1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NASA Rallysport Sandblast Rally (Feb 29)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GoGoGavin41, Dec 2, 2019.

1. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    The lack of other events is what keeps me from doing it...I really really enjoyed the NASA format and events quite a bit...fit my riding very well, and was an absolute hoot with everyone. But to be competitive, including entry fees, fuel, lodging, and consumables, it was an easy $1k weekend. That compounds itself when there's only 1 or 2 events on the calendar to distribute that cost throughout...especially when that 1 event is a single day. That being said, it is by far the best way to get involved with rally, and doing it to have fun is significantly cheaper! It's the best way, especially with Bill's coaching to learn how to get in the mindset to flat out go fast...
  2. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a blast year, and Bills class is awesome, but I withdrew my entry for this year. Sandblast is a 26 hour round trip for me from where I'm at now and I've already ran it 4-5 times in various vehicles. I'd rather spend the time riding somewhere I haven't ridden before and maybe I'll come out again next year.
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry you're not coming, but that's very logical
    kainam00 likes this.
  4. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year I did the race with no crew. Parked my truck at the service in Patrick and had to do the shuffle from Cheraw back to Patrick, to retrieve the truck after turning in my time card. And then back to Cheraw for the hoedown.
    Rode behind @keepshoveling while he had a flat for several miles too. :p3rry
    This year, I'm bringing a crew member to help shuttle the truck back to Cheraw after the final service. But this dude doesn't want to spend all day in the service lot( who could blame him?) Any advice on how to manage this? Can he park outside the service area, put the gas can inside the fence and be there when I'm due at service? And when there's several stages between service, can he drive to spectate other areas?
    I'd like to not run afoul of the regs, while keeping my crew entertained.
    NVTS
    keepshoveling likes this.
  5. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    does he ride? If yes, can he just bring a bike to zip around on?
  6. NVTS

Oddometer:
    That could be an option. But can he just enter/exit service as he chooses?
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Yes, but not during the times when a ton of racers are coming in/out. He can also just park the bike on the other side of the fence and walk in/out and ride around.
  8. NVTS

Oddometer:
    Would I list that as a service vehicle also?
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I didn’t when my friend did it but he swerved trying not to hit a dog and broke his shoulder so...
  10. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best/easiest thing is for him to leave the truck in service, you have a spare key, and him make friends with other crews to go spectate. That's what all the crews do anyway - sit around, bullshit, and go see stages together as it's a pretty long day just sitting around at service. There are 60+ other entries, many of them being cars, which usually have 2-4 people crewing, and multiple vehicles. Last year I one of the car crews to drive my truck back to Cheraw since they had more people than vehicles. Saved me a trip.

I strongly advise against having your service vehicle leave the service area, you'll end up with no gas and no food as has happened to me several times. Things get confusing, drives take longer than they should because roads are closed, people get lost, don't have cell signal, and the result is your crew/truck isn't there when you need it. This is especially the case if your crew is new to rally.

Another thing to consider is that cell service isn't always great in these areas. When/if you have a mechanical issue, the organization can let your crew know *if* they can find them. If your crew is out hanging out somewhere (maybe with no cell service), you may be stuck somewhere for a couple extra hours. It's a little bit different for bikes vs. cars, since bikes usually don't need actual servicing, but when I had people crew for me in a car I paid all of their expenses and fed them. It's a fine balancing act keeping the crew happy while making them understand that they're part of a team whose primary goal that weekend is getting you to the finish with a good result.
    keepshoveling and Mr. Ray like this.
  11. NVTS

Oddometer:
    Super helpful, thanks. I gave him last years "rally guide " and we'll get a plan together. I'm not expecting to need much at service as I'm in it for the fun. Moving out of the lites division this year will put me in a more competitive space but that ain't my motivation.

NVTS
    keepshoveling and Mr. Ray like this.
  12. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    $hit! Ya can't take it with ya.

I plead yolo. :drink
    keepshoveling likes this.
  13. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    So @BC61 is driving a car this year? Interesting...
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    the Toby price of advrider.
    GoGoGavin41 and Mr. Ray like this.
  15. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Bill has a long long history of auto racing and works with Ford quite a bit out west...He and Amy will be a great pair!
  16. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:

I wonder what they're competing in. I believe since he's fairly new to the car side, he has to drive a 2 wheel drive. I just hope it's rear wheel drive.
  17. dwdantzler

dwdantzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Y'all know Bill raced NASCAR, right?
    Mr. Ray and WIsixfitty like this.
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    So... reverse Toby Price?
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  19. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BC Moto Rally Racing Clinic is on!

The 7th annual BC Moto Rally Racing Clinic takes place February 27, 2020, Thursday prior to Sandblast Rally.

Clinic registration and info: msreg.com/2020rallyclinic
    Don't let the competition get a wheel on you. Come ride, learn and have fun! A comprehensive clinic giving tips and strategies on roll chart use, riding techniques, terrain reading, line selection, time keeping and practice, practice, practice!

The day will start with a brief "classroom session" followed with drills working on braking, cornering, riding techniques and conclude with plenty of practice on a simulated "rally stage" to put it all together. Whether you are a seasoned competitor, a novice rally racer, or maybe just interested in getting a taste of RallyMoto, this is a great chance to get accustomed to the sand while shaking off the cobwebs with tons of seat time. The class will utilize three sections of Sand Hills Forest roads unique to this clinic and are closed to the public. Rider safety is most important, while we encourage everyone to work on improving their skills and speed, this is a time to prepare for the race, not race day. Save the "little extra" for the Sandblast Rally!

Sign in starts at 8:00 AM, class will start at 8:30 AM and conclude approximately at 5:00 PM with a break for lunch.

Participants will use their personal dual sport motorcycle and are responsible for their own fuel and lunch. The group will be going to a local restaurant or you are welcome to pack a sack lunch.

Clinic cost: $130

Space is limited, don't miss out!
    kainam00 and keepshoveling like this.
  20. Karl G.

Karl G. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just made reservations at H. Cooper Black. Spaces are still available. The phone number is: (843)378-1555