2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    InedibleRider
    I have the Honda centrestand on my 20 ATAS, it works great. I had a local shop put paint protection film on my tank and on the side fairings from the tank toward the back because I too was noticing severe scuffing of the clear coat from my Klim pants.
  2. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

I have a request for you, now we can't ride.

Could somebody measure the diameter in the narrowest part of the fork upper tubes?

Thank you in advance!

fork tube.jpg
  3. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Any reports on the quality of the spokes on the tubeless wheels? My 2016 AT DCT spokes were very poor quality and corroded the first time I drove through some salty water. Took the finish right off.

Loved the 2016 AT DCT but couldn't live with tubed wheels on that heavy a bike so I sold it after a year and bought a 2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye which I am still riding. I'm interested in the 2020 AT DCT because I like the DCT and it now has tubeless spoke wheels. Can't believe it doesn't come with a center stand. That was the first thing I installed on my 2016 AT. I want to hear about the quality of the spokes on the 2020 AT tubeless spoke wheels.

Thanks in advance. No 2020 AT's currently available in California that I know of.
  4. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are some at Beaverton Motorcycles near Portland Oregon. Was just there yesterday and they had a few.
    2on2off likes this.
  5. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2020AT DCT Adventure Sport. The bike feels amazing - seems to have torque and power beyond what the stats say on paper, I found that weird, but good. I understood Honda addressed the spoke issue a couple of years ago. Wheels and spokes look perfect so far, although they have low mileage with this garbage Spring we are having in the Pacific Northwest.
    sirvelo and 2on2off like this.
  6. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like AltRider is about to release their catalogue for the 1100: https://www.altrider.com/product/category/fmaid/9/cid/1/d/Parts+and+Accessories+for+Honda
    2on2off likes this.
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Did Honda ever fix the front fork problem in the (2016 - forward) Africa Twins? If yes, what model year did the fix first appear? Did any owner of a 2016 or newer Africa Twin with the fork problem, get taken care of by Honda or did they have to pay for the fix themselves? Not sure if I can count on Honda to take care of their customers customers anymore when a problem comes up.
  8. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just managed to order the Givi lower guards, SW main stand and side stand enlarger from French outfit called Africa Twin Shop. Great pricing. They have a few other brands and an assortment of other products as well. We'll see what happens with trying to get it into North America.
    sirvelo likes this.
  9. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    There is an entire thread about the CRF1000 suspension, you'll likely find your answer there which is, in short, no.
    2on2off likes this.
  10. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Read much of the AT suspension threads. Looks like Honda didn't fix the problem and maybe the AT adv sports model forks are ok.

Do any of you know what forks are used on the 2020 AT ES?
  11. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    Seems to be similar (not same) to 2018 ATAS for all 2020 models. So the problem should be fixed.
  12. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    2on2off, that’s why i asked for this. Just for being sure

13. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much ready to go except for side stand expansion plate and full protection kit from Outback Motortek which looks like availability end of April. Still lots of ice and frozen snow outside the garage so don’t want to dump the bike two feet outside the garage without the crash bars. The Lytton-Lillooet ride loop by InedibleRider posted earlier on this thread is on my list for my AT as well so great to read his impressions. Did the loop on my VFR a few years back and it was a little hairy in spots.
    A4E6F374-B739-4342-A415-FF131F617E5E.jpeg 53D1D757-BF58-4FB0-BE08-B67FC027AE6D.jpeg
    TMORAN, dtysdalx2, Motorwerx and 5 others like this.
  14. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    6.6 inches or 17 cm
    A3B4716A-4116-4CB8-BF97-B8CB15D4C506.jpeg
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  15. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    I really apreciate it, but it should be much better measuring the diameter with a specific tool (I don't know its name in English, but it's "calibre" in Spanish), because a little margin of error means a lot.

I mean:
    - That point is 55mm diameter in 2018-19 ATAS and it's stiff, with no problems.
    - Thant point is 51mm diameter in 2016-2019 standard AT, and it's weak, flex A LOT and brings wear issues.

But:
    - If that point is 6.6 inches circunference in 2020 AT-ATAS, then it's 53.36mm diameter, and
    - If that point is 17cm circunference, then it's 54.1mm diameter, wich is better.

Probably 53.3mm is ok, but i don't understand why Honda (or Showa) didn't keep the previous ATAS 55.5mm.
    Highaltrider likes this.
  16. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    A caliper.
  17. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    There's tons of stuff out there.
    The 2020 has a different part number. I forgot where I posted it.
    Honda warrantied my tubes, but only because I had a connection at the dealer. Otherwise, they were ignorant morons about the issue as a whole.

btw..your 2016 could have been sorted with outex. Seems a bit quick to sell a bike due to tubes. But what ever floats your boat, sinks your sub.
    My 2017 spokes look tarnished. KTM has the exact same issue, and I'm pretty sure BMW has it. I wouldn't hold my breath on the 2020s being fixed.
    Besides, they spokes don't seize. They can still be adjusted. Not sure what the fuss is about.
  18. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I have owned a number of BMW R1200GSA and currently have a 2017 R1200GS Rally. None of these BMW's had any quality issues with the spokes or suspension. I rode one of my GSA's all the way to Bella Coola and the whole bike got covered in calcium and other stuff that was on the dirt road, "the hill", and it was a mess to clean up. After I got back, it took me a few days to clean everything off the bike but when I was done, everything looked like new. No damage to any of the spokes or any other parts on the bike. Here is a video I shot of riding "the hill".

I really like the DCT on the AT and that would be the main reason I would buy another one but in the meantime, the quick shifter on my GS is good enough for now.

I tried to make a 2011 Triumph T100 spoke wheels tubeless but failed so I'm not confident in the Outex solution even though it works well for other riders. I just hate dealing with tubes when I get a flat. I had a flat on one of my GSA's and just plugged it which worked out great. Many riders have no trouble changing tubes but not me. That is on me, not the wheels.

If I had unlimited funds, which I don't, I would have a couple of BMW GS's, a Goldwing Tour DCT and and new ATES DCT. If BMW ever comes out with a DCT GS, that could be my only bike.
    Podman, TimmyTheHog and sirvelo like this.
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    That road is on my list. Been to LIlooet plenty, and the area, but Bella Coola is a ride on its own.

Honda surprised me in several spots as far as their quality of build and design. And not in a good way.
    The spokes tarnish, but still function. To me it's not a big deal. To some it's a very big deal.
    To me the forks were an absolute joke, and how honda handled it. That said, the 21/18 combo is a revelation on the rough stuff.
    The outex worked well for me, and it still keeping me happy. Oddly enough, I had two flat tubes on the front prior to doing the swap, and none after (20 k km). Didn't enjoy changing tubes on the road.. agreed, plug and go is the way to go. I never air down, so don't really worry about the tire.
    Personally DCT is not up my alley. Not really interested in the extra weight and complexity. It's not fool proof either. A clutch is fine.

My next bike will be lighter. I rode a 2013 WC GS and loved it...but couldn't justify at the time.
    790R...sounds about right for the next ride. AT will do nicely till then.
    TimmyTheHog likes this.
  20. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tedious is it to turn HSTC off on the 2020?
    I see they got rid of the index finger control for HSTC in prev. model