2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I just checked the weather radar up your way. I hope you got an early start this morning, and stay ahead of the rain.
  2. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stu I want to be you when I am 81, show me how

Stay safe
  3. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hellsbuddha,

Self depreciating amusements & humor help. Of course there is always the perverse habit of falsifying and magnifying riding adventures & exploits. Riding is always unpredictable, one of its many pleasures. That continues regardless of your age. And retelling it can involve concision or a lavish baroque style. It just has to be lived. Just go ride.

Stu
    hellsbuddha and Florida Lime like this.
  4. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, no such luck. Woke up to misery and rain. Ended up taking I 40 most of the way. There was some periods where the rain stopped and I removed my rain gear and actually took some detours. However, most of the ride was wet and cold, dropping into the 50s at times. Coming down from Asheville, ran into some terrible visibility issues (around 20 feet). Things would dry out and I would warm up, only to run into more rain and have to get all my rain gear back on. The last 100 miles or so, I was tired of changing and the weather was in the low 70s so I just accepted the rain.

Oh well, I will have to play on some back roads around me to really get to know the bike. My wife was just happy I got home in one piece (and a day early).

IMG_20210410_074108089.jpg IMG_20210410_114522698.jpg IMG_20210410_114511803.jpg IMG_20210410_132414089.jpg
    Stu, bmac and pcarreiro like this.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    That's too bad, just the luck of the draw on the weather. :(
    Patek likes this.
  6. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home safe and sound. And great score on a used 890r. Not many of those for sale that I have seen.
    Patek likes this.
  7. Stu

Oddometer:
    Patek,

Glad you made it back OK in spite of being cold and wet. How did that windscreen work? I just put one on my 890 R. Were the tires sticky enough for the wet pavement?

Dwenglis,

You are correct. Not many 890 Rs around new or used. I suspect the production cost is significantly higher than on the standard Duke.

Stu
  8. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires were fine but I was not doing anything crazy in the wet. Also, it was a soft rain most of the time so I didn't have to deal with standing water. I was happy that I changed out the rear tire though.

I actually liked the windscreen. No buffering and it kept my phone dry. I haven't ridden without it yet but I do believe it kept the wind and some rain off my chest as much of the ride, my jacket was unzipped and my chest stayed dry. I had forgotten the Quadlock case for my phone so I had to stop by Walmart and all they had was a bicycle phone mount. While not ideal and partly sticking out past the scree, it stayed dry enough the whole trip. I usually don't like flyscreens but I think I'm keeping this on.

I do need a smaller tail bag solution as this one is a bit big and I had to push it all the way back to not feel it. SWMotech has some nice looking ones on their site but not yet available. If I ever go back to the office, I like to commute on the bike when possible which means gym clothes, laptop, and often lunch.
  9. Stu

Oddometer:
    I just put one of these on my 890:

ION S tail bag for motorcycle -SW-MOTECH (sw-motech.us)

It expands and should fit what you need for the office. It mounts fairly easily to the tail rack of theirs that is minimalistic, which fits this bike:

STREET-RACK - KTM 790 / 890 Duke - SW-MOTECH (sw-motech.us)

The tubing that mounts to the holes for the stock grab bar work for attaching bungees to. The stainless muffler heat shield works great even with my Akrapovic racing exhaust system. If you are obsessive-compulsive like me you will need to get a short length 4mm allen to check the fasteners for the stainless shield. I got one from Snap-On that works great. You can also just chop a standard allen down to fit the tight area to check then screws.

Stu
    Patek likes this.
  10. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the SW Motech case and rack. Not yet available on the US site but that whole setup looks good and I would love no straps.

Took the bike out for a short ride today when the babies were sleeping. Holy crap, why is this bike not getting more press, it is amazing and the best bike I have ever ridden. My last three bikes were a SuperDuke, S1000XR, and HP2 Sport. This bike is so much fore flickable and light feeling. The S1000XR liked to dip into corners like this does but it had so much more weight to throw around. The SDR was a sledgehammer with so much torque and power but I was disappointed with the chassis and suspension as it would easily get upset in corners which was not confidence inspiring. This thing is amazing! It carves the corners like no body's business. I have not touched the suspension as so far it had easily handled everything I have thrown at it. Bike is not an S1000 or SDR but has plenty of power especially for the weight.

I think going forward, any bike I look at will need to be at or below 400lbs as I think this is the perfect weight and so easy to maneuver.

I don't know how this bike continues to fly under the radar as frankly, I think it is the perfect amount of weight and power and addresses my main complaint with a lot of Japanese bikes in that they are building to a price point so the suspension and brakes suffer and usually have to be upgraded immediately. Sure, these ca be upgraded, but I think they are excellent as is. Yes, the plastic body panels are rather cheap looking and it is not built to the quality levels of $20k bikes but it has quality where needed. I think Covid and the similarities to the 790 Duke made people not really see it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this thing as it is what I want in a bike is every area except looking sexy. I also like the passenger seat setup as I don't think this is a particularly handsome bike but the passenger seat makes it look more functional. Looking forward to tearing up the local roads when I get some time on my hands.
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not surprised and actually expected this response. That is why I suggested it should be on top of your list. That was a great find on a slightly used bike. So, congrats!

I agree with your sentiments and your comments echo those of many very experienced riders. This bike is amazing! I have ridden and owned too many bikes to count and this one just ticks so many boxes. Having top notch suspension really pushes this bike to the top of the heap. The combination of a stout chassis, excellent suspension, torquey engine, brilliant handling, and comfortable ergonomics is the best I have found. It is the best kept secret in motorcycling. More folks need to ride one of these. The fact that this thread has so little activity tells you that very few people know about it.

Consider picking up one of these as well. The plus 20mm helped on the leg room.
    https://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ktm-790-890-duke-ergo-seat-choose-height/
    Patek likes this.
  12. CS 73

CS 73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been eyeing this bike for a while now. Stopped by my local KTM dealer to pick up a Yamaha TTR 50 for my son's 6th birthday and they have three 890Rs on the floor. Despite my better judgment, I sat on one. You know how some bikes, they just fit you and feel good?

I think I'm in love.
    Patek likes this.
  13. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came with the ergo seat but I'm not sure if it is higher or not.
  14. Stu

Oddometer:
    The best seat for me, after trying the comfort ergo seat and stock seat, was a Seat Concepts seat. Best support and a bit higher at the front so I don't slide forward. You have to mount the SC kit on the stock base.

Stu
    Patek likes this.
  15. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    First wash this weekend as well as some other stuff such as, installing a Evotech tail tidy, removing the rear passenger foot pegs, and figuring out how to reuse my luggage that I pulled from my SDR.

I installed the rear tail bag straps to the passenger seat and they tuck under the seat when not in use. I used the seat screws to secure them like I did on my SDR.

IMG_20210424_121424061.jpg

I needed to buy a new ring for the tank bag and then turn the locking mechanism on the bag around. This left me with no place to secure the release string so I used some sticky velcro on the string to secure it to the velcro on the bag.

IMG_20210425_130438127.jpg

The Evotech tail tidy is a nice bit of kit, very well made although it is probably heavier than the OEM setup due to it being aluminum. I installed their rear bobbins too as well as my bar end weights that I kept from my SDR.

IMG_20210425_130742098_HDR.jpg

Overall, I'm glad that I could reuse my SDR luggage as the rear bag is very useful if we ever get back to commuting as gym clothes, lunch, and laptop go in there and it is a quick release from the bike. It also works for a multi-day trip to the mountains.

IMG_20210425_130320231_HDR.jpg

My slip on came in on Monday. Very happy with that as I think the lines work great with the bike without being too large or being too stubby. SC Project makes great quality stuff and the welds are impeccable. The sound adds a nice, deep rumble too and it is about 10lbs lighter.

IMG_20210426_153626341_HDR.jpg

pcarreiro, hypersports and crackerguy like this.
  16. dwenglis

Oddometer:
    what are your thoughts on the bike compared the the 1290 and your s1000xr?
  17. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not had enough street time for a full review as I work from home with two small kids so it is hard to get real riding time.

However, initial impressions.

Against the S1000XR. The XR was a fantastic bike. Great, high reving power, good shifter, wind protection, and luggage. Bike was very easy to dip into corners and the active suspension did a pretty good job. The bike was buzzy on the freeway, very tall (I'm 6'1") and unwieldy, heavy, and generally a lot of bike for 90% of the riding I did. I missed the naked, wind in my face feel. Also, 6th was way too low for highway cruising.

SDR, amazing engine although I missed the top end surge that the S1000XR had, I loved the nakedness of it and the globs of torque. I really missed the quickshifter as I was spoiled by that. Another heavy bike although lighter feeling than the S1000XR although the XR was better at cornering as the SDR would fight you in the corners especially on bumpy corners. When really leaned over, hitting a big bump would unsettle the chassis. I would say the chassis and suspension were the biggest letdown on that bike.

I loved a lot of things about the SDR and if it cornered better and had a quickshifter, I would have kept it. Oh, the gearing also sucked with the gears being too low, 6th being useless unless you were doing 90, and hunting between 3rd and 4th in corners trying to find the right gear.

The 890 Duke: does a lot of stuff right. It does not have the explosive power of the other two bikes but still has plenty of power and I have not yet found myself wishing for more.

The 890R is very spacious and I have more space to move around than on the other two bikes. The XR in particular locks you in a position. The 890R feels like it has more leg room which I think has to do with the narrow tank. Bike feels so much lighter than either of those bikes and is very tossable in the corners but absorbs the bumps (at least on the normal setting). The brakes are amazing and the ride modes and adjustments that you can do on the fly are awesome! Bike is powerful, comfortable, has good tech, good suspension, a quickshifter, and excellent brakes.

So far I have not found any bad habits. It is comfortable with no decernable buzzing. 6th gear is usable, in corners, 4th gear does what you need it to do as you can carry enough speed in the corners but it is tall enough to wind it up before the next corner. For my use and riding style, the 890 is superior to both of those bikes.
  18. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did think of a couple downsides to the 890R:

The plastic body panels are quite cheap feeling, a step above a Yamaha dirt bike but not by much. There is visible mold flash on the edges and it all doesn't fit perfectly. The stickers have bubbles under them and the plastic scratches easily. I guess it is designed a bit like a dirt bike where you can just swap out damaged bodywork.

Mirrors are great for looking at your shoulders but at least they don't buzz out. Some people find the display to be small but I think it's fine. The light sensor is a bit too sensitive and goes into night mode when riding under a thick canopy. At least it is easy to read.

Orange wheels look cool but are a PITA to keep clean.

Stock slipon looks silly but I think they just ran out of budget at the end. Everyone changes those out anyway so I think manufacturerers are caring less and less about them.

Engine, like most parallel twins, sounds a bit like a sewing machine at idle and low throttle conditions.

Surprisingly, with that tiny screen at least, it has great rain protection and I rode through rain with my jacket unzipped for a couple hours and my phone on the handlebars and my torso stayed dry.
    pcarreiro likes this.
  19. dwenglis

Oddometer:
    Awesome write-up. Thanks for sharing. I would love to add one to my garage but as a second bike.
  20. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    You would like the new SD-R. It corners like a sport bike and the QS works well.

I agree with your comments on the XR....

I must have a demo ride on the 890.