2020+ CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    IMG_E2520.JPG IMG_E2514.JPG IMG_E2522.JPG IMG_E2525.JPG
    I decided to live with the silver instead of buying aftermarket to get black. I installed the rear rack, panniers and top case. Everything keys to the bike key. This was the first time I keyed lock cylinders and found a video from another rider that helped me with the process. I have been very happy with the fit and finish and how easy it goes on and off the bike. I have had black and silver (natural) panniers through the years and I don't have to have black. Just my opinion.
    InedibleRider, merc16 and Nomadic_adv like this.
  2. PtoV

PtoV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The silver ones looks great and they are probably colder inside than the black ones in the sun. Better if you bring food.

I decided to live with the silver instead of buying aftermarket to get black. I installed the rear rack, panniers and top case. Everything keys to the bike key. This was the first time I keyed lock cylinders and found a video from another rider that helped me with the process. I have been very happy with the fit and finish and how easy it goes on and off the bike. I have had black and silver (natural) panniers through the years and I don't have to have black. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
  3. BikeRiderOH

BikeRiderOH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks, I appreciate your responses but I was looking for replies from those that have actually painted the OEM mount black. Thanks.

4. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    So I took a longish ride on the AT today and noticed something curious when letting off the throttle. After initially lowering RPM's the engine seems to "hang" at around 2k RPM's even though I've completely removed my hand off the throttle. Eventually the RPM's drift down but man is it a shock when you expect to be slowing at a stop or curve and the bike is still carrying power not from me! Anyone else have this experience?
  5. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect it's the reduced engine breaking setting. I don't think they change the actual compression of the engine. In stead, the computer eases of the throttle very slowly to reduce breaking.

I would suggest to try max engine breaking setting and see if it changes.

Cheers
    Myers79 likes this.
  6. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that one time entering a curve coming up on a slower vehicle. It only happened once, and it was right after I installed Grip Puppies, so I wasn’t sure if it was me getting used to the new thickness of the grip or the bike...but it really felt like the bike. And I don’t mess with my engine braking now that it’s set, so that wasn’t it fo me at least.
  7. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    Possibly engine braking, I've had bikes in the past that had very little engine braking but this felt different. Less control.

RE: setting the engine braking. Can you do this in any of the ride modes or only under User 1/2?

8. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I believe you can do it in any ride mode but I haven't messed with mine that much to know for sure. Took me a while just to learn how to completely turn off wheelie control. Not as easy as I would like.
  9. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you can do it in any mode, but it will not save for future, unless you are in user mode. I don't have a 2020 model, so can't be sure. Either way, go to max engine breaking and see if it still does it (I don't think it will). I do remember someone else reporting the same thing.
  10. jandeneire

jandeneire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    Just received my upgraded comfort seat from the upholsterer....., + 2,5cm, memory foam,gel insert and a very high quality designed cover!
    Super happy with it and very comfortable....look yourself....it´s a piece of art...:-):-) at saddle3.jpg at saddle2.jpg at saddle1.jpg

http://www.somotokarpit.hu/somoto_ang.htm

a great guy to deal with ....good prices...and seats he deliver are pieces of artwork...!!
  11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've admittedly not made it through all 36 pages of this thread, but perhaps someone can give me a place to look or an inmate to ask...

Considering the 2020 AT base manual as a replacement for my 950 ADV. Is anyone riding these on any tougher terrain? Most of what I've seen pictured in this thread has been beautiful, but on the milder side of what I like to do. Different strokes for different folks. Looking to go Japanese instead of Austrian and I'm afraid the smaller motor of the T7 won't trip my trigger. About 100hp and 500lbs seems to be the right choice for me.

Why the 2020? I'm digging the tech offered by this model year. Why the base? Lower weight and I can customize with my choice of protection. Don't need or want the bigger tank. Why the manual? Because.

Thanks in advance for any intel.
    Amphib and merc16 like this.
  12. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    Search for 2020 Africa Twin ADV Pulse. It is an excellent review on the base manual and the guy really puts the bike through the paces off road. I am close to pulling the trigger on one myself.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  13. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    If you’re talking about a YT video, I think I’ve seen that one. Just looking for more verification. Thanks.
  14. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    My experience is on the' 17, but with the changes, I would expect it to be similar, probably better given the updated forks, in fact one of the more popular fixes is to use the updated outters on the older bikes. From everything I've read, the 950/990 was the benchmark honda was aiming at. There's quite a few riders I've heard from who made that switch and haven't looked back... And of course guys who weren't happy. I probably ride mine in rougher conditions then average and other than my oem suspension, the bike eats it up. Since upgrading the suspension (ohlin forks) it's a completely different animal and I'm still shocked how well it does. (ohlin shock is arriving this week). Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

I just realized this is the owners thread, so apologies.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  15. BikeRiderOH

Oddometer:
    I just went through all the mental gymnastics and recently bought a 2020 base manual. My last bike was a BMW F800. The bike is very capable and will feel lighter than the 950 IMO and should be comparable off-road. The 950 might beat it in the suspension attributes but that can be improved on the AT with mods of course, if desired. I've not had any off-road with it yet since we are in winter snow in NE Ohio but looking forward to trying it out.

DirtyDog likes this.
  16. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm picking up a fancy new bike on Saturday.:ricky

It's the only one within a few hundred miles and I'm paying less than msrp. So I can't really complain. Not many available in my vicinity.
    merc16 and Amphib like this.
  17. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I took my 2020 standard on some technical 4x4 trails in the mountains last summer and it did very well. The 21" front tire works well off road and the bike is very planted and makes great torque down low. Didn't have any problem so I would say the only limit is rider skill with this 500+ lb. bike. I sold my 2016 AT to my friend who is a much better rider off road than me and he said that bike was the best handling 500+ lb. adv bike he has ever owned. I saw him ride it in deep sand with no problem.

IMG_2010.jpg
  18. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    I've yet to really hear a negative review about the tougher terrain. I have heard that it's a nice transition for someone used to a 950ADV, and that's me. Looking forward to riding it, but I'll probably try to avoid the shit till I can look it over and decide the best protection options. I managed life with the stock belly pan on my 950 and I only recently hit a rock hard enough to crack it. The crash bars and barkbusters were a good thing to have on multiple occasions.
    merc16 likes this.
  19. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:

Mad Mick is always a good resource if you wonder at what the limits of your AT might be. I watch these vids and am quite aware his skills are not mine.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  20. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what skidplate he's got in that video? It seems to have a lot more engine coverage than what I've seen in others. Probably a light, but effective alternative to skid + engine guards.

Looks like his only protection is the skid and Barkbuster brand handguards. He's definitely bashing it harder than I would. Impressive.