2020 Kawasaki KLX300R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Jun 18, 2019.

1. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty nice looking! Well maybe I have another 20 years to go on mine then! But I do agree, very fun to ride I think a big part of that is due to how light it is. Mine is lowered 1" and that helps some too. I think the 300 would be a good upgrade from a XR250.
    2old2Bbold likes this.
  2. Blind_Beard

Blind_Beard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How we think this would compare to a CRF250X?
  3. rhuff

rhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably compare much more to a KLX250 or CRF250L than to a wide-ratio dirt bike with real suspension.
  4. Blind_Beard

Blind_Beard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I just looked that bike up, and never realized when Honda was selling it new it was more than 7 grand. Anywho I went to two dealers yesterday and neither has the 300R in stock. There were 230Rs at each but ehhh not really interested in that
  5. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a CRF250X and recently rode the new KLX300R and I would say the CRF250X is lighter and more serious but the KLX is closer to it than a street legal enduro. Even though the suspension may not be as good I think the 300 can do anything the 250 can and I would consider them comparable. Me being tall I would choose the 300, I would have to stiffen either bike up anyway.
  6. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:
    I ride a 2007 klx300r and my son ride a 2008 honda Crf230f .. I am very much jealous of his electric start, we ride a range of elevations and my klx is much more sensitive and needs to be rejected before his honda does.. not sure what up with that. I am currently weighing my options on the klx, looking at lectron carburetor (currently not available for this bike but ) , and possibly a rekluse clutch system.... still wont have electric start... and probably $2k invested...

Or option 2 sell/ trade the the klx and might get $2k for it... so $2k against a $5k bike = $3000 investment.. and would have efi and electric start.. and no lights..

option 3 would be leave team green find another honda 230 (i just bought his this summer for $1500) add lectron carb for $1K (if available for this bike) and have the efi, electric start no lights and money to add reklus clutch system..... Down side my son would win the the team green vs team red rivalry we have had for the last few years... Hey Iam 50 years old trying to keep up with a 13 year old and he has the electric start advantage...... I gotta start stacking the cards in my favor..
    OUTERLIMITS and Blind_Beard like this.
  7. Blind_Beard

Blind_Beard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might be interested in the new CRF250F. If I've read correctly it is essentially the 230F BUT with efi and e-start, no lights, 4600 bucks. I know it's not green though...
  8. EightTwentySix

EightTwentySix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My ‘04 300 requires some clutch finesse at low RPM due to the lack of low end grunt, even with a full exhaust system and FCR carburetor. The engine really comes alive in the midrange and pulls quite hard before going flat up top.

The FCR definitely makes the bike more lively right off idle but it doesn’t transform it into a stump puller. I’d like to try a big bore 351 and see what it does for off idle torque.
    Huskyfatman and eakins like this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Got ya thanks.
    EightTwentySix likes this.
  10. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    does yours miss 2nd gear often? my shift from 1st to 2nd dosnt happen 100% of the time wich can leave you hangin and or falling depending on the incline of your path.
  11. EightTwentySix

Oddometer:
    It used to. I put a modified shift star in some time ago that made the issue less prevalent. The trade off is a more ‘notchy’ feel between all gears.

To work around that issue, I simply shift without the clutch by rolling off the throttle slightly on upshift or downshift.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  12. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    where do you get a modified shift star?
  13. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    EightTwentySix likes this.
  14. EightTwentySix

Oddometer:
    Huskyfatman linked to the place I got mine from. Apparently the modification is easy to do with a die grinder and a bit of time. There are a few guys on various forums that have done the modifications to their own.

I will see if I can find one of the links. Pretty sure one of them was on this site too.