1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 R1250 GS / GSA ShiftCam ordered or incoming

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Covert, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put a Remus on it????? The Can is just too big looking.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
  3. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Thanks LW. :thumb
  4. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The demo bike I rode had one on and it not only looked great but sounded even better. I had a chance to buy it but I wanted a brand new bike so that I was the one putting on all the miles. I really don't know why you don't see more on GS's!
  5. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires yet? Just read a report in issue 39 of Cycle News over 7,000 miles on his Adventure.

Waiting, trying to get back to sleep in a nice Motel just up a block or so from San Jose BMW, will be there at 9 this morning to look at, sit on, and try out my new R1250 GS Low, have not even ridden one yet. Haven't ridden any Boxer Beemer since I sold my '10 GS 30th Anniversary. Road a demo '20 R1250R at the Albuquerque Dealer the other day and was blown away. After getting off the 1800, the 1250 felt as a Feather. Kind of like when I had both the '14 HD Road King and my '10GS, switching back and forth every other Day.
    Limbow, SPX and 18415 like this.
  6. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    18415 likes this.
  7. bwiele

bwiele Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's super-exciting about trying the new bike for the first ride. Good luck and enjoy!
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    18415 likes this.
  9. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having them mount a set is definitely not a bad idea. I would absolutely do that if I were you. I love those tires and have converted a few of my buds as well. SJ BMW is an excellent shop too. Congrats and post pics!
    SPX likes this.
  10. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'm a bit partial to them.
    18415 likes this.
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
  12. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    Looks good. I've always been partial to the black/yellow combo.
  13. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did it go? My first trip from there was last Saturday and I was in the same position. Hadn't ridden the bike I was buying until I rode it off the lot.
    ...and it was fantastic. SJBMW was great. They took a lot of time showing me the bike. Some of it even stuck. There is a lot to learn. Then I did 2.5 hours of non stop grinning after that. Made it home safely and that was my goal for the night. How your trip went well.
    Deans BMW and 18415 like this.
  14. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks in part to the jerks on this forum, I did something really stupid today. I test road a 1250 GS.

I've kind of been obsessing over bike size for my next bike. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and 130 lbs soaking wet. I also have crappy shoulders. I have been assuming that the 1250 GS would simply be too big for me.

And guess what? I totally fell in love with it. I am just completely shocked how light and nimble it felt. I would not have guess the bike was 550 lbs wet. Goes to show that the specs sheet doesn't tell the whole story. They had both a stock and a lowered one at the dealer. I sort of tortured the salesmen asking them to mix and match the various seat options between the two bikes. The stock bike was definitely more manageable than I thought it would be. Ultimately, I did find the lowered version a bit more comfortable. Not only could I flat foot it, but the center of gravity felt even lower. I think this would add some comfort at stop lights and also make it easier for me to roll it in and out of the garage. I ended up test-riding the lowered one.

I am actually doing the BMW riders course in South Carolina soon, one day on asphalt and one day off-road. I had originally picked the 1250 GS for the asphalt and the 850 GS for off-road. I think I might change it now and just do the 1250 GS for both! Ultimately, I don't think I would do very serious off-roading on the 1250 GS, but at least I'll get some training at the course (plus, I'll be using a loaner, so not as worried about messing it up!).

Now the next tough question. Do I buy the lowered 2020 model I test road or wait for the 2021? Decisions!
    CrazyMike, idea man and 18415 like this.
  15. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    You most definitely will want to swap from the 850 to the 1250. Do it now. They can always bring out an 850 for you to ride if you're interested but I doubt that you will after riding the 1250, especially off-road.
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  16. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  17. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    The dealer didn't have much info at all. They said they hadn't been provided any information at all ahead of the official reveal. I actually seemed to know more about the 2021 than they did! They only said that I could be waiting months.

CrazyMike posted the link to the prices. I got a 20% discount for doing one day on asphalt and one off-road. I've heard very good things about the course (particularly the off-road course). You obviously pay more if you rent the bikes rather than bringing your own. Even if I get my own BMW before the course, I think I would still prefer renting one from BMW (at least for the off-roading day!).
  18. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    At the time I figured it would be nice to get to ride both bikes. Do you think the 1250 would be better off-road? I assumed the 850 would be better in theory with the 21" front wheel.
  19. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    The 1250 is easier to ride off road and more forgiving. Everyone makes the mistake of thinking a smaller bike will be easier but it just isn't. FWIW, a skilled rider could do more with an 850 off road but you won't reach that level in one weekend.
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  20. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    My dealer and I had this discussion today: Each dealer should get 2 of each model (2 GS and 2 GSA) in October. There's no telling which version of the GS and GSA that will arrive (dealers get no choice). It is expected that the dealers will get a picture of what their allotments will look like in early November.