2020 Kawasaki KLX300R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Jun 18, 2019.

1. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    2-up singletrack???
  2. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, a lot of Colorado riding, Lost Trail (kinda 50" these days), Pole Creek, (google them) stuff like that, rode Black Bear this year, not single track but still rough 2-up. Not West Lost Trail either, that's definitely a 1-up ride! I'm getting older and slowing down, the lighter bikes help and I won't be doing tough trails 2-up much longer. So I'm looking for something easier to ride, handle and touch the ground on.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Actually the XR4 did not go out of production after it left the US for the CRF.

Honda produced an e-start, USD suspension super moto version and some importers built up dirt wheel version from that.

appalachianaction_xr400enduro.jpg
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd say the 300r is kinda of a response to last year's.
    https://powersports.honda.com/off-road/trail/crf250f
    But a better package overall.
    Maybe Honda will counter respond.
    I'd love a FI XR4! That motor could claw its way up any hill in it's way.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking with some nice mods the 300r could make a great Colorado exploring moto. Motor to claw up hills and suspension to handle the rough is most important here.
    Not try to air out nor race, just get up & down the hill
  6. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    You're right the 300 would be a good Colorado bike but after test riding one it is a weak on the bottom end. On the other hand an EFI XR400R would be even better especially if they slipped a 6 speed in there with it!
    eakins likes this.
  7. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    How about a bigger bore and some liquid cooling too?

5c545bba8f03354fb8178017.jpg
    Bitingdog, North ride, eakins and 2 others like this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Of course and alot more $ too.

I have not spent any time on the 450L but did own a XR4. That motor design had great low end tractoring torque. Had all the power I needed.

I would have kept it and modded it more if not for the kick starting. Proved to be a big liability at times on the side of a mountain.

I would love to see a bigger bore air/oil cooled motor bike updated with FI come onto the trail riding market. Something w/o a sky high seat too. I'd give up ground clearance, as I'm not charging & lofting over rocks just slowly picking a line up the hill.

Heck even the CRF250F model but built with better suspension or even just cartridge traditional forks vs the low end they use.

The Japanese mfg seem to built very basic lower trail bikes or supper tall high bikes one step away MX. That's why I had high hopes for the 300R. Finally a trail bike bigger than a 250 that also had FI and decent suspension.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer.
    Gearing or fueling issue?
    Or just the nature of the motor?

Was the carb version weak on the bottom too?
    I seem to remember that was a real popular machine back in the day for Colorado mtn riding, but kick start only was the liability.
    Don't remember hearing about a weak bottom end.
  10. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be due to a lean map. If the bike turns out to be popular, an aftermarket tuner or ECU might fix the low end response. Need more feedback from riders with experience dealing with FI.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I'm sure California green sticker compliant really affects that.

Do you know, was the carb version weak at the bottom?

EJK/Dobeck have made tuners even for low volume bikes so that might be the best bet.
    Hopefully someone with one has contacted them. http://www.dobeckperformance.com/dobeck-EJK-controller.asp
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    My "99 KLX300 had good low speed power and I had to gear it up as far as possible to get it to cruise at 60mph. The KLX450 was worse. If they put that old close ratio trans in the new one....that's a deal breaker. It was smallish, light, and the kick start didn't really bother me. I liked it. I agree that a 400cc to 500cc would be much better.

From my experience the DR350 and 2012 - 2016 KTM 450/500 exc/xcw gearing is about perfect. 6 speed wide ratio gearing is just as important, to me, as the motor.
    Wallachian Spikes and eakins like this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the 250 Booster Plug will work as is or BP can tweak software for the 300.
    All Kawi connections to the airbox air temp sensor appear to be the exact same type so the 300r probably is too.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-kawasaki-776p.html
  14. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    The original KLX300 was pretty soft in lower rpm’s and the boggy CV carb didn’t help, but compared to 250’s of the era it wasn’t bad. The XR4 and DR350 had more punch down low but weighed a lot more. The KLX was also stupid easy to kick over.

Does anyone know if they ever figured out the fueling for big bore kits on the FI KLX250’s?
  15. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Hey Gumby!

The 450L’s looks super sweet! I always liked the “compact” feeling of our KLX’s and KDX’s though. I need to swing by the dealer and check them out.

My experiences with FI has not been stellar. The Husky 610 was great, but dealing with the damn eurotrash fuel pump issues on the 570 Husaberg kinda stokes my carb appreciation.

I’m sure the Japanese bikes have superior electronics, but I’d guess they only import one 50 state bike that passes CARB standards, and if it ends up being a dud in sales, tuning options might be limited.

How lean was your 450L?
  16. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    The EFI seemed fine, but it was probably lean, gearing wasn't bad of course it can always be lower in the mountains. I think its more the nature of the motor. I had a carb model years ago and I think it may have been a touch better on the bottom end but then again it may be just that it was lighter. Kick starting was a bit of an issue and the early ones had a possible idler gear issues and the cams needed to be pulled for valve adjustments, later models and this new one do not. I currently have an 2013 XCW 450 so a CRF450L isn't much different, I am looking for something not so serious or high strung, modern XR400 or DRZ400 would be fine, but I guess it'll never happen. The KLX300 is a pretty good bike for the money though, I think they will sell well and even better if they don't add all these stupid fees to it, that is part of the problem when it comes to buying new bikes, hard to tell how much anyone is going to add regardless of advertised price.

Does anyone know if the new KLX300 has the same crap as the new KLX230, clutch switch, purposely high idle under certain circumstances built in the ECU? Its a shame to have that mess on the 230, seems like the Aussies have the best version without that garb.
  17. Blind_Beard

Blind_Beard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know for sure but all the first-ride reviews I've read complain about that 'feature' on the 230's but don't even mention it while they're talking about the 300, so I'm thinking that's not something 300 owners will have to worry about. Definitely going to see if the dealer near me has any in the showroom. I'd love to take a closer look and sit on it. Seriously considering this bike as the one to relegate my little TTR to loaner-bike duties. But hey, then I'll have someone to ride with :D

Idk, I'd look at used XCW's for a price similar to the 300R but maintenance intervals/cost and unknown service history are making me weary.
  18. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 XCW 450 and its been bulletproof to date, no issues, maintenance is easy. My issue is I'm getting older and these type of bikes can be a bit too hardcore for me, so I am looking to downsize to something like the 300 but I'd rather it be a street legal 400/500 easy to ride and maintain.

I didn't think the 300 had all the garb the 230 has since the 230 is geared more towards a beginner, but it could actually be a really decent bike without the garb and better suspension, which is what it seems like the 300 is.
  19. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to stray too far off-topic, but stock the bike is lean with a VERY tight engine. At first, a lot of stalls out of nowhere, then gets better with some time. Once broken in the leanness is tolerable, and the engine runs pretty good, but still has some lower rpm surging. The vortex and pipe turns it into a very powerful, torquey engine with strong run-out. The suspension is the best OEM I've ever been on. The vortex with the stock pipe is pretty good too, but not as powerful (probably about 42 HP vs 46+/-). It is stronger everywhere than the Beta 430 rr-s I recently had . It is a good handling bike and very fun to ride. Confidence inspiring. Weight-wise it feels about the same as the big Beta dual sports I've owned even tho' it weighs about 5 lbs more modified - it carries the weight low.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  20. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Ha, you're funny. I have the "13 450xcw also. Best bike I've had. I find it fun and easy to ride. Doesn't have a snatchy throttle, very linear and no quick power band. Really fun bike and affordable used. AND I'm only 75yo. :lol3
    [​IMG]

I'm looking at the 300 for a friend now riding an old XR250. :D
    EastBoundAndDown likes this.