2020 KTM 350 EXC-F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dirt Rider, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider Old Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    21B099DB-D9C9-49B8-9DF0-1C4C2922DEA6.jpeg I just brought one home Friday. Sure has a lot of changes from the 2019. So as folks get ahold of these, please post findings. It now has a closed loop injection system, a little lighter, a little more power, upgraded suspension, no skid plate ( ugh), larger/lighter muff. Exhaust pipe design all new.
  2. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you come from the previous gen 350? Curious to know your impressions regarding the suspension performance between both generations.
  3. Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I had a ‘16 350 and an ‘18 350 Husky. Should not have sold the Husky as I thought I was through. I’m 74. But decided I needed one more. Can’t really say much about the suspension as all mine were lowered 2” which changes much. I liked the Husky forks better than the ‘16 KTM. It had Xplor forks like the new bike. It rode really smooth and I did not change any valving. New bikes suspension is now out for lowering. I pick the spring rates for my riding. 10% stiffer than stock. Worked out ok on Husky so doing same to the KTM.

A friend of mine has the ‘16 KTM up in Oregon City. He likes it but is undersprung for his weight and ability. He needs to up his front spring rate as it bottoms a lot.
    El Pacifico likes this.
  4. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’m on a 2012 350 which has the open chamber forks and am pleased with them. Stock height, and sprung for my weight.

We also have a 2017 350 at home for the lady. It has been lowered and as you pointed out, it’s hard to compare. I briefly rode a 2018 501 with stock suspension and liked the one on my 2012 better.

I’m hoping to eventually test ride a 2020 350 or 500 to get a sense of the suspension.

I’ll be checking in here regularly to read up on your experiences with the new gen 350. They look great.
  5. Sixgun

Sixgun Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I used a couple of his products on the '16. I liked the clutch weight. Now with the 02 sensor on the bike I probably will not do anything to it. 40+hp is plenty. I might order the clutch weight however. Some folks say he is a snake oil salesman but I was happy with what I bought. His exhaust tip for the muff was louder with his restrictor insert than the stock endcap with the screen removed according to my meter. I also had the manifold.

Also for dualsporting the '16 KTM was geared too high as far as I was concerned. I went from a 45 tooth to a 49. Worked ok in CO at altitude. My Husky came with a 52 and I changed it to a 49. The new bike will also get the 49 tooth.

I had GPR steering dampers on the '16 and '18. Not sure I will do that this time, however I liked the damper in the CO rocks. As I said above I am now 74 and don't need fast, I need light weight and lower to the ground. I have made and designed a shorter side stand that makes it easy to use the footpeg to mount and won't break. I used it on the '16 KTM and the '18 Husky. Gonna use it on the new bike if it still fits.
  7. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By closed loop, I’m assuming your saying can’t use a piggyback tuner on them? Bummer.
  8. Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't know. Not saying anything. I think on 02 sensor is a good thing. Best Dual has a tuner listed on his new site showing a tuner in a package for the '20s. I am not going to mess with the bike, Just ride it.
    Sky2adam likes this.
  9. hobomoped

hobomoped Work hard, ride harder

Oddometer: