2020 Maggie Valley "Beat the Heat" Scooter Ride

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Mar 13, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Edit. This thread is now pretty long. The dates are August 2-7. The latest info on this event is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020...eat-scooter-ride.1434287/page-9#post-40024782

List of attendees: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020...eat-information-thread.1457136/#post-40463457

@cdwise has designed T shirts for this event. If you are interested here's the info: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020...eat-scooter-ride.1434287/page-8#post-40001133

Last year's Maggie Valley event was planned just a few weeks in advance and we still got 10 riders from 6 states to show up for at least some of it. This year I thought I'd start the planning a little earlier.

I'm thinking August 2-7 for this year.

Why August? It's stinking hot in much of the country, specially here in the South. Maggie Valley on the other hand typically has highs in the 70s or low 80s. Last year I wished I had worn a regular jacket instead of mesh the first two days. It was kind of cold due to the high elevations we were riding at.

Here's what I'm thinking for this year. Arrive in Maggie Valley on Sunday Aug 2nd. Maybe do a short afternoon ride. 3-6 will be riding days. Friday the 7th might have a short morning ride before heading home. Why do this during the week? Less traffic on the road and much cheaper motel rates.

Last year we stayed at the Castlewood Inn and it worked out pretty good. I'm open for other suggestions. The Castlewood was great for hanging out together before and after the rides.

The dates are tentative. I'm open to change the dates if there is a good reason.

This will be four days of riding super twisty and scenic roads in the NC mountains. I will most likely lead this ride on my Majesty. It's a scooter event but anyone is welcome.

If you are interested or have any questions or suggestions, post it in this thread.

Last year was a blast. The ride report from last year is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-118#post-38254195
  2. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm putting it on the calendar right now.
    God willing and the creek don't rise , I'll be doing my best to be there.
    Maggie Valley is a favorite of mine since before we moved back to NC.
  3. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm putting it on the calendar, klaviator. I am a new scooter rider and have only ever ridden solo, but I have put in about 3000 miles in the last 4 months on the twisties around here (and they are considerable), so I should be up to it. I'd be riding the Downtown or the BV350
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    It is on my calendar. I will try to make it again. Last year’s ride was lots of fun.
    DandyDoug and klaviator like this.
  5. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duly noted!
  6. Dan V.

Dan V. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't have to twist my arm very hard, buddy. On the docket.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You live in one of my favorite riding areas. I discovered N. GA back in 1990 when I lived in FL and have been riding there regularly since. One of my long time riding buddies lives near Blue Ridge and is also a recent scooter convert having bought a Like 150i a few months ago. I hope to make it that way in the next month or so. Maybe I'll get the chance to meet you before August.
    rdhood and DandyDoug like this.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m Planning to be at the same RV park I was at last year Aug 1 - 31. Looking forward to it!
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the calendar and hope I can make it. Maxi or mini scoot?
    klaviator and DandyDoug like this.
  10. 2372ighost

2372ighost Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too will put it on the calendar. Last year was my first scooter ride and I don't believe I could have had a better time on any of my other bikes.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meant to ask maxi or mini? My thumbs suck when I'm cold and riding. :vardy
    klaviator likes this.
  12. rdhood

Oddometer:

I found his Hicks Rd by complete accident one day. I was trying to create an owl town loop (Dahlonega-> Blairesville->BlueRidge->Dahlonega) and took a wrong turn and ended up at that exact intersection. I had gone straight when it turned into a very long dirt road, rode back to the first intersection, and there it was! My problem was with Basecamp... it wouldn't let me add the ittty bitty bridge off of (I think) 129 because it thought it was a dirt road. When I opened it up to dirt roads, it takes me to places that are sometimes less hospitable.

Give me a heads up whenever you are in the area and we'll ride. I look forward to it!
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on leading these rides on my Majesty so your GTS will be a better choice. I do plan on setting up some rides for smaller scooters and Grom/Z125 sized motorcycles. Those will probably be shorter weekend rides. If there is enough interest I'd consider doing another Maggie Valley event for smaller scooters.

Edit: I will most likely be on my Like 150i, not my Majesty.
  14. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll tag along on the DR for a day or two for sure.
  15. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll try to make this!
    klaviator likes this.
  16. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. I had too much fun last year to pass this one up!
    Tony in Tn
    CashCow, DandyDoug and klaviator like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I know this is still a long way off and who knows if we will still be able to do this but here's a few thoughts.

If I need to push back the date to be able to do this I will. September or even October would be possibilities. Right now I'll keep it as is.

I was planning on leading the rides on my Majesty but may ride the Like 150 instead. Last year I led the rides on my Like and it worked out just fine. Speeds might have been a bit slower some places but no one complained about the pace being too slow.

We may have to modify things a bit as social distancing rules may still be around at that time. For example we may not be able to go to restaurants as a group. We may want to consider getting takeout for some or all the meals.

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions feel free to post them here.
    rdhood, DandyDoug and Bueller like this.
  18. rdhood

Oddometer:
    If travel is generally allowed then ( and if I stay employed, and if a bout with Covid doesn't take me down), I'm still in. Even on a larger cc scooter, I spend most of my time at <50.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Still planning to be there for the month of August!
    klaviator likes this.
  20. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Also, ride whatever you want. You were plenty fast enough on the Like.
    klaviator likes this.