2020 Northland Ride

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by enduro0627, Sep 5, 2020.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    glitch knows northland better than a lot of kiwis i'd say
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    He's been everywhere, man.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :flush:flush
    Manakau.KTM and oldbeer like this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to decide whether to go on the pre-ride as well as the real ride.... Coffee in Eketahuna in between the two. That might just be too much of a good thing.
    Decisions decisions.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    NEVER!!
    You lucky sods, we just got slapped with another 2.5months of stage4 CoVid restrictions here in MEL. (max. radius 5km, max. 2hrs outing/ day)
    Will be with you every second of those rides!
  7. Mike_J

Mike_J Learner Rider

Oddometer:
    Andrew, Sandhills Rd is a better option, or another option is up Ninety Mile to the Waipapakauri off ramp then south. Tides for your recce ride weekend and Labour Weekend are for low @ 10-10:30 am.
    The Omahuta Rd/Pupuke-Mangapa Rd has this dodgy crossing, its about 2 kms past the Mokau Ridge intersection heading to Kaeo.... ( this pic from a recent facebook posting )
    115909210_173951424137392_3328423827188682913_o.jpg

A little water back in December 2018 resulted in this....
    48363192_1971305506239819_5460233984019529728_o.jpg

There were 3 fallen trees just beyond this crossing when the first pic was taken 5 weeks ago but l expect they have been cleared by now. If you turn into Mokau Ridge Rd just before this crossing you will end up on Waiare Rd. There is also a nice native tree twisty side loop (similar to Fern Flat Rd) via Omahuta Forest Rd/Kauri Pa Rd before the Mokau Ridge Rd intersection.
    enduro0627 and glitch_oz like this.
  8. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb slobber!
  9. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @Mike_J, and @oldbeer. Sandhills Rd has been added now, and I picked the petrol stations along the road.
    glitch_oz and oldbeer like this.
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    AWESOME shot!!

Is that the Mangapa River in the first (Facebook) pic? Must have been some decent flooding to take out that much soil/ road-bed :eek7

As for the "legend" stuff above... all credits go to @Mike_J, who passed on all the detail of Jacksons/ Kauri Pa and much, much more some years ago, when I was asking around here for a 2-week Northland ride.

I still regret not being able to catch up at the time, but it still might happen in the future!
    Couldn't thank you enough for all the joy and kicks we got from your tips and knowledge.:thumb

Thanks for all the "endorsements" above....but if it wouldn't be for everyone here I'd still struggle to find the Northland on a map.
    enduro0627 likes this.
  11. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    The edited map.
    Somehow the waypoints marking the petrol stations are discarded on the map, but I believe those are still in the GPX file.

Attached Files:

oldbeer likes this.
  12. Mike_J

Mike_J Learner Rider

Oddometer:
    Its the exact same place in both pics. Its a simple side creek that feeds into the Mangapa River just 40 metres away but the culvert has collapsed so the road formation is really a dam. You should recognise the rider in the orange shirt. The pic was taken by one of your countrymen..Danny Wilkinson...an extremely talented photographer IMHO, who records all the Aussie and NZ KTM Rallyes. He was taking pics (2018 Rallye of Northland) of Chris Birch pulling wheelies across that flooded culvert then chris left so he continued to take pics of arriving riders. He captured a series of pics of the hapless frenchman (3rd from left) crashing then crawling out of the water. The 2nd from left rider, Harry the KTM mechanic dived down in 2 metres of water to attach ropes to the 1190. There are pics of him standing on the seat with just his head visible above the water. Harry put in some serious hours to get that bike going again. KTM's might be "ready to race" but they are not ready to float....as the rider pointed out later that night.
    Starky307 likes this.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Great yarn! :clap

Lost track of Danny many years ago, still have a copy of a pic of him jumping a DL1000 in the NSW bush somewhere (maybe 2003 or so?)
    Not just an exceptional camera-pilot....
    Paints a lot of colour to that little pocket of the Northland, thanks!
  14. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    They guy in the orange shirt looks familiar....
  15. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    poster.png
  16. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    The reconnaissance ride is in progress...
    We made it up to Kohukohu after an uneventful ride on SH1. The highway was deas quiet after the SH1-SH10 intersection. Arrived at the camp, settled down had dinner (delicious dehydrated food. Yummy! :-)). Now sorting out the details for the ride tomorrow and going to have a good sleep.
    001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
    dazzadm, eri, oldbeer and 2 others like this.
  17. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    004.jpg
    "Good morning Internet! It is 6:30 in the morning." as one of my favorite motorcycle vlogger would start the day :D
    I would swear, I heard the rain two or three times during the night, but everything is bone dry today morning.
    I hope it will stay like this. Looking forward to the day.
    glitch_oz and Manakau.KTM like this.
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  19. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Yeah! We did it. Great day, a tad windy tho' but mostly fine. Jut a little drizzling and light rain towards the end, but arrived at the camp dry. Hoping for the best tomorrow.
    All the roads are good and fun to ride. The collapsed culvert crossing was kind of OK, leaning a little to the dodgy side. I will leave the route as it is and we can see what the following two weeks' weather will do to it and we can decide on the spot to cross it or take a detour.
    Looking forward to riding the same again in two weeks' time.
    Here are a few pictures to tickle your adventure riding bone. :rofl

Full-blown spring with flowers and motorcycle.
    004.JPG

Pawarenga church
    005.JPG

On the road
    006.JPG

Lovely section, enjoyed it a lot
    007.JPG

Catching-up with each other.
    008.JPG

Pupuke Mangapa Road
    009.JPG

Just after crossing the infamous culvert
    010.JPG

I will edit the video once I got home and post it here. I hope all of you had just as a good weekend as we did.
    Ps.: Many thanks to @Mike_J for the support and good advice. We were running late and couldn't pop in to say hello.
    glitch_oz and Manakau.KTM like this.
  20. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Anton was insisting to take a photo of me working on the post. I don't know why he wanted it, but after a few glasses of red wine, I am even more easy-going than usual. :freaky
    011.JPG