2020 Kawasaki KLX300R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Jun 18, 2019.

1. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had too many bikes to remember and do favor KTM for making lightweight bikes with good suspension. But as I get older I am looking for something more tame. I am glad they are making these EFI bikes with 6 speeds, I may even buy one. But I kinda feel like Ginger Beard, a 230 with good suspension may have been enough especially if it were street legal. As it stands if I get a 300 it will get tagged.
  2. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^^. That's what I was hoping for. A KLX230G play bike to plonk with my wife on her KLX140G. I just wanted a shock that compared to hers (piggyback, adjustable). Could cure fork action with drop in cartridges and make a good trail bike. Instead, they went cheap and threw on a lame sealed steel shock. Yay. I was ready to buy one when I heard they were releasing a U.S. version, then saw the suspension and turned cold on it. If they'd put an adjustable shock on it and set the price at $4500-4600 I'd have been interested. At 253 lbs wet, it's right there with the TTR and CRF 230's, but has a rear disc. I'm not going to throw $1000 at whatever the aftermarket comes up with to cure a crap shock though. I'll wait until someone else spends the money and pick it up on the used market. Maybe.
    Navin likes this.
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy to see Kawasaki re-release this bike. Had a plated 300 a few years ago and really liked it--great single track bike.
    The added weight is kind of a bummer but the non-adjustable suspension can be worked around.
    With 50 years of trail riding under my belt and having owned several Huskys, Husabergs and KTMs over the years, I still prefer the Japanese foo foo bikes for trail work. A few tweaks here and there, and these bikes can be a real weapon in the tight single and two track.

If it wasn't for the fact I just picked up a cherry completely stock, unmolested '01 XR400R, I'd be seriously tempted to look into the purchase of the new KLX300R.
  4. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    If Honda re-released the XR400, with FI and an e-start, that would be something. Asking for a 6 speed would just be too much. Plus it would end up weighing as much as a DRZ400s (317 curb), which is what?-20lbs more than the latest carbed KLX250 (297.7 w/fuel)?
    brucifer likes this.
  5. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    For what the new KLX weighs, they should have left on a backup kick starter.:dunno
    jeepgeek2002 and brucifer like this.
  6. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suspension, front 43 mm inverted telescopic fork with adjustable compression damping
    Suspension, rear Uni Trak, gas-charged shock with piggyback reservoir, adjustable compression and rebound damping, and adjustable preload
  7. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    hmmmm, kind of surprised to see all the negative comments. I was pretty excited to see this bike.....at this price. Are bikes that cost twice as much better? I sure hope so, but they aren't even on my radar unless my wife wins the lottery or something. The pickings are pretty slim at the $5000 price-point, and this bike appears to have them all covered. Lack of lighting, and not being street legal out of the box are the problems for me, but those can be worked around.

8. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    I like it too. Happy to see Japan re-introducing a trail bike that fills the void in between competition and play bikes.

The new Chinese GPX’s seem to fill the slot as well, but the competitionish water-cooled 6speed 250 is still carbed and costs as much. Might still be worth it as it’s claimed to weigh a lot less, has a kickstarter, and more modern suspension. The air cooled 5speed model seems like a bargain, and more of a trail bike chassis with a play bike engine.
    _CJ likes this.
  9. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Those China bikes just aren't ever going to be an option for me. Not interested, at any price.

Lack of a kickstarter is a non-issue imho. I've watched guys drain their battery on a bike that wouldn't start. Not so surprisingly, all the kick starter did was make them tired and even more pissed off. There are lots of ways to start a bike with a failed electric starter, if the bike doesn't have some other problem that's keeping it from starting. Suspension? I don't know. People get all worked up about clickers, and most have no idea how to adjust them, and probably end up making them worse than non-adjustable shocks/forks. Air cooled? Been there, done that, never going back.

For me, this bike looks like a reasonable option to the Sherco 300 I'll never be willing to drop $10K+ on.

Brtp4 likes this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

The WR 6 speed water-cooled $4999 GPX is fuel injected.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Almost all non adjustable shocks are also non-rebuildable too. Sealed junk, no remote res and ready for the trash soon after purchase. Damper rod forks are more common than not on Big 4 budget bikes too... its not 1975.
  12. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    Oops-red rong!

I’m really liking the air cooled GPX with the smaller wheelset for the ol lady, finally a smaller bike that doesn’t have shitty suspension!
    Navin likes this.
  13. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of the older trail riders I know would really like to see a nice tame trail bike engine, in a light frame with low seat height and great suspension. Think a e start CRF 230 engine in a slightly lowered CR frame. Make it 220 lbs and they will sell like hot cakes. As for me, I just want E-start for my XR400. I can handle the weight, the power is perfect, its just a killer to kick start after a drop. This klx300 might work for me, but it would have to have a lot more power then my wifes klx 250, that things sucks, even my 13yr old son thinks it sucks for power.
  14. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    And you think Kawi isn't going to have parts available to rebuild this fork? C'mon man.

15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Not what I wrote.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  16. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, $4,799 in 2007 dollars is $6,072.79 in 2019 dollars, so technically it's cheaper now. Which...is something, I guess? (I just like inflation calculators) :dunno
    _CJ and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is on my radar, already waiting for a call from 2 local dealers to tell me when this bike and the 230's get here. I had an older kick start model and other than being hard to start at times, it was a good bike. I know this one is heavier but it is EFI and ES and its not a top notch competition bike, its a reasonably priced trail bike and other than GPX which Navin has thoroughly tested for us, there's not much new price wise to compare it to. I wish it were street legal like their new KLX230 is, but that is workable like a few other's mentioned, just added expense and hassle. I will be checking it out closely and pass final judgment afterwards.
    _CJ and Navin like this.
  18. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    The dirt only KLX300 had a lot more beans than the choked down 250s. Not to diss the XR400, but it ain't no powerhouse either, and weighed quite a bit more than the 300. I've ridden a pretty hot 440ex quad (don't tell anyone) and it had a fair amount of power, but i'm sure nothing close to the new 450L. For us old farts the KLX300 might be a refreshing blast from the past if were not to feeble to pick the heavy arse thing up.
    [​IMG]

Back when purple wuz cool.
    https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/1997-honda-xr400r-vs-1997-kawasaki-klx300r-3334.html
    Adanac rider, _CJ and Navin like this.
  19. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    It's also likely that a properly tuned EFI on the new bike should make way better, if not more horsepower than the wimpy CV carb on the older model. IMO the carb and forks were it's main shortcomings.
    Navin likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I would think there is a much bigger / heavier muffler on their now.
    The starter and parts has a weight.
    I'm sure FI parts all add up too.

But once it's a $5k bike not a 9-10k so what do you really expect Kawi to do to loose weight elsewhere? It's a play bike.