2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good feedback. I am 6'1" so that may rule out the Tuono 660.

I found this well optioned bike, but it does need an exhaust, in TN which Is where I bought my SD from doing a fly and ride. Does the SWMotech soft tail bag fit on this thing?

Tempting. Thoughts on pricing? Thinking offering $9k. I can almost get that for my SD. I only get to have one bike.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-KTM-890-5016017120
  2. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That has both the Tech package and cruise (about $1500 in options) so the listing price is already a deal. There are almost no used ones available so I would not expect this one to last long. If it is problem free and you could pick it up for $9500 you would be doing really well.

I can't help on the tail bag question.

One bike is not enough. The answer is 3. It took me 8 years, a ton of effort, and a lot of bike shuffling to assemble the perfect trio. I told my wife, for the first time, that I think I am done. That is until Aprilia releases the Tuono 1100 GT. When that happens I am buying one.
    Patek likes this.
  3. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you but with a three month old and a three year old as well as an expensive sports car and limited garage space, it in only one for me. I hardly have time to.ride one as it is.

The good news is the SD depreciation is flattened and especially with my add ons, I can probably get what I paid for it. The 890 will continue to depreciate but I'm not too worried about that as you have to pay to play.

The tail bag should fit as it simply sits on the pilon and straps either under the seat or to the frame. It carries enough for a 2-day trip.

This is what I have.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-evo-rearbag-tail-bag?sku_id=1315538
  4. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, deposit paid. Buying my plane ticket, a SW Motech ring lock for the tank, a ball ram mount for the handle bars, and coming up with an excuse as to why I need this bike for my wife.
  5. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! where are you flying to get it?
  6. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there. Glad to see you are local as maybe you can help me.

I'm flying into Nashville and riding back to Raleigh. I can't take too long on this trip as wife and kids but I can take a couple of days to meander my way back. Tires look a bit used on the bike (1,900 miles), so I'm hoping for no rain and I hope I won't need a tire change in route. Any suggestions of roads to take?
  7. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    specifically if you have the time I would spend a day in and around Robbinsville, NC. The roads up that way are fantastic!
    Patek likes this.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock tires work really well but have a very short life span. I would ask the seller for an honest assessment of the rear and consider replacing it before heading out if it is near the end of its life. The front is probably ok but my rear at 2000 is pretty well done.
    crackerguy and Patek like this.
  9. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may get some rain on my ride home. I'm flying out tomorrow. Hopefully we can get the deal done on time to make it to the county clerk to get the transit tags before they close. If not, both Tennessee and North Carolina have a few day grace period to register a vehicle if driving home but I would much rather have temp tags on it to not grab the attention of every small town cop.

I'm taking my big ole tail bag as I can fit my helmet and a change of clothes for the two-day ride back in it. It simply straps to the frame so it will work especially since this bike has the rear foot pegs which give it another location to strap to. On my SD, I had strapped it under the passenger seat but I don't know how this underseat looks. here it is on the SD. It may look a little silly on the 890 but it will work. By the way, I sold the '15 SD for the exact same price I'm buying the 890 for so that worked out nicely and makes for a clean cash transaction.

IMG_20190701_093015053.jpg

Trying to picture it on the 890, will be big but should work. I also picked up a SW Motech tank ring to transfer the tank bag but I don't think I'll need that for this trip. I also got the Gripster tank grips that I'm bringing with me as that tank looks slippery and scratch prone (and I'm used to them on my other bikes).

6060cf4cfd92c1439020de4f.jpg

Here is the route I picked coming back. If the rain gets too bad, I will have to perhaps divert to a shorter highway route. The seller is replacing the rear tire on my dime as I'm hitting scattered showers on the way back and I think it is near the end of its lifespan. He took it to KTM so it will be their nice, inflated pricing but I prefer to spend $350 and be safe.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cro...ad!2m2!1d-78.6381787!2d35.7795897!2m1!1b1!3e0
    bmac and Stu like this.
  10. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the trip and ride home!

Good call on the rear tire. I am quite certain it was the right decision. Mine went from not too bad to cords showing real quickly and was completely used up at 2430 miles. I was lucky to make it home on my last ride without incident.
  11. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm almost thinking that I should have done both tires. I'm sure if the seller brought it to the dealer for a tire, the dealer would upsell the second if needed. I'll reach out to him and make sure we are good for tomorrow.
  12. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Personally, I'd stay on 68 and head to Tellico Plains, then take the Cherohala into Robbinsville, then run up to Deal's Gap. Either way works though.
  13. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good feedback. I'm not really that familiar with the area and the two unknowns are weather and how many hogs (and cops) will be on the gap on a Saturday.

I did create a backup map doing what I think you are suggesting.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 154759.jpg
    jjjjjjay likes this.
  14. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    You mapped it exactly !

Like you said, weather can play a big part. The Cherohala does reach over 5000' in elevation, so it can be cooler than down in the 2-3000 ' range, or have storms. Chances are it will be much less crowded than the gap on a Saturday too. :thumb

Cops at the gap on a Saturday - yes, there might be one or 10. :lol3 It can depend on the time, or the whim of Blount County. I usually avoid the gap like the plague on a Saturday, but the last time I went through there on a Saturday afternoon, there were at least 3 cruisers and 6 motorcops. It was still a decent ride with very few slow downs.

It's alway interesting stopping at the store, as there can be lots of bikes to look at, if that's your thing. My usual loop runs in to 129 from 28 (opposite direction from your route), then take 129 back to Robbinsville without even stopping at the store. That part of 28 includes some of my favorite riding.

Your map cuts it off, but taking 28 south towards Franklin off 74 can be very nice if the traffic allows. It was posted 55mph for years like Deal's Gap used to be, but they recently knocked it way down too. Several sections with one switchback after another. Caffe REL in Franklin is a must stop for lunch or dinner if the time works out.

Sorry for the long winded reply. :shog
    Patek and bmac like this.
  15. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    My front is still in good shape with probably 1000 miles left in it. I suspect yours is fine as well.
    Patek likes this.
  16. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great reply. What is the Cherohala? Is that the first route? Sorry, Google doesn't point it out and I'm just guessing on my route on what looks good.
  17. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Cherohala Skyway starts just east of Tellico Plains as Tennessee 165. Once you hit NC, it becomes 143, and that takes you right into 129 just north of the center of Robbinsville.
    Cherohala at different times of the year.
    20201014_135923.jpg 20210223_122140.jpg 20200524_112245.jpg 20191129_143741.jpg
    JeffPM, Stu and Patek like this.
  18. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cherohala Skyway -- TN 165/NC 143 A Blue Ridge Parkway-esque scenic highway between Tellico Plains and Robbinsville. One of the best motorcycle rides in the country; not as tight as the Dragon, but much better scenery. Not to be missed if you're passing through the area.
    JeffPM, Patek and Florida Lime like this.
  19. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pickup went great. Loaded up and ready to go. Got in about 100 miles to my hotel. Real riding starts tomorrow. Love it so far. It is too bad I have ride with it loaded down as a quick trip to the store without everything on it felt much different.
    IMG_20210409_182637947_HDR.jpg IMG_20210409_164557722_HDR.jpg
    pcarreiro, Stu, staticPort and 4 others like this.
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires look good! Have a great ride home!
    Patek likes this.