2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually that made me think of an easy solution for those of us who don’t care to wear BT headsets: a small BT speaker on the bike or in a case that the Car Play can pair with.
  2. ATADV3

ATADV3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi to all the inmates..... in your 2020 AT do you have a tire pressure monitor system?Has anyone bought the Adv Sports with a standard 6-speed non quick shift?
  3. Nostop

Nostop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s no tyre pressure monitor, i have a ATAS ES standard gearbox thats not got the quick shifter, the gearbox is silky smooth and the clutch is very light. Not done many miles as the weather has been shocking and I haven’t had the time yet, plus I’m still waiting on the PLUS Edition kit to turn up.
  4. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus edition?:scratch
  5. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
  6. DAKRIDER

DAKRIDER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1st Annual Africa Twin Motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally not for profit

1st Annual Africa Twin Motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally
    About this Event
    Xplor-Int LLC and the Oak Barrel Cafe are pleased to announce our 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally being held at 35206 National Pike Northeast Little Orleans, MD 21766 on August 14-16, 2020.

This event provides riders of all skill levels an opportunity to ride with and learn from adventurers from all over the world.

The 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally is designed for Honda ADVENTURE and DUAL SPORT owners but is open to all brands of street legal motorcycles.

Come join us at our 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally, at The Oak Barrel Cafe, for numerous activities and riding opportunities.

ROUTES
    Participants will have the opportunity to ride various tracks and routes throughout the Green Ridge State Forest, MD. There will be options for every level skill as routes will vary in difficulty and distance. Routes will be available onsite at the event and there will be an option for riders to go out on their own with fellow enthusiasts on self-guided GPS rides or just following the provided PDF State Forest map. Some route portions are part of the MABDR.

CAMPOUT
    We’ve added two-night overnight camping to the rally at no cost. Friday night dinner, Saturday morning breakfast, Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast will be included at The Oak Barrel Cafe with a free gift card. Limited space available.

RIDER AND BIKE REGULATIONS
    Riders must be 18 years or older..

Riders must be the registered owner of their motorcycle.

The motorcycle must be street legal and in good working order with proper street legal, off-road tires.

Riders must supply current, functioning GPS unit

Riders should supply their own personal locator beacon (SPOT, Delorme, Garmin)..

WHAT IS INCLUDED:
    * Three days off-road riding for all skill levels

* Free primitive camping on site (water, electric, bathrooms available)

* Campfire and local BandÂ

* Free Training half day (3-4 hours)

* Free T-shirt for pre-registered participants

* 2 each Breakfast, 2 each Dinner, adult beverages not includedÂ

* All adventure bikes welcome like Honda CB500X · NC750X · NC700X · VFR1200X· CRF450L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Share With Friends

Date And Time
    Fri, Aug 14, 2020, 11:30 AM –

Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 4:00 PM EDT

Add to Calendar

35206 National Pike Northeast

Little Orleans, MD 21766

View Map
  7. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can sign up here.

8. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where's the aftermarket accessories for this bike? Its been out in Europe since November and as of late March can't find anything for the bike. Not looking for the Honda accessory junk. Footpegs, rear luggage racks, crash bars, bark busters - anyone know where this stuff is?? Seems pretty late in the season here for nothing to be available for the bike?
  9. Fastyke

Fastyke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Barkbusters are available.
    Heed crashbars also available.
    MRA screens: Variotouringscreen, Touring windshield, Sport-Screen are available.
    Outback Motortek crashbars in development, normally available by May.
  10. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if the 2020 seat will just fit right on a 2018 ATAS?
  11. jwaits61

jwaits61 n00b

Oddometer:
    Puig has also a good set of farkles for this bike

https://puig.tv/es/bybike/honda_crf1100l-africa-twin-adventure-sports_2020
  12. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think so, as the frame is different, but can't confirm.
  13. african_iceman

african_iceman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    #stay AT home #stayhome

mikehi, pepebayeta and windowto like this.
  14. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heed is not shipping due to CV19. Does anyone know if you can get the Hepco Beckers in Canada, including the engine guard for the AS DCT (2020)? Also, a link for the Barkbusters?
  15. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really relevant now, but worth bookmarking for the future. Pop Motorcycle Rentals in Chiang Mai has both models of the new 1100 in stock available for rental! Sort of a long trip just to try one out, but they are here!
    GeoAggie and Nihon Newbie like this.
  16. Fastyke

Fastyke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the barkbusters: barkbusters.net and then 'where to buy'
    BHG082 (productnr for the alu-handels)
  17. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick 2000 KM update on the ATAS standard from a ten year lurker based in southern BC...

I was able to snag a set of SW-Motech Pro carriers from a shop in the UK. I've mounted a set of Mosko Backcountry panniers. The racks required three new holes per side as per the Mosko fitment page, but was easily done on the bike with a small clamp. I also picked up a set of OEM tank pads as my riding pants were scuffing the paint.

I've done a series of smaller road and gravel loops locally, as well as a 600KM day trip up what I call the Lytton-Lillooet loop. Vancouver to Hope, up the Fraser Canyon via Hwy 1 to Lytton, Hwy 12 from Lytton to Lillooet, then 99 back to Vancouver. Due to Covid the roads were empty and with the sun out totally dry. For those that don't know these roads, they are mostly narrow and winding through mountain passes and river valleys. Perfect for pushing the touring and sport side of the bike. There was an approximately 80km section of very twisty mountain pass on the Duffy Lake section of hwy 99 that was still very heavily gravelled from winter. There was also some snow and ice involved. I'd say with the stock tires, solid, shiny ice may have been the upper limit of the bikes capabilities ;) That being said it stayed upright through 45 minutes of on and off the bike micro maneuvers.

So, my impressions of the bike so far (fair warning, I spent the last 9 years and 100,000km on a KLR, so I may be a bit giddy still). It is everything the 18-19 AS wanted to be. It is smaller and feels lighter to the touch, but doesn't in any well feel diminished by that. With the suspension and other user control, it truly feels like the right tool for the job in every scenario I've run it through (except the ice). I was really impressed how the profile settings tuned it down from what is essentially a well mannered sport bike on the highway, into a high powered, soft, thumper gravel and off road. I've programmed a user setting with max power, hard suspension and no rider assists which turns the thing into a snarly, squealy monster. Tons of fun in short bursts. Anyway, all that to say that the profile system is great and not as gimmicky as I imagined. The bike is an absolutely, hands down, blast to ride. For me that really separates it from the GS or the orange fella. They are great bikes, but I just don't feel like a teenager on a sport bike when I ride them. This AS does that for me...but it will also take me up the side of a mountain. It is also extremely well mannered when cruising the highway or in city traffic. It never begs for more and is really comfortable maintaining any speed. The power is linear and predictable. When you want to light it up though, its there.

Build quality is exceptional and the engineering feels like it was done thoughtfully and carefully. The Darkness Metallic black paint is gorgeous, but does seem a bit fragile. The tubeless rims are beautiful, although with the slightly brushed finish may be a pain to clean.

I use android, so no carplay. I also use wired in ear monitors for hearing protection, music and the rare call. Not so ideal with this system. I hate battery powered headphones as I often ride 10-12 hour days and will usually have music the whole time. I ended up having to buy a $30 Bluetooth amp to plug my monitors into. The bike really wanted to route audio through Bluetooth headset and my phone didn't have the capacity to override that for more than one app. The setup works well and frees my phone from the cord for easy photos. If the Bluetooth amp runs low I can charge it off the 12v outlet on the bike while I ride.

Pretty happy with the setup. Just need someone to build a center stand and some protection, then the world needs to stop ending, then it will be ready for some real adventures this summer. 20200325_143905-01.jpeg 20200325_135845-01.jpeg 20200325_124345-01.jpeg
    US7IGN, DirtyDog, TMORAN and 8 others like this.
  18. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    beautiful country out west.
    Need to go back once this C19 menance is under control
    https://goo.gl/maps/6wdAKENTXx4s4mZ48
    spent many days taking different routes.
    There's some amazing riding west of hwy 12, by Boston Bar. You can end up in Lill via that way, mostly challenging gravel
    [​IMG]

Lilooet to Pemberto via D'arcy is prob an all time favourite. All gravel.

yet another in that area, is instead of taking the big bar ferry across the river, stay on the east side, and go south to Lill

[​IMG]
    sirvelo, Nihon Newbie and TimmyTheHog like this.
  19. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love that area...miss it so much...
  20. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    it's a gem!
    22% grade, it's the climb up from the previous picture, at this point you're level with the top of Clinton Pavillion Road, a doozie.
    [​IMG]

it spits you out here.. Tenere is pointing north, this fast gravel road can bypass all teh way up to the west east connector to 97
    [​IMG]

which can take you to lill via CPR

[​IMG]
    sirvelo, TimmyTheHog and Nihon Newbie like this.