2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the latest SDR is amazing. Right now I'm in love with the 890 and the 890 will always be 60-80lbs lighter than the SDR. SDR is a beast for sure and I hear they have improved the chassis and gearing as well as added a quickshifter. I may pick up one in a couple years if I get tired of my 890. Right now, I'm appreciating the dirt bike on steroids feel of it--so narrow and light feeling but with plenty of power and a suspension that takes what you throw at it.
  2. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the $80,000 Ducati Desmosedici RR would be a better bike but even if I could afford one I'd keep my 890R. It is just too much fun and doesn't look like it will be either troublesome or require the maintenance the RR would require. Plus I have my 890R down to about 385 lbs which is more than the RR's 331 lbs. dry weight but the 890R is still very light for a contemporary street bike.

Stu
    Patek likes this.
  3. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy had similar thoughts about the Dukes:

Gone Troppo likes this.
  4. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to ride one to see what all the fuss is about. The light weight combined with a stout chassis and plenty of power totals to a very competent package. For speeds between 0 and 80mph it is as good as it gets. If you spend a lot of time at triple digit speeds there are better options.

I expected to love the new Super Duke with all the announced changes. I didn't care for the previous version as it had too much chassis flex for my taste. The 2020 engine was more refined at lower revs and overall it was a nice bike but.... it wasn't better than the 890 Duke R. If the 890 and 1290 were the same price I would still buy the 890.
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  5. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree completely with his assessment. His review on the 890 got me to give one a try. His credibility went way up in my book after I had a chance to ride this bike.
  6. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still looking at the Aprilia RS 660 although from a power, weight, and tech specs it is very similar to the 890 Duke. I know they are very different bikes and I would not be buying this year.

Either way, I was tooling around on their site and I saw that they have demo track days. You bring your own bike as they can only guarantee one session on the demo bike. I paid a bit more and signed up for their riding school as the more instruction the better. Should be a fun way to spend a Monday at VIR and I get to wring the 890 out in a safe environment.
    jjjjjjay, bmac, hypersports and 2 others like this.
  7. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    How on earth are the performance specs similar?
  8. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parallel twins with around 100hp weighting around 400lbs with all the rider aids and gismos.

I know they get there in very different ways but in the 400lb / 100hp range / $11k range are few options.
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    There's a 20% difference in hp and about that in torque.. t=f*rsin(theta) huh? 47 ft lbs vs 79 ft lbs... how is that not significantly different? That makes them entirely different.
  10. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure. There is plenty of difference between them however, they most likely would run neck and neck on a race track. In a straight line, they both hit 60 in 3 seconds and run a 10+ second quarter. Not that I care about drag racing but since we are talking specs. I'm curious to see how they compare on a track.
    dwenglis likes this.
  11. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure, but I hope you can hear the sound of my eyes rolling.
  12. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am with Patek on this one as we both looked at the Aprilia 660 before going with the 890 Duke. Other prospective buyers are likely to cross shop them as well. They share a similar mission. A fun light weight bike with great handling and premium electronics along with enough power to keep you entertained. I would welcome a test ride on the Tuono 660 if given the opportunity.
    Patek and dwenglis like this.
  13. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Cycle World (IIRC) had the 890R at 406 pounds full of fuel and you removed 21 pounds from that? How - exhaust and wheels? More?
  14. Stu

Oddometer:
    C/1/509

The muffler and cat convertor were nearly a 19 lb difference from the Akrapovic racing exhaust system (be realy for a loud exhaust though & it does cost $2,200). Foot pegs for the rear passenger another couple of pounds. The Earth-X battery is at least 7 lbs ligher than the stock lead acid boat anchor. Then desmog the bike and remove EPA fluff and you come up with a pretty light bike. You can feel the difference. The higher weight makes the most difference and I would say dump the lead acid battery for the Earth-X. You also might want to consider carrying tools low on the bike. There are other minor changes I made but the ones I listed are the most significant.

Stu
  15. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    That’s a lot
  16. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Doesn't make any sense to me at all but whatever.
  17. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Different exhaust? This is from blog.ktm.com

upload_2021-5-10_18-40-56.png
  18. Stu

Oddometer:
    They apparently didn't weigh the stock cat converter. You could use it to do curls.

Stu
  19. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Has anyone replaced the stock foot pegs? It isn’t obvious to me how you would do it. Thanks.
  20. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Took the 890 up through Shady Valley and Hwy 16 yesterday. As usual I can't get over how well this thing performs. My buddies on my ex- Thruxton R and an S1000RR got to ride it in the afternoon and both immediately wanted one.
    oic likes this.