2020 Florida -> Alaska Again

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Installed a kickstand footprint which helps in gravel and loose soil. This one is from Altrider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rapturee2 and JT105 like this.
  2. gpax

Oddometer:
    What tires would you recommend? I’ll be due a new set in Alaska.

3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Round ones..... :jack
    I had Kenda K270's on my KLR. My wife runs Dunlop D606 They both did fine on both our trips up to Deadhorse. We had about 70 miles of mud north of Atigun pass and every bike we saw was slipping and sliding just like us.
    gpax and JagLite like this.
  4. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Waiting to see these large Tusk boxes mounted. I’m wanting these for my 700x.
    Can you post some pics from all different angles when you get them on the bike?
    Thanks!

JT
    gpax and Rapturee2 like this.
  5. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Ride often, Pray Hard. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although there are so many tires that would be a fine choice. IMHO, the Conti TKC70's were a very close second for me, but I'll be sporting a nice new pair of Shinko 705's for my trip up there.
    JagLite and gpax like this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You planning on attending D2D?
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  7. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Ride often, Pray Hard. Supporter

Oddometer:
    possibly, but probably not as i'll be really pressed for time with a narrow window of only three weeks to make the round trip and be back on time for work. :{
  8. gpax

Oddometer:
    My whole plan is as firm as jello. I have reservations at the Triple J which I actually made in June during this years unrally. But I haven’t figured out my plan ... really. So I am not giving them up until this years schedule sorts itself out. Ray is going with but is waiting for a date for his shoulder to be renewed. D2D didn’t fit my first draft but everything is up in the air waiting on the doctors getting to Ray. I have time to cancel the Triple J. I am going to Alaska even if Ray has to reschedule but it may be solo.

9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on spending the month of May at 3 Step then heading to D2D...after that I have no plans.
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  10. gpax

Oddometer:
    I will be going across FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA in mid-April ... similar to last April’s trip but including Big Bend National Park. Last week in April to May 2nd I plan on riding up the Pacific Coast Highway to the Portland, OR airport. I return on Delta in May 26th to pick up my bike and ride up from there for nearly two months. I prefer a version of solo as I pretty much don’t like group riding. I don’t mind plans to start and stop at the same places ... I just don’t like being tied to a group ... except for support from each other on the last leg of the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse. The only guarantee I can make is that my starting plan (guideline) will change.

Take Rita to the shop tomorrow to let their mechanic work on my handlebars: Rox risers, oxford heated grips, kaoko throttle friction control and barkbusters. I couldn’t figure out how to lengthen cables so as not to interfere with steering so I’ll let the shop do it all.

3 Step ought to be fun in May. I stayed there last year towards the end of April. It’s great when a plan comes together. :-)

Rapturee2 and Tewster2 like this.
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    Went to Thunder Beach yesterday. Temporary move from Panama City until PC gets back on their feet. Wore Sam Henderson’s Eyecandy Custom Cycle hat. Hope to stay with Sam and Sarah again this summer. Nice folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AK_Hoff likes this.
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    Cold rain today and tomorrow. Waiting for the rain to pass to take Rita to the shop on Thursday. I have more time than money.

13. gpax

Oddometer:
    Tried to put on the barkbusters myself. The bar weight removal was too taxing. Needed to cut off the OEM grips to get to the access holes for the bar end weight clip release. Too hard. Will let the shop handle it. Otherwise installing the barkbusters would be a breeze.
  14. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to "take a left in Albuquerque!" Seriously, this looks like a great ride you have coming. I might be not far behind you as I am planning a Four Corners & a Stinger ride next spring. The Stinger being the Alaska part. Good luck on your ride and who knows, we may cross trails on the Dalton. Cheers.
    gpax likes this.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Even though I’m using the Honda guards the instal should be same. All I did was unscrew the end bolt and put the guards on. The end weights stayed in place.
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  16. gpax

Oddometer:
    Crazy isn't it. Barkbusters come with their own weights and Kaoko comes with Barkbuster compatable bar ends. I am taking it all to the shop and paying them to figure it all out. Was going to take it over last week but got a crick in my lower back. The pain is subsiding. I rode Loretta with Chris on the back to Blackwater State Forest yesterday. Nice day for a ride. I did shoot my first shots with my new Gopro 5 Black. Haven't edited it yet.
    oldgrizz likes this.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    Now for the bad. Rita broke down and had to be towed to the dealer. No power to the display but the bike would start. Pushed “D” drive switch and DCT dropped into first. Would not shift up. Went a couple of hundred meters and bike slipped into neutral. Had to turn off ignition and restart bike to get it in first. Repeat. After a number of restarts the battery was drained. Did not get to the dealer. Called AAA. Have the motorcycle rider on my plan. AAA hauled it to the dealer. Am waiting on them to trouble shoot and call with an estimate. Hoping the problem is under warranty.
  18. gpax

Oddometer:
    Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn draws 6A. Shares fuse (7.5 amp) with several systems on the bike. Blew the fuse. Bike shut down. Reinstalling OEM horn. Who knew? On most any other bikes it would have been plug and play. Part on order to fix parking brake ... under warranty.
    JagLite and Rapturee2 like this.
  19. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to get the kinks out before that long lonely road to the arctic circle
  20. gpax

Oddometer:
    Due to a family schedule conflict I had to revise my schedule. My plane leaves Portland, OR on May 2nd. Still returning to Portland for the Arctic trip on the 26th. This is the first half of the trip across the southern border states from Florida to California. I turn up the PCH to Port Angeles, WA and store my bike in Portland while I fly home on the 2nd. Actually, the double day schedules allows me flexibility for weather or problems encountered. My mantra: start off slow and ease off.

Leave on April 9, 2019 Return on May 2, 2019

April
    09) Lafayette, LA

10) The Woodlands TX

11) New Braunfels, TX

12) Del Rio, TX

13) Big Bend National Park

14) Big Bend National Park

15) Fort Davis, TX

16) Las Cruces, NM

17) Alpine AZ

18) Florence, AZ

19) Yuma, AZ

20) Yuma, AZ

21) San Diego, CA

22) San Diego, CA

23) Solvang, CA

24) Monterey CA

25) Fort Bragg, CA

26) Crescent City, CA

27) Newport, OR

28) Aberdeen WA

29) Port Angeles, WA

30) Tumwater WA

May
    1) Tenino, Wa

2) Leave on a Tuesday 2:15 PM - 10:45 DL2066 DL1825 (Delta) May 6, 2019 (104 miles) A-1 U-Store It 2900 Kauffman Avenue, Vancouver, WA 98660 (360) 694-3701
    bobw, Rapturee2 and oldgrizz like this.