2020 KTM 790 Adventures being delivered with fault front ABS Sensors

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by michaeldorian, May 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

1. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow 790-er's. A friend and I purchased an S and an R 790 Adventure here in NorCal almost 2 weeks ago and we are still waiting for our bikes to be ready for pick up. The dealer is saying that 790 Adventures that are being recently delivered are being delivered with faulty ABS sensors and that the sensors won't be available until June 7th at the earliest. Our bikes are all paid for but we have not taken delivery.
    • New 790 owners, have you heard of this issue?
    • Since, we have not taken delivery do we have any recourse? 5-6 weeks feels crazy to pay for a bike on the showroom floor and not be able to pick it up.
    • Any advice? What would you do?

*Update*

The issue the dealer is saying is the problem is the front brake pressure sensor.
  2. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Calif-790R - I noticed you just picked up a 2020 in the Bay Area. Any issues?
  3. GonFern

GonFern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my S in Maryland about 2 weeks ago. Was delivered same day I called the dealer to make an offer and havent had any ABS issues in the 600 miles I've put on it. Sure it's not the rear ABS line that is being recalled? (mine had already been done by the time I bought it.
  4. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That does sound like an underinformed salesman. The sales manager probably skimmed the memo from service, and mentioned it to his sales staff in passing. the salesman probably never bothered for clearifacation, and is just repeating what he thought he was told.
  5. onlybetx

onlybetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my 2020 R and my brake light is stuck on from what is presumably an abs pressure sensor up front.
    michaeldorian likes this.
  6. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2020 here in NM, and haven't had any issues. I've successfully employed the ABS in the dirt as well, seemed to work just fine.
  7. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it wasn't that because that was taken care of. They said they discovered that all the bikes have this issue even the ones on the floor so they are not able to take the part from those either.
  8. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that is what they are talking about.
  9. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode a new 20 S home Saturday. They just finished the rear brake line recall. Nothing mentioned about abs. But they were waiting on the recall part all week for the bikes they had in stock before they could sell them. Sounds like your dealer could still be waiting on the part or they have it and just scheduled the fix when they could get to it.

If the dealer took my money and they THEN told me I couldn't have the bike for 3 weeks that would be a problem.
    macaw1us likes this.
  10. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what they did. It was first that it will be ready in 3 days. Then 3 days became 7 days. Then 7 days became 10 days. Etc. And just called them now and they said June 7th. And this last Saturday was when they mentioned the front ABS Sensor things. And today got the update that it will be June 7th. We paid for the bikes already. And it would be 5 weeks total given the new estimate. Not even 3.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dont know that you'll get anyone with so much shut down but I'd be calling KTM Corp both in the US and Austria. Sometimes a customer can get the wheels greased faster than a dealer can. Hard to lose a dealer, they have to much invested. Much easier to lose a customer and I'm sure KTM knows that.
  12. DanOGrande

DanOGrande vorn and confused

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 790S 1.5 weeks ago. Salesman realized that it hadn't had the brake line recall performed yet so..... back to service it goes and before I could even say "it's cool, I'll pick it up Monday"....Boom.... new brake line installed, took it home that day.

I'm sorry for your delay. Your dealer needs a clue.
    BobcatSig and comradecasey like this.
  13. CB734

CB734 aggressively casual

Oddometer:
    This sounds like the same problem mine had.
    790r bought end of March. After installing cc switch and initiating when I rode it the cruise would turn on but not engage. Rode it to dealer to see wtf and found out brake light was stuck on. Laptop told them it had 30% front brake pressure. With lever removed and bleeder cracked ktm wouldn’t talk to them about it until they did the rear brake recall so that took a week to get the hose and of course same result. After waiting on a abs module that did same thing they finally found the right person to talk to at the mothership. To make a long story endless it’s your yaw sensor and it just needs to be recalibrated by some specific riding sequence.they did that and viola it worked. It’s some sort of double redundant in case your brake light switch fails! Brilliant! Hope this helps.
  14. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you drop the bike back off again? What are they doing to resolve it?
  15. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you have the cruise already installed when you picked the bike up new? Or later and didnt realize your light was stuck on until the cruise was installed?
  16. CB734

CB734 aggressively casual

Oddometer:
    I brought bike home,rode around the block a couple times and then installed c/c and hot grips. So I don’t know if brake light was stuck on from beginning. I never checked,dealer claims they did during pdi but who knows?
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Picked up mine in Oregon in March. No issues and my bike left the factory with the rear brake issue fixed, so no recall for me.

Briefly, I had some brake weirdness. The brake light would stay on, even after releasing the front or rear brake. It was only one ride and seemingly was some weird brake switch on the front. My bike has since had the 600 mile service and seemingly no issues.
  18. mediumdiesel

mediumdiesel n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I am working on getting a 790 r in the next week from a dealer in Sac, I hope there aren't any delays.
  19. LostInConnecticut

LostInConnecticut n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Sounds like what is happening to me. Picked up my new 790 R 10 days ago. Cruise Control won't work. CC light flashing. Brake light is also stuck on. I'm going to pass this on to my dealer
  20. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *Update*

The issue the dealer is saying is the problem is the front brake pressure sensor. Apparently a problem on all the 790's that got delivered to them.