2020 Hoosier National Forest Ride

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by RoadDad, Aug 11, 2020.

1. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    This years ride will be October 17-18th. As usual the third weekend of October. This year we are going to camp out at the O'Bannon Woods State Park just west of Corydon. This site is located in the Harrison--Crawford State Forest. N38 11.954 W86 15.912 Tracks are now provided at the bottom of this post and also on post #80

Camping reservations can be made at "reserveamerica.com" or "www.camp.IN.gov" or call 866-622-6746. RV sites are $30/day and allow 6 people per site. So for you guys tent camping in two tents--group together and get your cost down to $5 per day.

Tracks are finished and will be posted in early October. Tracks start and end at the campground. The Saturday track is in two sections and is about 170 miles long. The Sunday track is in two sections and about 130 miles long. Both tracks are somewhat shorter than previous years and should give more time to keep the all important social distancing and more time for evening refreshments.

After stating the shorter track lengths, I should warn you against thinking you will be able to blast thru the tracks in record time. Think back to the Madison, Indiana based Loose Nut ride a few years ago. Seems the numerous river crossings did a real number on many submerged motorcycles. This could be a repeat of that ride if there is a heavy rain just before the ride. The Saturday ride has only two crossings and should not be a problem even after a heavy rain. But don't hold me to that last comment as mother nature can be a real bitch. The Sunday ride will be quite different after a heavy rain as there are four very interesting creek crossings. Two of them will even qualify as river crossings and may be totally impassable after heavy rain. So plan one using your GPS to find a bypass if necessary. The second of these four reminds me of the Witt Road crossing down near Jellico Tennessee. If you are familiar with that crossing you will see what i mean when you get to this crossing. Also, be aware, the tracks cross themselves at a few locations. You will have to zoom in very deep to establish the correct path.

Since this is a totally unorganized ride there will be no safety vehicles on these tracks unless you provide them yourself. Ride with people you are comfortable with and at a safe pace. Remember, all of these roads are public roadways and you will have oncoming traffic. Also remember, county roads will , at times, make unannounced ninety degree turns just after you crest a hill. Kind of highlights that 'adventure' feel.

Abbreviations on track map:
    BDG = bridge
    CR = creek
    CRC = creek
    GF = gas and food
    GFL = gas, food and lodging
    CS = country store
    SB = swinging bridge

Gas is available at four locations on Saturdays tracks but only one location on Sundays track. Minimum fuel range is seventy miles. Food is available at the gas stops Saturday and at the Laconia General Store Sunday.

Motels are available at Corydon, In if you don't plan on camping. Lots of food and refreshments also available at Corydon.

Firewood is available at the campsite.

I will be in site #155----site rules Number of people/tents/vehicles per site: Six people is the maximum number allowed at a campsite. Each site may have two tents or one camper and one small tent. Vehicles will be limited to either 1 or 2 per site depending upon the property. Additional vehicles must be parked in designated campground parking lots.----------------NOTE----I don't know how picky they will be on these rules. My advice is to try anything and see what happens.

See post #80 for info on the attached tracks

Attached Files:

2. riderIN

riderIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean this one Jerry? 20191202_143128.jpg
    Gillihan, chittyrox, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  3. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in
    pigjockey likes this.
  4. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Hmmmm :evil
    OU812 likes this.
  5. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look that bad from this distance. Looked a lot worse in person:hmmmmm
    OU812 likes this.
  6. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on down!
    OU812 and pigjockey like this.
  7. (Pee Wee)

(Pee Wee) Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In.
    mr_10brook likes this.
  8. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made reservations for Site #195, arrival 10/16 and departure 10/19.
    Thank you RoadDad for putting this together, looking forward to the Fall weather in Southern Indiana!!!
    107338593_327816528378393_3788579445457360597_n.jpg
    mr_10brook likes this.
  9. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made my reservation. Will be in site #155
    BigDogAdventures and zamboni9 like this.
  10. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Booked a reservation for site # 229:clap Arriving Friday pm - leaving Sunday late pm.:ricky
    BigDogAdventures and zamboni9 like this.
  11. zamboni9

zamboni9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Site 173 booked. Fingers crossed I’m off that weekend and we don’t have hockey. If I can’t make it, I’ll post here that the site will be available if I have to cancel it.
    BigDogAdventures likes this.
  12. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome as usual, just booked site #148.
    Looking forward to it!! :-)
  13. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Site 182
    BigDogAdventures likes this.
  14. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is tick season over by then?
  15. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trust me---there are no ticks in Indiana:imaposer:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    sonnystile, (Pee Wee) and pigjockey like this.
  16. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there is heavy rain a day or two before the ride, be prepared like billgo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are the chances for a 1290 amateur completing this ride?
  18. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack:jack:jacknow I don't care what you say...that right there is FUNNY!:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    (Pee Wee) likes this.
  19. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Near 100% upload_2020-8-13_10-3-30.png
    OU812 and pigjockey like this.
  20. StAcKmAcK

StAcKmAcK Putz

Oddometer:
    If it's dry no problem. If the creeks are swollen, depends on how fast you can hit your kill switch. I'll be on a 1090.
    Justarida likes this.