2020 NCW Weekend Ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by WSobchak, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Ride Date - you can pick more than one date

Poll closed Feb 19, 2020.
  1. 13-14 June

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 20-21 June Fathers Day Weekend

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. 27-28 June - Hot?

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Rogue_Ridin

Rogue_Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the government keeps changing its mind on how we get between phases.

Bottom line, we’re in a VERY low risk area and socially distanced on motorcycles.

LETS RIDE

Corona Related Updates:
    -I will let 5 folks camp on our property. Everyone else will need to find a campground. If you're staying at my place you're staying outta the house. We'll get a Portapotty and put up some chairs in the open air.
    -Just like always, everyone manages their own risk. If you're in a high risk category, you should probably stay home, but if a life without group rides just isn't worth living, then you do you booboo!
    -Some of our local restaurants are SWAMPED with to-go orders. Jerry and I waited over an hour for a hamburger on a ride last weekend. Might bring your own lunch?
  4. PNW Buttercup

PNW Buttercup Dancing with dirt roads...

Oddometer:
    I may show up for this...
  5. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    Are the majority of folks attending on big dual sports? Anyone showing up on dirt bikes with plates?? I got a WR450F with a plate and would show up Saturday night after work and ride sunday... haven't explore much over in that neck of the woods...
  6. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mix and match. Husky 701, KTM 690, KTM 990, DR350, 500 EXC, 1200GS, CRF250 Rally and maybe a CB500X and DR200...
    You'll do fine on a WR450. Lots of dirt 2 track with enough pavement to connect the ends.
    One Fat Roach likes this.
  7. One Fat Roach

Oddometer:
    I'm into it. Now I just gotta study a map of the area for some nearby camping. And see if @GenuineSquid is ready to eat some dust
    GenuineSquid likes this.
  8. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you look at the first page I have local campsites listed.

Some of the US Forest Service sites may be closed? I'll run out and check a couple this weekend.
  9. One Fat Roach

Oddometer:
    Dispersed only for the time being. Unless it changes but that's unlikely.
  10. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
    LB... How about reservations at Bonsparte Lake for Fri & Sat nights?
    Ladybug likes this.
  11. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked some camp sites today:
    -Bannon Mountain trailhead has 3 camp spots and is open, bathroom unlocked. No water but there is a stream nearby to filter from.
    -Lyman Lake campground is unlocked/open and the bathrooms are open. No potable water.
    -There is another camp spot named Aeneas Springs. It is on a stream, with camp tables and fire rings and a vault toilet. It is open as well.
    -The private campground up at Bonaparte Lake was open last weekend. Forest Service campground was closed.

If it was me, I'd stay at Aeneas Springs or Lyman Lake.
  12. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    I'm off Thur/Fri and thinking about Lyman Lake. I can put the Jeep/trailer in one spot and my tent in another. That'll hold two and leave two. Let me know if I should do that for you, or I'll just take one spot. Also off on Monday, so I'm not rushing out.
    WSobchak and One Fat Roach like this.
  13. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
    Maybe next year... Reservations made.

So will there be any "Start" point/meet up? Or is this here's your tracks, enjoy your ride? Either way it will be good to get out and ride new territory!
  14. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    Hope evryone is getting just as excited as I am.
    I am planning on having some of my best line choices make it onto video again !

Start points are usually right near Will's house. Halfway thru each days loop is usually somewhere that has hot food and somewhere to sit and eat. Maybe the sit inside option may change this year LOL.
    We had a failrly large turnout last year and broke into at least 3 groups. Find a group that suits your pace and enjoy. It's usually a yo yo for the groups as some stop for ice cream, some for pictures and some to check out old abandoned things... or get off the gpx track.
    WSobchak and PNW Buttercup like this.
  15. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't organize much. I just throw some tracks out and give folks a place to crash (usually). I just offer up tracks, a set of GPS points with camp spots and usually allow people to camp at my house.

The tracks will start at the intersection of Forest Serice 3010 Road (AKA Peony Creek Road) and Aeneas Valley Road. The intersections has a wide turn out and folks could meet up there to start. If somebody wants to set a start time and place that is cool with me.

This years route has Saturday lunch stop at Tugboats in Curlew, but the 'Rona is making things crazy and sometimes you have to wait an hour to get food. I'll let them know we're coming but I doubt they can cook any faster.

Sunday lunch stop is at the Chesaw Tavern, and they're bringing in an extra cook on Sunday so we can get fed in a timely manner.

I'm working on the tracks today and will have something out to you folks by next weekend.
    PNW Buttercup and Ladybug like this.
  16. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    @PNW Buttercup and I chatted yesterday and we will both be there Fri. and camped at Bonsparte Lake. As Buttercup posted she made a reservation for the two of us. Is anyone else camping there?

After months of a funky mood due to winter then going right into stay at home covid-19itis hasn't been very good for my disposition. With things starting to open a bit my mood has improved immensely and getting to spend a little time with my friend PNW Buttercup yesterday chatting about riding and coming up with ideas I'm smiling again.

Since I ride super slow I won't be riding with any of the groups but will follow tracks provided so you will probably see me out there. Just don't roost me as you go by. :lol3 I haven't decided yet if I will bring the DR200 or the F650. If there is an easy dirt road route I might bring the 650.

Things that have my interest:
    • Hot sit-down food halfway through the route
    • Ice cream (I shouldn't make plans when I have eaten yet :lol3)
    • Abandoned things
    • Pictures
    • I didn't see flowers listed but that's always on my list
    I've heard Tugboat in Curlew has good food but I have never eaten there. This might be my chance. Chesaw Tavern should be fun too.

I'm looking forward to this. :clap
    PNW Buttercup and WSobchak like this.
  17. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! Looking forward to the weekend!
    :ricky
  19. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    @WSobchak what was the town we stopped for ice cream at last year?
  20. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    We stopped in Republic and had ice cream. Unfortunately, the place that sold ice cream is out of business now.

Tugboat's (Saturday lunch stop) has very good shakes but I haven't tried a cone.