2020 Kawasaki KLX300R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Fixed.

Sure, it’s a bit outdated, but still a twin cam water cooled bike with “decent” suspension is a class above the spindly RSU forked two valve air cooled play bikes.:dunno
    eakins and _CJ like this.
  2. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with this "play bike" term? Like everyone else is a professional rider, or "serious" about racing or something? Aren't we all just "playing" out there on the trail?

3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Play, trail, enduro, race.
    I'd say different terms used for charging more and higher spec bits.
    ADV/dual-sport/etc.

All just marketing terms.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I guess I'm just the odd man out in being accepting of mediocrity regardless of price. Just figured that with 25 years of tech advancements, manufacturing advancements and production in nations with lower labor rates , that the bike would improve rather than devolve even if it meant selling it at a market price commensurate with inflationary increases. At the very least , they could have kept the lighting.

Look, I've put 78k miles on my 2003 klx300r and I'm sure that this new version will be an enjoyable bike that will provide years of trouble free service for it's owners. That doesn't mean that it gets a free pass and apologies in areas where it clearly falls short ,especially in regards to It's 25 years old predecessor.

As a life long Team Green fan, I'm simply in The group of those disappointed in this re-release and the seeming lack of effort on Kawasaki's part. I think that the new klx230r is a much better play/learners bike and I would steer new riders away from any offroad bike that weighs as much as the new 300r.
  5. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Times sure have changed though and not only for the better. I feel in this day and age price OR quality sells, but you don't see much of a combination. The Chinese are trying with the GPX and CSC bikes and I think that is helping to fuel the fire at this level. I enjoy the benefits of technology especially EFI and 6 speeds with disc brakes and adjustable suspension at both ends. BUT......you can bet that exhaust adds a bunch of weight, thank California for that! Manufacturers can't take 100% advantage of technology when they're regulations involved guess that's why street legal models are heavier.

I hear what Ginger Beard is saying and I'm glad these bikes have been proven reliable in the past by people like him. But at this point I'm just glad they're making an effort otherwise we'd be stuck with old bikes or old tech or have to spend $10k or more. When you figure the cost of everything and exchange rates and who knows what else, if you can get out of the fees, the MSRP isn't horrible for a new bike even if it is kinda heavy.

I grew up in the days of dual shock bikes with
    6"-8" of travel and drum brakes and only wish I had bikes like this available to me back then even at 5 times the price because I make more than 5 times the money I did back then and they cost about $1,200 new.

So I'll check out these bikes when they're available and see how they feel in person and go from there. If it needs a little help like skid plate, exhaust and hand guards, well that's the way it goes because most people buy those even with a $10k bike. Some even redo the suspension especially if they're bigger guys so that's just an added expense regardless of what they buy, just glad this suspension is rebuildable and can be modified unlike the 230 models will be.

I hope this bike sells well, better than the first go around anyway and they keep giving us more choices. If they didn't make an effort, I guess you could say they're pulling a Suzuki because I don't see anything new from them that I'm interested in and they used to have good stuff back in the day.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I think that is something we can all agree on. :beer
    DeepBarney and Huskyfatman like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Kawi is just looking to invest very little, keep costs low, sell for cheap $ compared and hope to sell ALOT.

That's kinda what they do in the dirt end of their company. Look how long they milked the KLR.
  8. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

KLR and KLX's are hardly Kawasakis dirt end.
    [​IMG]

Bikes are designed for a world market not just the USA.
    Brtp4, MotoChris521 and Ginger Beard like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I can see that. I'm just butthurt that I don't have a factory fresh KLX350r or better yet, a plated 450. :lol3
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  10. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a younger fella, watching Supercross/Motocross whenever I could catch it on tv and , all I wanted was Big Green dirtbike. I still feel like I want Kawisakis to this day whenever I see a green dritbike or dual sport.

I wouldn't get a KLX300R because I'm not currently interested in one I'd have to trailer somewhere, but whenever these threads pop up I do get a hankering for a KLX250. Dunno that I'll do it but....maybe. Though I do know that's not the bike in the pic or what you're addressing, it caught my fancy. Curse you, Kawisaki green!
    _CJ likes this.
  11. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190715_151238.jpg You know I had a Kawasaki KLX 300 R, and I wasn't very impressed with it, didn't have any balls, with too little power, I liked my Honda xr400 better, but this is just wrong, just because it's got fuel injection and a 6-speed, this bike that I just picked up for a quarter of the price of the new 300, is more than 15 years old technology,you need enough power to get out of other people's way, you can say whatever you want but this is just ass backwards... And this is a green bike too, electric start included, 20190715_142735.jpg klx400R...bone stock, with lights and a title
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  12. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    $1,250 is a pretty good deal for a bike that clean, congrats!!!

Even if it is just a green DRZ!!!:hide
    Ginger Beard and _CJ like this.
  13. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    Honda did it with the 450L, but it's over $10k and weighs like 30-40lbs more than the Eurotrash 450's.
    Ginger Beard and _CJ like this.
  14. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Historically the Japanese have mostly been conservative with their motorcycle design, their off-road bikes more so.

The motorcycle industry is in the shitter right now. USA sales peaked in 2005 with over a million units, then fell off a cliff in 2008 with half that number being sold in 2009. My guess is the manufacturers will be gun shy and conservative for a looooong time.

The Japanese will likely continue to do what they do best: Build fiscally safe and conservative designs using as many existing parts as they can.

15. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Yes . "But" certain models,MX and sportbike, get updated frequently. Lesser models get the trickle down tech at some point.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    I wonder how this bike compares to the older Husky TE310 or the newer SWM version RS300R? I know the transmission ratios were too close in them, but I don't recall anyone griping about power or weight, were they high strung motors? All I've heard about them are they're tough motors that can take a beating(not the X-lites), but I couldn't live with that CR transmission from what I've read. I can't help but wonder if this KLX isn't a better substitute for the RS300R, its certainly cheaper. Anyone have experience on both the older KLX and either Husky TE310 or SWM RS300R and care to make any observations? Are they even comparable or are the European models still too race oriented even though SWM is touting theirs as trail bikes? It's obvious they have more suspension and probably more power, but are they useable? By that I mean is the power all in the upper RPMs and the suspension too harsh and set up for high speed riding? I sat on a TE310 years ago and remember it felt very stiff and more serious than fun, but never rode one.

I have owned a couple KLX 300's in the past and the main reason I sold them was they were hard to kick start after sitting a few weeks, and if I remember the cams had to be pulled to adjust the valves, please correct me if I'm wrong its been a while. I think one of mine had tight valves and needed shimmed and it wasn't much fun. I thought it would be easier to start afterwards but I don't think helped much. ES and EFI on the new model would resolve the starting issue for me, just wonder about the valve adjustments and how the added weight will affect the new KLX.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud, I assume the answer is obvious, the KLX is more trail oriented, the TE310/RS300R is a little more serious of a bike but not as serious as the KTM 350, maybe they split the difference between the KLX and KTM and lean a little more towards the KTM. I didn't mention the KTM 350 because we all know it is about double the price and much more bike. I will eventually find out for myself, going to check out the KLX when it arrives and actually going to check out the SWM's in a couple months when I'm near a dealership that sells them. Even though the transmissions turn me off of them, I will still take a look. So, if someone has ridden both a KLX300 and either a TE310 or RS300R please let me know your thoughts as I have not seen these compared to each other and maybe you could tell me why. Thanks
  17. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you’re pretty familiar with the KLX, but in case it’s news (very old) to anybody, Kwai did update the ACR in mid ‘02 and I can say my GF’s ‘05 is way easier to start than my old ‘97 was. The CV carbs do get gummed up if they sit too long and make starting finicky.

My buddy had a TE310 that I rode a couple times and it’s in a different league than the KLX trail bike, you’re right. WAY more power, and WAY better suspension. His was the later street legal model with the KYB’s. He had done all the uncorking/tuning mods and an FMF pipe and it ripped for a little bike. It was noticeably much heavier that the kick only KLX, but the excellent suspension made it easier to ride fast than the KLX’s wimpy boingers.

The only bad thing on the 310 was the stupid tight gear box. I was looking for seventh gear just taking it easy. Kinda lame for a dual sport. I don’t know how many changes SWM made to their version, but the Husky felt pretty much like a race bike with a plate to me. That gear box would be a deal breaker out here in the desert for sure.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/...varna-te310-vs-ktm-350-exc-f-comparison-test/
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I have an 08 TE250 (a lot of cross over parts with the SWM, same frame and engine except for the bore), and I have had a couple of KLX250s and a 300, I have only used the Husky off road, but I find the gearbox fine. 1st will still chug up hills and I hit 130KPH (on the GPS) on a few dirt roads.

The TE is in another league, but if I wouldn't put it on the road and ride to work like I did my last KLX (and I had the same hard to start if left for more than a week on all my KLXs).

The Husky is a very good trail bike, the KLX300 was pleasant enough, but tried to kill me when I tried to ride it hard.

If I was buying a new bike I would get the SWM before any other bike (they just fit me well), but I could also see myself on the new KLX300 in a few years when I can pick up a second hand one...
    Ginger Beard and Huskyfatman like this.
  19. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    Thanks Huskyfatman and that's what I thought, my KLX300's were 1997 models so you were right on my maintenance experience. SWM has done nothing to the transmission ratios which is a shame, I would probably already bought one if they had a WR 6 speed. Thanks tHEtREV too, I plan to see and ride the SWM's in September, but I am very hesitant about their transmission ratios. I will not need to ride it daily or commute, just connect trails and run errands, carwash, gas station, things like that. The problem I have with SWM at this point is, the prices are alright, but the fees and out the door prices, then needing skid plates and maybe exhaust and larger tanks, probably a seat, heck you're getting near KTM prices and deep into used KTM prices. That's what got me looking at the KXL300, price and overall package. Do I wish it were bigger like a 400-450, like a modern DRZ400/XR400 with 6 speed and EFI? Well sure, but it's not out there other than maybe the GPX450 from China and the CSC R4 is a heavier street version, but they're about the price of the KLX which has a history and dealer network.

I currently have a KTM for my main off road ride but I am getting older and want to tone it down some, that is my reasoning for looking at these lesser(in my mind) models that should be easier to ride and handle. Thanks for the quick replies guys!
  20. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Am I reading that right? Doesn't rev much past 5000? Seems like it would be difficult to gear for singletrack, and still be able to ride 60+mph. Is that why it's not marketed as a dual sport?