2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Did Honda make it easier to change the air cleaner on the 2020 bike?
    x32792 likes this.
  2. Boxerbro

Boxerbro Free Spirit

Oddometer:
    Nope, still need to to remove fairing etc.
  3. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, just saw black one.
    2on2off likes this.
  4. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    That is what I thought. Not a deal breaker. Now that you can get an AT with tubeless spoke wheels and DCT, I'll be looking to get one when the world gets back to normal.
  5. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AS is as easy as setting * button to HSTC then can be tuned in any rider setting with one button. Default setting from what I can tell.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  6. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked the bike up in January in BC and have put about 3000km, sadly including plenty of salt, brine and other junk. Only finish issue so far is one of the bolts that came with the SW-Motech Pro carriers. The paint on the non DCT AS is another story.
  7. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate about the paint?

Thanks
  8. InedibleRider

InedibleRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The paint is sexy, but not at all robust. My cordura pants left the tank marred after a few rides. Someone else on here mentioned the same issue. Apparently he had the dealer put a coating on the bike which has worked well. I put tank pads on which sorted it out. It has cleaned up well from bugs and handled road debris well.
  9. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I've heard the same: easy to scuff:( Seems like tank pads are a must.

Really surprised at that with Honda.

Also, read on Africatwinforums that the fuel starvation/tank contamination is manifesting itself on the 2020 ATAS as well. If true, this really sucks. Any of the 2020 ATAS owners can chime in with their mileage(?)
  10. satx_tengu

satx_tengu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1258.JPEG IMG_1259.JPEG IMG_1261.JPEG IMG_1270.JPEG IMG_1267.JPEG IMG_1264.JPEG IMG_1263.JPEG This is what I found when I removed the fuel pump on my 2020 ATAS!
  11. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That really sucks, can't believe they didn't fix this issue! Sorry you have to deal with it. I have a 2016DCT non-ATAS /no problem. In my mind I was buying the 2020 ATAS. It makes me think twice about it now:(.

It would be interesting to see how Honda deals with it. Please let us know and good luck.

Thanks
  12. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not going to put "Honda" and "reliable" in the same sentence anymore!
    windowto likes this.
  13. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like junk from fuel fill ups, nothing to do with Honda at all.
    Podman, motocopter and 4bikes like this.
  14. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sound like you work for Honda, lol

Think what you want, but don't insult the owners who posted their experiences with the issue to help others.

FYI,
    Owners of Adventure Sports model year 2018 and 2019 have posted this prevalent issue with the tank finish.
    Now a 2020 model owner has posted the same problem and you think this is just bad fuel?
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  15. satx_tengu

satx_tengu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sure wish it was junk from fuel fillups. However, I shouldn't be getting hesitation and throttle hiccups on a bike that has less than 1,000 miles on it.
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  16. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to notice the pictures of the weld seams he posted as well.
  17. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Distancerider

Distancerider n00b

Oddometer:
    "pump on my 2020 ATAS!" Well, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out if that came from the bike or from the fuel. However, if it came from the bike, why did this happen? If this were a boat we would point the finger at ethanol (hygroscopic and has solvent-like characteristics meaning it dissolves stuff that wasn't designed to run on ethanol). Thanks for sharing and if you would be so kind as to keep us informed of how this is resolved it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to buy an ATAS but while Japanese quality is legendary they still have to earn it every time the durable good leaves the factory.
    jimmex likes this.
  19. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a well known and well documented problem with the 2018-2019 ATAS. You'd think that Honda would have fixed the issue with the new 2020 model but I guess they didn't. For details you should check the 2018-2019 ATAS thread on this forum. It's an anoying problem but there's an easy fix.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's fuel. This is my former Concours 14 with around 18 months and 16k miles back in 2013. Changing the filter was then done at every valve clearance check afterwards. Replace the filter in my AT's pump at 19k when I checked those valve clearances. Nothing really unusual in the AT filter--just the same black smegma.

Concours 14 filter:

Fuel_Filter_Cleaning_2013AUG20 (5).JPG Fuel_Filter_Cleaning_2013AUG20 (9).JPG Fuel_Filter_Cleaning_2013AUG20 (11).JPG