2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have a convertible sports car. That satisfies my needs for strafing the twisties.
    DubbleRNR likes this.
  2. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    sent you an email
  3. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone gonna get a really nice 890, @michaeln was doing the mods from day 1. What are you driving? MX5 by chance?
    NotRiding likes this.
  4. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    Yep. 2020 MX-5. I have already done Koni shocks, springs (lowered it), wheels, tires, exhaust. I never leave anything stock.
    Gone Troppo and hypersports like this.
  5. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, no doubt that thing is incredible in the mountains :thumb
  6. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :tb
    mminob likes this.
  7. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Any updates from owners, good or bad? Thanks.
  8. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me about the character of the engine and transmission.
    vtbob likes this.
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

Its like the engine hates the rear tire... trying to shred it on every corner exit... its excellent.

I adore mine! Recently I have felt a bit bored with riding... the 890 has brought the love back in a MAJOR way!
  10. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Have you started to explore the limits? Does the front feel OK braking into a turn? From what I've read they're very happy changing direction. Is it confidence inspiring on the side of the tires in fast turns? Have you had any problems: electronic, fluid leaks, transmission, etc.? Thanks!
  11. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    I bought the 890 from michaeln. Good guy. He had it just long enough to buy a bunch of cool stuff for it and sell it to me! My street bike for the last ten years or so has been a KTM 950 Super Enduro. Pretty happy with it really, except that it is so big.

Engine.

More power than I expected, especially down low. You can ride through the mountains in one gear and have plenty of get. Pulls pretty hard from about 3000. Feels good down there. You can definitely feel the power pulses but no snatch or jerk. Usable. Feels lean through the midrange, I will be buying a fueling solution when it becomes simple and easy. It you are in the top third of the rev range it is fast. Very smooth. I find myself in fifth gear going down the freeway sometimes.

Suspension

If you are on smooth pavement you can do no wrong. This thing is light and small and requires very little effort to turn. Things happen very quickly. The combination of power, brakes and ability to turn make this thing much more capable through the tight stuff than I am. So far! Rough stuff is another story. Even with suspension set at "comfort" settings. It is so rough that I would hesitate to take it down dirt roads. Hafta fix that.

The plan

Looking for a set of forks from a 790 adventure s. I believe they will slide right in to my triples. Send them out and have them made plush. Find a high quality shock and do the same to it. Light weight 17 inch spoke/tubless wheel set with Anakee wilds or similar, a high/scrambler exhaust and have a bike that is fun on the street or dirt. The goal is 340 pounds dry. Much smaller and lighter than a 790/890 adventure. Guessing this thing will be less limited in the dirt by virtue of its size and weight than my super enduro. Project!
  12. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

I like and agree with everything you said except putting a dirt bike suspension on it. I think you'll ruin it.
  13. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

Started to?? Son i live in Eastern Tennessee... this bike gets USED. Everything the poster @they said (except that changing suspension stuff) is spot on. I have upgraded suspensions on every nile for a long time, never had one that felt like this. My RC51 with WSBK front suspension was similar, but the 890 is so much lighter. Like They said, you can "do no wrong." Forget you're riding a motorcycle.. forget it completely. Just image you can fly, and think your way through the corners... that's all you have to do...it's just like flying...
    oic likes this.
  14. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    The suspension will be quick-change. Complete front end, wheel, single disc, master cylinder to slide right in to the triple clamps. Don't want to modify the stock stuff because it really is bitchen for the street. I figure about an hour and a half to switch. Too cool a bike to be confined to the street.
    SR1 likes this.
  15. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

Acceptable.

I love the 890s suspension. I have it dialed in very well and I especially love how it settles after a bump... like a cat landing on a rubber mat...not the LEAST sensation of bounce or dive... so controlled...
  16. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Nice...
  17. crackerguy

crackerguy Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 890 has been sitting in the garage gathering dust, mainly because I have been spending all my spare time working on or riding a 2007 300 XCW I bought a few months back.

If you have one, be careful with the dash! Somehow mine got splattered with something in the garage (I think it was Mag Wheel cleaner I was using to clean up aluminum parts for the 300) and it etched the dash. It also scratches very easily.

Luckily mine buffed up nicely with Plexus, and I added the Speedo Angels Dash Protector, I highly recommend it. Do the wet install, its the way to go.

Got out for a couple of hundred miles today, bike was great. I installed a Power Parts tall comfort seat, I like the little bit of extra leg room and it is nice and firm.

[​IMG]
  18. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a thought on how low ambient temperature can be for those Power Cup 2 tires?
  19. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: