2020 Maggie Valley "beat the heat" Information Thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jul 17, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other thread has gotten so long that I am starting this thread dedicated to information on this event only! No unrelated discussion here. Feel free to discuss things in the other thread.

Dates: 2 - 7 August
    8/2 Sunday Checking and meet the other riders
    8/3-6 Mon - Thurs Rides
    8/7 say goodbye and check out

This is not an official event. It's just a chance for scooter riders (and potential scooter riders) to spend some time together and ride the fantastic roads in the area. There is no entry fee. Don't expect a highly organized event. If you aren't satisfied you can get your money back:D

Why Maggie Valley? Typical high temps in August are high 70s or low 80s. It is surrounded by fantastic roads many of which are at high elevation and stay cool. Maggie Valley is a popular destination for riders offering plenty of restaurants, motels and of course great riding.

The main motel for this event is the Tanglewood motel and cabins. Rate is $79 for rooms and 159 for cabins. This is a discount rate assuming we book at least 10 rooms. You can book your room by calling 1-828-926-1894 and telling them you are with the scooter group. More details on the motel: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020...eat-scooter-ride.1434287/page-5#post-39975117

There were still 5 rooms left as of 7-15.

This will be the second year for this event. Last year it was planned at the last minute and we still had 10 riders participate. My ride report for last year is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-118#post-38254195

Last year I led a ride every day. This year we will have a lot more riders. I will not attempt to lead groups of 20 or more riders on the twisty mountain roads we will be riding. My limit will be 10 riders in my groups so some other riders will have to step up and lead some rides.

We just did a Pre-ride earlier this week to check out the area. My ride report is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-170#post-40454580
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Best I can tell, this who is coming. Last edited 7-20-20

@klaviator Like150i
    @Raptorman Vespa GTV
    @rdhood Kymco DT300?
    @CashCow Vespa GT
    MRS CashCow - ?
    @Dan V. Vespa GTS
    MRS DanV Kymco Bet & Win
    @Bueller Xmax?
    Candi
    @2372ighost Vespa GTS
    @JRowland DR650
    @tonymarchman Vespa GTS
    @dp064 CSC SG250
    @cleanerman Honda Reflex
    @cdwise Vespa GTS
    SteveR Vespa GTS
    @Diesel GTS250 Vespa GTS
    @OAD vespa gts, aprilia sport city or mp3 500
    @ScooterPops Smax
    @CTOCONNOR x 2 Vespa GTS x 2
    @HH Vespa GTS
    Mrs HH
    @ponydrvr CTX700
    Mrs ponydrvr
    @ScooterJon Honda Forza
    @Auto360 Silverwing
    @Sirkitrider Burgman 650
    Charles Burgman 650
    Eric MP3 400
    jpowell692 Burgman 650 (on the Maxi Scoots Forum)
    @Bar None Ice Bear Vision 150 & other bikes
    @Buckybuck Xmax

Maybe:

@Rick G Vespa GTS
    @bikeridermark ??
    + 3 friends Tmax/400Kymco/Xmax
    @scootaloo ??
    @sanjoh ??
    @SweatyTeaBags Monkey Bike
    @Fireman1000 Monkey Bike

That makes 32 plus 9 maybees. I haven't heard anything from most of the maybees so I don't expect most of them to make it.

Let me know if any of the names or bikes above are wrong.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Planned rides. This schedule is tentative and may be changed due to weather or other considerations.

Day One, Monday Aug 3rd.

Ride to Deal's Gap. The route will be an easy ride of around 69 miles from Maggie Valley to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. The route I will take is 19 to 28 to Deals Gap. Very simple

An alternate (not recommended for smaller scooters) is 19 to the BRP to 74 to 28 to Deal's Gap.

The return route is just the reverse but longer options with some great roads are available.

Deals Gap (DGMR) Has a restaurant and is a great place to hang out, socialize and see all kinds of exotic bikes, cars and people from all over the world.

The Tapoco Lodge is about 1.5 miles away for those who wish to eat there. They have outdoor seating with a view of the river.

Of course anyone who wishes can ride through the dragon and back. Its 11 miles each way with a claimed 318 curves. Ride at your own risk. The road isn't that challenging but some of the riders/drivers on it aren't up to the task of riding/driving it safely. I plan on riding through it at least once. There will be professional Photographers set up just waiting to take your pic as you ride by. Of course we can take pics of each other as well.

There are plenty of other interesting short rides there.

1.3 miles south on 129 is the fugitive dam where Harrison Ford jumped in the movie "The Fugitive". Just downriver from that is a dead end road with great scenery and is a great photo spot.

Fontana Dam is just south off of 28.

I have a "secret" loop Will share when we are there that is twistier than the dragon but with very little traffic.

Tuckaleechee caverns in Townsend, TN is 39 miles from DGMR or 28 miles from the end of the dragon. The route includes the old part of the Foothills Parkway.

Bryson City is a neat small city that is a right on the route to or from Deal's Gap. The "Road to Nowhere" is an interesting 6 mile (each way) or so detour out of Bryson City.

The reason I am scheduling this on the first day is that it will be the best chance for us to meet each other and socialize. Also, the restaurant at DGMR isn't open for lunch Tues-Thurs.

Since this is a simple route I will leave it to everyone there to find some others to ride with or find their own way. If anyone wants to follow me that's fine and I won't limit the group size on this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Day 2, Tuesday route:

This will be what I call Curves, Curves and more curves. We will ride a route of nearly non stop curves to the town of marshal. After that we will get into the really curvy roads to the North and east of Marshall. I will lead one group. @cleanerman has also volunteered to lead a group so I will probably need one more ride leader. I will get the exact route to the ride leaders and maybe have someone make up a GPX route for those who want it.

We did this route on day one of the pre ride. Ride report is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-170#post-40454662

This ride will be just under 200 miles. That doesn't sound like that much but it will most likely be the most intensely curvy 200 miles you have ever ridden.

For those who want a less strenuous and shorter route my suggested alternate is to ride from Maggie Valley to Marshal to Hot Springs and back to MV. This ride is a little over 100 miles and is still a great ride
    2372ighost and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Wednesday.

Hairpins, waterfalls and scenery.

This is a very scenic ride with some very curvy roads. It will take us on the Blue ridge parkway and through the towns of Sylva, Highlands and Cashiers. I will lead a group on this ride. We will probably need two more ride leaders.

This ride has some four lane lane and more traffic than the Tuesday ride. There is also a one mile stretch of dirt/gravel. There is an alternate route with no gravel but it isn't as good of a ride. This ride is also just under 200 miles.

We did this ride on day two of the pre ride: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-171#post-40458998

Detailed route:

From the TangleWood Motel.

Turn left (south) on 19
    Exit at the BRP, turn right and go North on the BRP
    Left exit to 74, take 74 south (right turn)
    Take exit 55 for Sylva and follow 23 business to 107
    Left on 107 towards Cashiers
    Right on Cullhowee Mtn Rd.
    Follow Cullhowee Mtn road to the end
    Left on Pine Creek Rd.
    Stop at Pines Creek Rec area - there is a parking lot, outhouse and sand beach there.
    After taking a break, left on Pine Creek rd (reverse direction)
    Follow Pine Creek rd (take a right at fork - sign "to Franklin")
    Pine Creek rd becomes Walnut Creek rd - follow to end
    Left on 28/64 - follow to Highlands, NC. There are several waterfalls on this road.
    In Highlands go straight. This becomes Horse Cove Rd and later Whiteside Cove rd. Just follow it until it ends at 107
    Left on 107 to Cashiers.

(Horse cove rd is dirt/gravel for exactly 1 mile. Alternate route to avoid it is to take 64 from Highlands to Cashiers.)

Cashiers has a Wendy's, a gas station with food, a Subway, BBQ place and maybe more. Stop as needed for lunch, gas and/or takeout. (there are no more gas stations on the route except maybe one shortly after cashiers)

From Cashiers go east on 64
    Left on 281
    Right on Charlie's Creek Rd.
    Left into small park just past the intersection (Little Canada Recreation Park)

This park has shade, rest rooms and picnic tables. It's a good place for a break or a lunch if you brought food)

Continue on Charlie's Creek Rd to the end.
    Left on 215
    Left on the BRP (South)
    South on 19 back to the motel.

Alternate shorter route: TBA
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Thursday.

TBA. I will decide this route depending on requests during the rally. We don't all have to do the same route. Last year we did a 300 mile ride that included Mt Mitchell and Little Switzerland. I don't plan on riding that this year but I can provide the route if some people want to do it. There are numerous possibilities depending on what people want to ride and see.

Someone PM'd me about a ride to MT Mitchell. Taking a direct route of 276 to the BRP to MT Mitchell and then back would be around 180 miles. Add in a detour into Asheville for food and gas would make it around 190 miles.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Misc ride info.

For those of you who ride with me. I will give a ride brief before every ride. My philosophy is for everyone to ride their own pace and we regroup at turns. I will limit my groups to 10 riders except on the Monday ride to Deal's Gap. Other ride leaders can run things the way they want.

I tend to take it easy on the straights but am probably faster than many are comfortable in the curvy stuff. I also like to stop every so often at good picture spots.

Sunday evening and again on Monday's ride everyone will have the chance to meet each other and try to decide who they want to ride with on the next three days.

Sunset ride. I plan to do a ride up to Waterrock Knob one night to catch the sunset. Which night will depend on the weather. No limit on group size for this ride. It's only around 10 miles each way. If the weather is good I may do this on Sunday evening. Sunset is around 8:30 so we would depart around 7:45, maybe earlier depending on the clouds.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Covid 19 precautions, Dining and other Misc. Info.

I don't want to start another Corona Virus discussion on this thread but everyone needs to know what the law is in North Carolina and how it will affect this event.

NC requires masks in all public buildings. They are not required outdoors unless social distancing can't be maintained.

I am going to request that everyone at this event try to maintain 6 foot separation while socializing at the motel or taking breaks on the rides.

How strictly this is being enforced varies from place to place but everyone should bring along a mask and be prepared to use it when going into buildings. Masks are required in restaurants except while seated at your table.

Restaurants are allowed to be open for dining in but not all have done so. Those open have generally reduced capacity. In Maggie Valley and rural NC many restaurants are family run and not open 7 days per week. Monday is a common day to be closed but sometimes also Sunday or Tuesday. This means that the restaurants which are open on those days are more crowded. Most of them offer takeout.

The motel has fridges, microwaves and coffee makers in the rooms. There is also a pavilion with grills at the motel. It is possible to eat all breakfasts and dinners at the motel if you are worried about CV-19. My plan is to bring food and eat most meals at the motel.

There will be restaurants at our lunch stops for the planned rides on M,T & W. All have the option of eating outside. Those who prefer can bring a lunch along.
    Thursday's ride has not been planned yet.
    Bar None likes this.
  9. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I will not be attending the rally.
    I have contacted the Tanglewood and cancelled my reservation.
    I look forward to reading posts about the ride and seeing the pictures.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can add Candi to the list. She doesn't ride her own bike anymore, so she'll be riding with me. Also I mentioned it in the other thread but it probably got buried - my lifelong friend Eric is coming, and will be riding an MP3 400. He is not an advrider inmate.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Mrs. CashCow won’t be coming.

I will probably ride up, so no parking issues.

Bill

Edit: She might come after all!
    2372ighost and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have her listed as a maybe.
  13. wmailhos

wmailhos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could make the ride but getting things ready to close on new house and moving will take all my time the next month.

Just a suggestion if y'all are going to ride Deal's Gap and go see the Cheoah dam. Go a little further south and stop at Tapoco Lodge for lunch. Great location on the river and some great pizza. I want to stay there one night since they have done a lot of renovations...

Y'all have fun. I'm lucky that I can ride this area any time since I live so close but great riding in east TN/western NC for sure.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Diesel GTS250

Diesel GTS250 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have the rides, and what days they will be on, been posted yet?
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Other than the Tail of the Dragon ride I think there will be several options each day to choose from so probably not a real schedule.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yes. Go back and read the first few posts. To keep this thread from being stretched out like the other one I reserved the first several posts of this thread and am putting all the info there.

I have a plan for the first three days and plan on leaving Thursday open to accommodate requests. I have not posted the details of the routes I'll do that soon and get someone to translate into GPX as I don't do GPS other than Google Maps on my phone.

When I update information I will go back and put it on those first several posts, not put it at the end of the thread. I'll put a note at the end of the thread to notify every of updates. I recommend everyone go back to the top of the page as I have added to several of the posts.
    Bar None likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
  18. Diesel GTS250

Diesel GTS250 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  19. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klaviator, didn’t Virginian drop out? He’s still listed as attending.
    The Virginian likes this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I fixed it.
    The Virginian likes this.