any choice. Anyone painting these black and what are you using? Thanks!
  20. PtoV

PtoV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought Givi in black. Same but different.