Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.
Smile, sometimes that is all we can do...
Hey, sorry to hear about your health. I had been waiting on a new youtube post and came here to see if you had disappeared to Cuba or somewhere. Take care of yourself first, Alaska will be there when you're ready. While the success of an adventure is never guaranteed, that you attempted it is an accomplishment in itself, we're proud of you for that alone.
Greg, wishing you the best of luck w/prognosis. Will be waiting & watching for info.
Greg, saw your most current video.... Go Vols! *thumbs up If you're ever in North Carolina, dinner's on me.
Gpax so sorry to see that you've had to delay your trip. I've been a fan of yours since your last Alaska trip. Prayers that you can get your health problems sorted out and you can get back on the road this summer!
Not sure whats going on with your hip, but, as you said your 70. So, tell the doc to give you something that will make the pain go away. Seriously, fentynal patch, THC, what ever. No reason to put up with pain. Wish you the very best!
Sorry to hear. I know a bit of how you feel because my retirement trip was to be to Alaska, Alas, my health did not hold and that dream trip may never happen. Life doesn't always go the way we planned. Hope you are able to get the issues straightened out.
Hoping that you get some good news this week!
Yes me too....Greg give me a call when you can so we can catch up.
Here I sit at the end of leg one. Key West to Pensacola ... about 1700 miles round trip to Key West. My orthopedic appointment to have my hip evaluated is coming on Friday. My guess is a run through physical therapy. My bike is at the dealership getting its first checkup ( I went a little bit over the 600-mile mark.) I stripped my bike of baggage carrying gear and put an OEM seat back on the bike. Now I am flat footed instead of tiptoes on one foot. Regardless, I have canceled this year's assault on the Arctic. My wife immediately committed our calendar which keeps me from changing my mind. I ordered an Admore brake light assy. More later.
My twin just got a knee replacement this week.
I want an entire body replacement.
I could certainly do with a new brain too.
Keep the dream alive and plan for the future
Glad you got done what you did. In similar boat, but didn't get a 1st leg in yet. 70 last year...currently have 2 replaced knee joints, and 1 total hip replacement. Planned for a yet-one-more-time-trip. Slipped on ice about a month ago, now they're talking maybe replace the other hip (what's left of it). So I'll be delayed til prob next summer.
So sorry to hear that your dream for an Alaska ride this summer is canceled - hopefully you'll be able to realize your dream in the next few years. However, if your ongoing medical challenges make it improbable that you'll be able to ride all the way up and back "the traditional way" just change how you do the trip.
I'm not suggesting that you give up your motorcycle and buy an RV, but your situation reminds me a bit of a friend of mine's. He's probably a year or more older than you and has never been to Alaska by motorcycle. He couldn't get the time off work in 1996 when I made my fist ride, but he came pretty close to making it on our 2015 ride but backed out. Unlike you, he didn't put a lot of effort into it and wasn't real committed. There was always something that might go wrong, timing isn't perfect, what ifs, etc. We didn't really offer him to ride with us for last summer's ride as it was clear that he was defeated when we mentioned the ride. Sad.
Now, he's really regretting his past decisions and still talks about getting up there. Unfortunately, I think his window for riding up to Alaska has closed. He's talking about towing one of his bikes up there behind his 4X4 and doing a combination of riding, camping, and exploring. It sounds great, so I've been encouraging him to make the trip and I hope he does.
You made the trip already but it didn't end the way you had expected. Hopefully, you'll be able to ride up there again and finish that fateful ride, but if you can't find another way. We couldn't ride all the way from SoCal and back due to time constraints, so we shipped our bikes to Spokane for last year's ride and started / ended the ride there. It worked out great.
Keep following your dreams, my friend.
Sad to hear my friend. Guess I will just have to ride down to you.
Got you and yours covered for three hots and a cot! Come on down to your beach house in Florida!
Doctor took x-rays and uncovered: degenerative disc disease, bone spur, arthritis and sciatica. Good news- the pain doesn’t seem to be starting in my hip. Starts in my discs and sciatica spreading to my right hip. Physical Terrorists get first crack at me along with potions and lotions. Then I go back to be re-evaluated. My alternative trip to Colorado may be up in the air. Ugh!!!
Look after yourself and with the help of the P.T. etc. Hope you will be good as new.
Hey G... +1 on the vehicle/trailer/bike option. Then you can take your time, travel in comfort, and stop and ride for some great "day rides", and move on when you are up to it! Then maybe ride the last leg, if you're up to it! My Dad lives in Fairbanks and i know he'd be happy to have you drop your vehicle/trailer there at his place and ride the last leg if you're up to it. Let me know if you're interested and i'll give you his address and number. He lives down off of Peger Rd, just down from the Super 8 Motel. By the way i did score a nice RDL myself. I am amazed at how comfortable they truly are!
Best wishes to you Mr Gpax.
Double trouble. Back discs and hip joint. Met with the orthopedic doctor and I am being scheduled for a steroid injection in the radiation lab. In the meanwhile the physical therapist has me doing strengthening exercises. I have two problem discs. As I understand, I can ride my bike as long as I can bear the pain. My back and sciatica are suspected to cause the majority of pain while riding. I see the PT and get my injection before seeing the doctor again on June 7th.
I would have been on leg3 (PCH) now if I had not pulled out.