2020 Duke R 890

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Nov 5, 2019.

1. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Oh man, sorry to hear.
  2. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear it too. We all live different lives but I'm tempted to say "Screw that cancer don't sell your bike" but you know you need to do what's best for you. Still, I hope you kick it's ass.
    Florida Lime likes this.
  3. elpjc

elpjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hang in there man. I got the same diagnosis almost 7 years ago, and I'm finally seeing some progress with my ongoing 5th chemo treatment, and bought an R1250R 2 weeks ago, after seriously considering both an 890R and MT-09 SP. Hope you have better luck than me, and can recover much sooner than I did. Just keep a positive attitude. There's nothing we can do about it, so it's a waste of energy to wonder why us, and crap like that; it's not going to make it go away. Ha ha. Best of luck, brother.
  4. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    I had a 950 SM - bought new in 2006. Only had it for a year as I was biffed by a car. It was a really fun bike. Had the sumo feel, handled well and good brakes. Carbed, smooth off/on throttle transition. Compared to the 890? Nope. The 890 has more power, better brakes, better suspension, handles better and is lighter. Also ABS and modes that actually do something. I really liked the 950 SM but the 890 is better in every way.
  5. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    that is saying a lot. The 950’s are legendary.
  6. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK. You guys convinced me. My 890 R stays in the garage! Ride over to the cancer center tomorrow so they can take off the infusion pump I have to wear at home for 46 hours every two weeks. They are astonished that an old guy shows up on a motorcycle. "What kind is it?" "KTM" "What's that?" "A race bike, 385 lbs., 121 HP." "Good grief!" Well, they did ask. A fun answer.

Stu
  7. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Wonderful!

Don't give up just because of this man. I have spent a lot of time studying this stuff because of my mom, and there's significant evidence that people who stick to or even expand their favorite hobbies do BETTER fighting cancer than those who just take the chemo and sit around. Don't give up anything you don't have to.
  8. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Attached is a picture of me at one of our lakes the other day. Having fun on the 890. If you have even 150' on a double yellow you can still pass on the 890. It is incredible, fast, fun and illegal. It reminds me of riding in Italy where I did more illegal stuff in two weeks than I have done here all my life. Viva Italia!

Stu Stu-Duke-CZ-10-3-2921-J.jpg
    NoelJ, pwh, brangus and 11 others like this.
  9. crackerguy

crackerguy Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from an Aprilia Falco (45,000 miles) to 990 SMT (12,000 miles) to the 890 Duke R (couple of thousand miles so far).

As I got older (early 50s), the Falco became uncomfortable on my old body, especially on bumpy backroads, so I got the SMT.

I had some really fun (like holy shit how does this thing handle as well as it does) times on the SMT, took a few long trips, but never fully bonded with it. Being more used to sport bikes, the front end always felt a bit far away, the ergos were too dirt bike for the street for me.

Mine also got terrible gas mileage (like low 30s when getting on it which meant stopping sooner than I wanted too and worrying about gas on lots of rides) and the air management (buffeting, noise) was annoying even after I improved it a good bit with a pyramid plastics screen.

I bonded with the 890R riding it home from the dealership. Its more of a naked sport bike than the SMT while still being comfy enough for me to ride all day.

It fuels better (the EFI is way more sophisticated than the 990s), handles better, stops better and has current gen electronics (ABS, traction, ride modes and I love the cruise especially).

That said it is small and has limited options for luggage for even a shorter trip.

For me the 890R is a way better bike than the SMT was, YMMV.
    dolphins13 and pcarreiro like this.
  10. Moto-Crockett

Moto-Crockett Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. That says a lot about the 890.

I test rode a used 790 today that a local dealer had in on trade. It was a fun bike. Unfortunately I think my knees will require a little more room as they started to complain about the seating position.

The 790 didn’t seem like a slouch either, so I bet the 890 rips! Maybe KTM can put the 890 motor in an SMC style bike for me
    crackerguy likes this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh...Italy...where they expect you to ride like a mad bastard....:lol3

Imagine that bike on Stelvio or Gross Glockner....or Furka....or the Dolomites..

:thumb
  12. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Good for you!

:thumb
  13. Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp 102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer:
    Say hello to your newest Duke 890 R owner :wave
    dolphins13, crackerguy and SR1 like this.
  14. Boughan

Boughan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Großglockner is in Austria :y0! Fantastic road up (Hochalpenstraße), there is A LOT of really fantastic riding in that area (Italy/Austria/Slovenia, aka Dreiländereck [ThreeCountryCorner])
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  15. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    Good on you! Great bikes.
    Lili Von Shtupp likes this.
  16. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Street legal RC 8C coming ?
    Motorrad "spy photos".