1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2020 R1250 GS / GSA ShiftCam ordered or incoming

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Covert, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    What say you? Should I got for a gs,or go all the way and get a GSA? I like exploring trails in the woods but won’t be doing too much of that. GS would work and I like the look of it better but maybe not as great resale value. What do you think? I’ll be selling it in a 2 years and hate getting 7000$ wasted by tax and depreciation! Encourage me please! It’s either this or a Goldwing and not trails at all which I know I’ll hate. Havent had a bike in a year and it stinks!
  2. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For resale, specifically ease of resale, GSA. But if you know that you’ll be selling it in two years, and depreciation is an issue, why not buy a used one? You could buy a 2017 or so and if bought at the right price, you won’t have to worry about $7,000 of depreciation.
  3. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Ride both before you buy. Then buy the gsa...lol
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Resale value? Not sure the GSA is going to get you more overall. You have to pay more upfront. Get the bike you like the best. Worrying about resale before you even buy the bike will ruin your enjoyment of the bike.
    Racegun, 3xranger, BigMac75 and 9 others like this.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    In a word - Yes... :D

Hard to talk about major gains in resale value of a more-or-less seasonal toy such a moped is but the facts are that GSAs are made in lesser numbers than GSs so depending on your location, riding population etc etc etc you do have a chance of netting a bit better return of your investment with GSA than you would w GS... Last time I chatted with the local dealer, '19 GSA were almost gone-gone while he had few of various colors '19 GSs on the floor and he could've gotten different one if needed from warehouse - so there's that...

But, you shouldn't allow the resale value to guide you which bike to get - one will suit your riding style and/or needs better than the other and that's the one you'd want to buy...:deal

Money-schmoney - can't take it with you so you may as well enjoy it the best you can!! :thumb
    Tubulchain likes this.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want an investment, buy a property.
    You want fun, and money pit, buy a bike.
    Thats life
    falcofred, jamnut, CarbonCat and 4 others like this.
  7. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I...I...am so sorry. Jeez I needed that. Pls bill me for the copay...
    Shawnee Bill and RickCO like this.
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  9. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Well, depending on your health plan, there may not be much left for moped after you fork out for copay... :lol3
    Tubulchain likes this.
  10. TurboCohen

TurboCohen Jo Daddy

Oddometer:
    Went to Adventure BMW in Chesapeake yesterday to buy a new $120 battery for a 2005 R1200GS. Went back today and picked up a fresh 2020 R1250GS with Low Suspension, Low seat HP trim that was built earlier this month and uncrated this morning. Told the wife I went to get a new battery and for only $24000 extra they threw in a new bike.

You gonna die one day. Go ride.
  11. Adjustor

Adjustor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats - great attitude!
  12. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be interested in your impressions of the differences.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That must be the most expensive battery ever sold... :lol3

Congrats on new moped!! And, as we say around here, "pictures or didn't happen"... :D
    3xranger likes this.
  14. TurboCohen

TurboCohen Jo Daddy

Oddometer:
    #1 Cruise Control. Yes, my primary reason for looking at a newer GS was really cruise control. Didn't need it, just wanted it enough to consider a newer bike.

#2 For over a decade I was on a stock height GS that was WAY too high for my 5'9" frame and 30" inseam which is really 29" when legs are over a bike saddle. The Low suspension and Low seat make off-camber surfaces a non issue when stopping. In fact I almost didn't return to the dealer the next day because I was sure based on what several others who bought the low suspension and seat have said and they were spot on. And its nice getting on and off without throwing a leg high and kicking the tail box or having to jump sideways to get off. This is Yuge.. YUGE. Not everyone has a >32" inseam with legs over a saddle.

#3 The miracle of modern engine control technology. Throttle plate actuation is closer to what I wanted than what I would have gotten based on my own input. The smooth low speed low RPM torque rise = low RPM stability. Cant report on anything over 5K rpm until hitting 600 miles..

#4 Modern Suspension. Lean in is crisper than the 2005 and stability on a diminishing radius turn is noticeably more predictable and some of that may be a combination of suspension and e throttle. Effing love it, nicely engineered.

#5 Clutchless shifting. Wasn't a selling point but damn glad I have it now. Don't leave home without it.

#6 The Japanese bike companies figured out how to layout switches long ago. The new GS switch layout is much improved over the 2005 and is an improvement over classic UJM switch layout. When I picked up my bike it was about 7PM and sun was going down. I rode home the long way and by 10:30PM the switches were where I wanted to find them, especially the high beam.

#7 HP styling package is nice but windscreen is too short even for my 5"9" frame. Putting the standard height GS screen on as soon as possible.

#8 No More Needles for MPH and RPM. Really like having cell phone, nav and TFT display all on the same sheet of music and all accessible without having to take hand away from the left grip. Getting a Sena 30K headset for the helmet today.

#9 The sounds coming from the boxer are more refined, nothing more reassuring than not hearing a rattle or ticking sound and not knowing if it is a normal sound or something to be concerned about.

#10 The rear seat can be repositioned forward or backward. It seemed like a nice feature at the dealer that I didn't initially notice until the financing was done but having a butt stop keeps my ass planted forward and makes the bike seem more comfortable than I anticipated.

#11 See #1
    3xranger, Hogges and Sailorlite like this.
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have sold a '13 GSW. A '15 GSAW. A '16 GSW A '17 GSAW. A 17.5 GSW and an '18 GSAW. I don't think the resale value is any better on a used GSA but there might be a little more demand for a used GSA in certain parts of the county. More demand for the GS in other parts.
    3spoke and 3xranger like this.
  16. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me save you some time and cash. Don't bother with any off the BMW GS or GSA screens. They all suck (GSA screen might be OK if you have a really short torso). I use the Puig touring screen and it is as good as it gets. I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and I ride with it in the down position 99% of the time. Nice smooth airflow.
  17. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Paperwork signed. Should be picking up my 1250 gsa at the end of the week.
    So stoked. Been without a bike since august.
  18. recycled dirt rider

recycled dirt rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paperwork signed. Should be picking up my 2019 1250GS(Storm black metallic with black spoke wheels and premium pkg) tomorrow afternoon since the dealer has to key the top box and get it mounted. Upgrade from hex head GS. Anyone have recommendations for TFT protection film/glass? I am thinking that and cylinder guards should be the early purchases
    IMG_3135.jpg
    3xranger, 18415, Pipeman and 7 others like this.
  19. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been addressed, guys, but are there no new color schemes for 2020?
  20. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No new colors, only change is we get to pick our wheel color options now.