2020 Florida -> Alaska Again

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Had to put a link to a YouTube video by Tim from Arizona:

oldgrizz likes this.
  2. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said and a very nice video
  3. gpax

Oddometer:
    My sciatica has my build on hold. Takes about 10 days to go away. Dealt with it about once about every 18 months since I hurt my back when I was weightlifting in my twenties. Starts as a crick in my back and grows until sharp lightning in my lower back. Then it subsides. I clear the pharmacy of meds and keep a heating pad on my back until it goes away.
    bobw and JagLite like this.
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    This is Loretta, my big girl. VN-1700. Chris rides pillion on Loretta.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg
    Rapturee2, bobw, Tewster2 and 2 others like this.
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope it heals fast.
    gpax and JagLite like this.
  6. gpax

Oddometer:
    Went by the dermatologist today. Took off two small spots and two lumps. Took five stitches in the lump removals. Two weeks before stitch removal and concurrently six weeks off the m/c. Afraid the wound may tear open. Ugh. At least the weather ain’t great during the time frame.
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Face it, Greg - you're beginning to start to commence to get old. :wink:

One of these days you'll catch up with me. :gerg
    gpax, bobw, Bigbob1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sucks when all of our Dr. appointments interfere with our riding.....
  9. gpax

Oddometer:
    I am back working on Rita. My back has improved to the point of nearly back to normal. (Better living through chemistry - muscle spasm pills) My sutures are healing. Get stitches removed on the 27th.

Put risers on Rita yesterday. Found slack in cables except a bit tight on brake line from brake reservoir. I think it will work. Put on new pegs I got from a friends Goldwing. He upgraded to floor boards and gave me his old pegs. They are wide and fit like a champ. I have never been a fan of skinny pegs. Also, installed my OEM horn. Not loud enough to warn a car about to move into me but the loud models did not work. When I want a horn, I want a train whistle.

Today I worked in the battery compartment. I installed a smart battery isolator like on my V-Strom for an auxiliary battery to run my CPAP while camping. https://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm. Also wired in a fuse block for auxiliary items, a lead to run my heated jacket and gloves and a battery tender lead. My frunk is full of aux battery, aux fuse block and smart solenoid. I have a small Givi tank bag that should work on top of the frunk.

Tomorrow I plan on installing my oxford heated grips, barkbusters and kaoko throttle friction system.

Still need to install Tusk side cases, soupy performance lowering links (hoping for 2 inches) (dam ... I have short legs), soupy kickstand and wide foot accessory.

Then I can work on handle bar mounts for gps, phone and inreach.

I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel for getting Rita outfitted for her big trip to the Arctic.

Alaska-2530.JPG
    EZMoney, Rapturee2, oldgrizz and 2 others like this.
  10. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Great to hear you are back working on your bike! Lots of good stuff going on it.

JT
    gpax likes this.
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    I started back on two wheels with a scooter about five years ago on a 176cc model. Put it in the bed of my towing truck. When we would stop and unhook the trailer I would take off on my scoot. This is me on "Ruby" on the Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park. We were staying in Grande Lake, CO and I rode over to Estes Park and back. Some lady asked if I rode the scooter all the way from Florida (plates). I just laughed. I still own Ruby and take her on quick runs. She is so easy to find a parking place.

11792072_10203853402247758_8031330135994175499_o.jpg
    Rapturee2 and JagLite like this.
  12. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck w/build Greg. I have been lurking on AVD forever! I live in the Woodlands & will keep an eye on your trip schedule. I just picked up a 15' NC700x Mon. Couldn't pass up such a good deal. Only 1964mi! It was on my short list for some time. Thought about the 750 but I'm a sucker for a good deal. Having read Brett's " I've been everywhere" I think 700 will serve me well. Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread being long winded:1drink
    Rapturee2 and gpax like this.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    Small world. I am staying at the Woodlands on April 10 on my way to California. Days Inn by Wyndham Shenandoah 29007 I-45 North The Woodlands TX 77381 We will have to compare bikes. I am about half way finished with "Rita" (Lovely Rita by the Beatles). I owe my soul to Revzilla and Twisted Throttle.
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Deadhorse everything is spendy... after Atikin Pass it is tundra and pipeline.... my wife and I rode there this past summer to click off a bucket list for me and hope to see muskox (bears and moose, no muskox). We stayed at Wiseman and rode up and back in one day (440 miles)...and yeah, it rain pretty much the whole day, but as I have said to others, she made you can too!

upload_2018-12-19_22-12-53.png
    Rapturee2, gpax and JagLite like this.
  15. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Copy that, will watch calendar!
    gpax likes this.
  16. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time flies for sure
    gpax likes this.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    I am so ready to ride back to Alberta/BC and Alaska. Worked on Rita all day today.
    JagLite and oldgrizz like this.
  18. gpax

Oddometer:
    Wired up my aux battery in the frunk. Haven’t fashioned a battery holder inside the frunk. I need to think about how to design it.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    Installed the Oxford heated grips, barkbusters, and Kaoko friction cruise control. Used lots of YouTube videos for instruction. Had to grind down fins on the throttle tube. Oxford grips have hard plastic insides. Kaoko was simple install. Bark buster on the right side was tricky to fit.

Received my adjustable kickstand. Ready to lower my suspension. Close to ready to mount Tusk side cases as well.

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg
  20. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good Gpax.
    Now if we can just get winter to be over
    gpax, Rapturee2 and Tewster2 like this.