2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a duke 690 before their 890? I love my 2017 duke, and it was my first taste of the Orange. Two years, 7k trouble free miles, and I'm ready to consider more. I'm planning to test the 690 smc-r. ( It wasn't released when I got my duke.) I'd like to turn the duke up to '11'.
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Can’t help with your question, but I am curious why you think going from the Duke to the SMC R will be turning it up to 11.
  3. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
    Electronics package and suspension. I got my duke just as KTM stopped installing the 'track pack'. So short of an ecm swap, I'm never getting 'track' modes, or any of the other goodies.
  4. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just curious as I said.

Glad to hear it has been solid. I really want an 890 but sort of iffy on reliability. Thanks.
  5. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a used 2020 890 Duke R with a little over a 1100 miles. It wasn't even on my radar a couple of weeks ago. I had a chance to sit on one while stopping by the dealer to look at the new Super Duke 1290. I found the seating position to be even better than the 1290. After getting home my interest really peaked after I watched several YouTube videos. Reviews were all extremely positive.

My first 50 mile ride did not disappoint. This is one really FUN bike!

[​IMG]
    Treedguy, Florida Lime, oic and 4 others like this.
  6. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Nice can.
  7. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michaeln,

I finally quit racing my 500 EXC-F at 81 years old and got the 890 Duke R. That thing is the way for my beat up (hare scrambles) body to go. What a bike! The Seat Concepts seat is the most comfortable between the stock and KTM gel seats for me but then I ride my 500 in dual sport environments now so my butt has a different expectation.

Dragon Rider,

I had a '16 KTM 690 Duke that I set up like the R model. Unbelievably light, agile and quick. It has been my favorite street bike even beating out the Norton Fastback I had back in '69. The new 890 beats them both. It has the light, quick great handling feel of the 690 Duke with the longer legs of the Norton.

Stu 2021-Duke-R-JS (1 of 8).jpg
    STLR, hellsbuddha, oic and 3 others like this.
  8. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    This is legendary.
    Gone Troppo and Florida Lime like this.
  9. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I will confirm as the lucky owner of some of Stu's previous bikes - he and his bikes are legendary! I am half his age and not sure I could ride as hard as he does.

Stu - come ride with us in TN! I know of a 450 you could borrow ;)
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  10. Stu

Oddometer:
    SR1,

The 500 is a hoot, especially off road. The KTM adventure bikes can't keep up in really rough stuff RodsPix3Amegos-JS.jpg and I can still hit 100 MPH on the pavement. It is fierce, has a Vortex & Akrapovic, lots of weight dropped from it, desmogged, stock gearing but with a Rekluse for the really nasty trails. Every 890 Duke R needs a companion 500 EXC-F to cozy up to in the garage. A pix of me in Colorado last October with friends.

Stu
    hypersports and oic like this.
  11. Stu

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite to TN! I think I would prefer to ride down there on the Duke and then ride some of your twisties. And yes I still miss the 690 Duke. What a fun bike!

Stu
  12. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Stu I'd be honored to take you around to some of my favorite twisties. Sounds like you're a hell of a rider so that would be great. Let me know when you're coming.
    Note, I'm planning on doing back to back BDRs in either June or July, so please come before or after that if possible.
  13. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    lovely!
  14. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a '15 SDR. I have had it for a couple of years now and it had been a great bike. I did add a Rotti stage 3 intake and block off plates. Lat year it got a new rear tire and battery. Of course, the two year itch has come around. I do have soft luggage on it and can do some light touring. However, with a four-year-old and a four-month-old I don't know when I will be doing that again.

I do miss the up and down quickshifter of my S1000XR. I sold that when my first daughter was born as it was a bit too touring for me. Now, I find that my SDR is big and touring capable but maybe a bit bigger than I need (or I'm just coming up with excuses to get a new bike). I's tempted by the 890 as it is lighter and a bit more nimble and seems to serve my purpose of taking an afternoon twisties ride. I assume you can put a tail bag on it for a two day trip or commuting with a laptop and gym bag.

Anyone gone from a SDR to a Duke 890? Any other feedback?
  15. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    They look great. Take one for a ride.
  16. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 890r is PERFECT for an afternoon in the twisties. There is no better choice currently available for that specific mission.

I went to buy a SDR but could not arrange a test ride at the time so I ended up with a Duke 890R. This past weekend I had a chance to test ride the 2021 SDR and I was surprised how much better I like the 890. It does what I want it to do (play in the corners) a lot better than the 1290. It is also smoother and more comfortable while returning better fuel mileage.

One other bike you might consider but may not be on your radar is the 2020+ Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX. They did a really nice revision on it last year. It may not be quite as nimble as the 890 but. it is not too far behind. It would be a bit better on longer rides. Pricing is likely very close between the two.
  17. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Yamaha did a nice job with the new MT09 too if you're shopping the 890R.
  18. Stu

Oddometer:
    I agree with bmac. The 890 R is a great bike to enjoy all kinds of roads including some straight ones. We have lots of the latter in Kansas. I have the Seat Concepts seat on my 890R and it makes longer trips really pleasant. The R model gives you suspension you can adjust for road conditions (endless tar snakes come to mind). It has better front brake components which might be important if some jerk tries to cut you off -- or it has far more power with the remap and Akrapovic exhaust system to just outrun jerks. No other brand approaches the 890 R for performance value.

Stu
  19. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a big Ninja fan as the components, feel, and electronics are not up to snuff. I'm also interested in Tuono 660 as it checks all the same boxes although down on power compared to the Duke but electrics seem awesome and it wins in the looks department.
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't either (until I rode a 2021) but we shared a similar history and interests so I figured it was worth mentioning. I had 2 BMW S1000XR's (40K+ miles) as well as a few Tuono's and was also looking at the 660. The updated Kawasaki has the latest electronics and I actually like the engine better than the XR's. The chassis and handling is on par with the XR as well. If you are not a big guy the Tuono 660 may work. Aprilia makes some gorgeous bikes and I have been waiting for a Tuono 1100 GT for several years. I still think the Duke 890r should be on the top of your list.
    Patek likes this.