Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.
Let me know how it works...I’ll do mine when I get back.
RIVER ROAD: BIG BEND TO MARFA
On my route through Texas
Hope you have a great trip. I was following along on your last one. Couldn't believe it when you had a heart attack in Alaska. What a way to ruin a trip.
Glad you're back up, around and getting ready to go conquer Alaska. Looks like you're going to have one heck of a bike for the trip.
Hey, while in Key West, stop by and say hi to Conchscooter. Dunno if you've seen his thread or not...he was almost killed by some lady pulling out in front of him playing with her phone instead of watching what she was doing.
Thanks. Just sent him a note.
This is my probably my last motorcycle ... turn 70 this year. I am hoping it will last me several years. So I spared some but not much customizing it to my tastes. Having a custom suspension installed at the end of the month.
The last two items on my WISH LIST are lights. A couple of Denali like front lights and an admore tail / brake light. Enhance my chances of being seen just before I am hit.
These days I believe that just about anything you can do to be seen is a great idea. Best of luck on your trip. I will be following along reading your posts as you go.
I bought a Honda Reflex 250 scooter last spring and find that I would much rather ride it than my bikes. Been seriously thinking about doing some scooter touring on it if I ever find the time and the money to be able. I am 55 so still have work interrupting my riding time. I absolutely can't stand cold though so I don't know how much north I will go. I would love to see alaska though judging by all the pics and ride reports I've seen on here.
Portland to the Dust to Dawson Non-rally Dawson City, Yukon Territory (rev 14 JAN 19)
26) PDX Portland Delta *Ramada by Wyndham Portland Airport: Pro Caliber Motorsports 10703 NE Fourth Plain Rd Vancouver, WA 98662
27) *GuestHouse Inn Aberdeen 616 West Heron St Aberdeen WA 9852 $67 Visit Olympic National Park
28) (Elec) OLYMPIC PENINSULA / PORT ANGELES KOA $30 Visit Olympic National Park
29) Ferry: Port Townsend-Coupeville, Deception Pass CG (Campground) Visit Coupeville and Oak Harbor
30) Deception Pass CG (Campground) Visit Deception Pass https://parks.state.wa.us/497/Deception-Pass
31) Douglas Fir CG 810 State Route 20, Snoqualmie, WA 98284-1263 Visit North Cascades National Park
01) Chilliwack Stay with inmate, Cross Border at Sumas (Meet Ray)
02) Kamloops BC (Ray has a place for us)
03) Prince George BC (Ray, Karan and Barney)
04) Prince George (Ray, Karan and Barney)
05) Smithers BC (Sam and Sarah Henderson)
06) Nisga'a Memorial Lava Fields PP campground http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/nisgaa/
07) Stewart / Hyder (King Edward Hotel) http://www.kingedwardhotel.com/ (250)636-2244: 1-800-663-3126
08) Stewart / Hyder (King Edward Hotel) Ride up to Salmon Glacier http://www.sealaskainn.com/
09) Dease Lake (Northway Hotel)
10) Jade City, BC
11) Jade City, BC
12) Watson Lake Campground, YT https://yukon.ca/en/outdoor-recreation-and-wildlife/camping/site/watson-lake
13) Teslin Lake Government Campground https://yukon.ca/en/outdoor-recreation-and-wildlife/camping/site/teslin-lake
14) Skagway via Atlin --Dyea Campground-- https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
15) Skagway (Ferry to Juneau for the day) https://alaskafjordlines.com/
16) Takhini Hot Springs Campground (just north of Whitehorse)
17) Tombstone Territorial Park Campground (on the beginning of the Dempster Hwy near Dawson City)
18) Demptser Highway Arctic Circle sign. (Rock Creek Campground or Eagle Plains)
19) Dawson City Dust to Dawson (The Whitehouse Cabins)
20) Dawson City Dust to Dawson (The Whitehouse Cabins)
21) Dawson City Dust to Dawson (The Whitehouse Cabins)
Nice scoot. I had a BMW C650 GT scooter and loved it dearly. Took it down the Blue Ridge Parkway once with my duffle strapped behind me. Loved the scoot but felt I needed something different for Alaska so in 2016 I bought a used 2015 Suzuki V-Strom with 7K on it. Great, solid bike but the seat height and my 28 inch inseams did not do well. Also, the center of gravity was high enough if I put a foot down in a low place the bike would quickly get out of control and lay down. All could was slow the fall. I sold it in September and bought a new Honda NC750XD. I'm having the suspension customized to accommodate my short inseam on Jan 25th at Cogent Dynamics in Asheville, NC. I plan on towing the bike to NC. Follow along as I start a road report in March from Key West as I start my trip to the Arctic.
I suffer from Sciatica too. My chiropractor told me to use a lacrosse ball and either sit on it or lie on your back and let the ball loosen up the muscle spasm. Don't forget to stretch out your hamstring and your glutes.
Thanks. Great suggestion. I am feeling normal. Nothing is hurting. Took a walk with the dog yesterday and I felt normal. When you feel normal all the time you just don't realize how good it feels. I'll keep your suggestion in mind if (when) it starts hurting again.
I saw where you said you were having the suspension work done. Wow, wouldn't that be nice having a bike with the suspension properly tuned to the rider's size and weight.
On a trip like that, I bet it will be well worth the time and money getting it done right. Should make you much more confortable. I understand about it being too high. I sat on a dirt bike at the shop a while back and couldn't believe how high it was. The Adventure bikes they had weren't much shorter either. They make them for giants or something these days? With a 33 in inseam, I don't usually find height, other than lack of, to be a problem.
Looks like you've put a lot of time and effort into planning and with the mileage you'll be covering each day, you should have plenty of time to take in the sights.
This is my rough draft of the actual instate Alaska plan. Lots will change here but I thought I would put out a strawman plan.
22) Dawson City
24) Fairbanks (Chena Hot Springs)
25) Mile 60 BLM Campground / Hot Spot Cafe
26) Galbraithe BLM Campground
27) Galbraithe BLM Campground
28) Mile 60 BLM Campground / Hot Spot Cafe
29) Fairbanks UAF dorm Bike clean up
30) Fairbanks UAF dorm
01) Denali NP
02) Denali NP Ride the Denali Highway
03) Anchorage (Scotts) Via Talkeetna
10) Seward / Majors Marine Tours https://majormarine.com/tour/3-hour-kenai-fjords-wildlife-cruise/
15) McCarthy / Kennicott
16) Slana (Jack)
17) Tok AK
18) Haines Junction YT
Ferry to Skagway AK
19) Jakes Corner YT
And here is my all too early plan of leaving Alaska, returning to Rays and heading home.
19) Jakes Corner YT
20) Laird Hot Springs Prov Park Campground BC (350 miles)
21) Ft Nelson BC (190 miles)
22) Dawson Creek BC (281 miles)
23) Prince George BC (250 miles)
24) Prince George BC
25) Jasper AB (232 miles)
26) Black Diamond AB (282 miles)
27) Moose Jaw SK (431 miles)
28) Minot ND (265 miles)
29) St Cloud MN (436 miles)
30) Bloomington IL (524 miles)
31) Corinth, MS (449 miles)
01) Home (368 miles)
All looks really good...I'm sure we can do some of the dates together...I can be your chase vehicle...and you can camp under my awning
This is to Ray and John (but shared with everyone)
Recommend you consider bringing a compact chair for sitting inside my bugout.
I am sorting out camping. I plan on bringing my bugout 9x9.
I plan on sitting in it in my hermit chair. I need the arms to get up and down due to rotten knees. My helinox just sits too low for me getting out. I've owned the hermit chair for a long time.
I will use a Kelty Trailogic TN2 tent.
I need a CPAP,
I use a Somnetics Transcend miniCPAP Machine (120v or 12v capable)
Installed an 18AH aux battery on my bike:
Installed a smart solenoid from Powerstream similar to this.
Use 25ft battery tender cable to take 12v from aux battery to CPAP in my tent.
I just looked at the mini-cpap on line and looks like the ideal unit to save some space and weight on the bike. My cpap broke on the last day of my Alaska trip last year. Many thanks again for helping me set up the powerstream unit on my bike. This setup worked flawlessly during the whole trip. I never had any battery problems whatsoever.
"All looks really good...I'm sure we can do some of the dates together...I can be your chase vehicle...and you can camp under my awning "
I am not worried about sleeping space but wonder how many people your toilet can handle, sequentially.
Hah nobody uses my toilet but me
Good article on mosquitoes in Alaska.