2020 Retirement and the TAT Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by T3/T4 Hybrid, Dec 13, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @T3/T4 Hybrid - just caught up on another report and thought it and the author deserves a mention if you haven't stumbled across either before. @Alexa does an incredible job writing, her prose is the best I've read and completely unique in its approach to story telling. And the images they capture as they travel various spots of NV complete the picture they paint. Definitely worth the time reading in my humble opinion.

Dear Ma, I Find Myself Lost Up in These Here Mountains

Dear Ma, It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

She has another report - titled joining a motorcycle gang (too lazy to search it up...lol). Fantastic reads all the way around.

And sorry for the thread jack, but figured it's appropriate as Nevada came up :D
  2. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Monday, July 6th 2020

The morning was pretty quiet between us, I woke up late and had slept hard the night before so the mind was kind of foggy. I guess all of the traveling was starting to wear me down. JW took off before us in search of tires in Boise ID for his DR. Once we were going the day was on and we made some good miles. One of the first places we came across was Balanced Rock. The rocks and the shapes have all been carved out by nature. The main feature is a rock which is 48ft tall and weighing 40 tons. It precariously balanced on a natural pedestal which is 3ft by 17in so it was time for a stop with a few photos. Of course one of the photos had to have the XR in it.

Pict5.jpg pict1.jpg pict2.jpg

We continued our travels through the high desert area breathing in lots of dust. Part of Sam's Route had us traveling through the Mountain Home Air Force Base and the Morely Nelson Birds of Prey National Conversation Area. This place was fairly remote so we grabbed some lunch and extra drinks at Bruneau's One Stop. The advertisement sign across the street made us laugh along with taking a picture. There was a gas station there also so we fueled up the motors. Once we were on the AF Base there was a sign warning about objects could fall from aircraft so it raised an eyebrow.

pict9.jpg

pict.jpg Pict4.jpg pict8.jpg

As it got to late afternoon we started looking for a camping spot so we checked our normal apps and thought we found a place at Old Fort Boise Park in the town of Parma. After checking it out we decided this was not going to be our place. It was next to a main road along with some industry so there was going to be lots of noise which would equal no rest. Eric made contact with his girlfriend to see if she could find something better and it was a success. We had to travel a little distance but it was on the Snake River at the River's Edge RV Park. Extremely friendly staff along with clean facilities. A hot shower toremove two days of sand and sweat felt wonderful. While in Parma we picked up some beef strips, salad and adult beverages for a decent dinner that evening. We heard from JW and he was successful in finding new tires along with inner tubes. He went with a Shinko tire which wasn't as aggressive like the Tusk but with only one state to go the tires would be better for his return road trip back to San Diego.

pict10.jpg pict7.jpg pict11.jpg
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to Skinny Beans and Peanut's website - https://www.skinnybeansandpeanut.com/ride-reports-travel-blog/ They may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' but they are the best in my book. Really pro level character writing.
    radmann10 and liv2day like this.
  4. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, July 7th 2020

This morning was completely different than yesterdays. I was the one up an early watching the sunrise over the Hops fields directly behind of the campground. It was an awesome feeling. I just set there in my chair enjoying a cup of instant coffee :( taking it all in because you just don't know what life will be dealing us from day to day. I had that got you moment "Im riding the TAT" and I think anyone who has ridden it knows that feeling.

Eric was the one this morning waking up late and I hated having to tell him that we needed to get moving. I guess the steak along with the adult beverages the evening before had knocked him out. LOL

JW met up with us around 0800 hrs and I was relieved to see a new rear tire on the DR. He was also carrying a new front tire for the end of the TAT in Port Orford OR so he could change it out there before traveling down HWY 1 back to his home. JW was extremely please with the KTM Dealership in Boise ID even though he was a Suzuki DR. When they heard about his tire troubles and he was traveling the TAT it was put him to the front of the line. So far on this trip the two KTM Dealerships were given an A+.

After having the motors all packed we started making tracks North but had to stop in Ontario OR for fuel and drinks. Always keep extra fluids on your motors even if it gets warm it is still wet and will hydrate you! Once we were back on the TAT it wasn't long before we turned West and was traveling the new Pacific Ocean Spur Route. This to me is the TAT from all of the Ride Reports I have read in the past. The high mountain desert was extremely beautiful. I hope the photographs do it some justice. A stop along with some exploration at the Malheur Reservoir was a must when we saw the old bus hidden in the weeds. The road going down to the beach area had a lot of washout but all of us made it without any real difficulty.

pict26.jpg pict3.jpg pict4.jpg pict5.jpg pict7.jpg pict6.jpg Pict18.jpg pict20.jpg pict27.jpg
  5. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Continuing

All three of us were smiling from this area. You don't get this kind of enjoyment from sitting inside of the house.

It wasn't to long before we crossed into the Pacific Time Zone and started seeing mountains and trees again. Once we were in the Malheur National Forest the roads were of different varieties from two lane dirt to almost a single lane trail. This was some of the most challenging roads and fun we had since being in Colorado. I am kicking myself in the ass for not having the GoPro charged up and filming in this area. I high recommend this area of the trail. It is outstanding I just wish it could have lasted longer!

pict10.jpg pict11.jpg pict12.jpg
    pict21.jpg

After leaving Malheur NF we traveled along some farming land with great open spaces. The trip to to the city of John Day was relaxing. Once in town we grabbed a bite to eat at the 1188 Brewing Comp and Pub. Yea a burger along with some sides were what the doctor ordered for all of us. Our waitress was phenomenal about knowing the history of the area. Afterwards we found out that she was a local school teacher and this was her extra income job. While at the Pub we located a campground not to far away and it was on the route. Clyde Holiday State Park had very warm showers, clean facilities and was very well maintained. The only negative were the mesquites "damn blood suckers". The fire's smoke along with bug replant helped some. After traveling 230 miles it was time for a good nights rest!

pict13.jpg pict22.jpg pict24.jpg pict25.jpg pict28.jpg
  6. WettBanditt

WettBanditt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wellllll, I just spent the evening (day?) reading this RR. Highly enjoyed it and subscribed. Question, do you keep great notes or is this from memory? When I visited China I purposely sent daily emails so that I could pack in the memories (and match photos with names of similar landmarks spaced days apart).
    norton73 and T3/T4 Hybrid like this.
  7. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:

I'm glad the read has been enjoyed!

I took photos with my android cell phone which I had backed up with Google so each photo has a time line where I was each day. Also before the trip I was given a journal for the trip as a gift so each evening while enjoying an adult beverage. I would write in the journal about the day's travel and experiences. I have a decent memory too so with all three I have been able to chronicle the journey. I guess in my previous line of work where keeping good notes was an essential it has helped me with the ride report.
    norton73, DCrider, i4bikes and 4 others like this.
  8. WettBanditt

WettBanditt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't rule out that being police helped!
    T3/T4 Hybrid likes this.
  9. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:

The investigation side of LEO work was the big help for me because it fine tuned the way you should chronologically file away information. If one would ever found themselves in front of 12 people describing an event. You have to be able to described that exact path on how you were at A then was able reach Z in the exact order. Because if not it would be detrimental to your reputation along with not bringing justice for your victim.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Excellent couple of updates @T3/T4 Hybrid! So glad to read you were treated well in John Day and you enjoyed riding through Malheur NF. That's a beautiful part of the state, the John Day river is something else too. I love going from the forest to the high desert, the change in scenery is fantastic.

I have to admit, though, it's too bad the TAT route doesn't dip further south and cross riders by the Alvord and the Steens range. I know you're planning to do the TAT again in a couple years, some food for thought if you want to take extra time exploring Nevada and then head north and explore some of SE Oregon - did a 7 day solo trip that took me as far east as the Owyhee and Rome OR. If you're looking for incredible riding - it's there.

Look forward to the next update, you guys are getting close to the "finish line".
    bomose, T3/T4 Hybrid and WettBanditt like this.
  11. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link!!

Watching the video makes me want to add a drone to my gear. LOL
    The lone stallion charging up to protect his area was majestic!
    liv2day likes this.
  12. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, July 8th 2020

While packing up the motors this morning Eric and I talked about taking a down day soon to get a break off of the motors. We hadn't taken a day to rest since we were in Lake City CO waiting on the battery to arrive for his KTM. After taking a quick look at the route we knew where the place was going to be.

After leaving the campground we made a quick stop at the Chevron Food Mart in Mt. Vernon to fuel up the motors along with grabbing some breakfast. A microwaved biscuit and gas station coffee was better than nothing. The clerk was very interested in our trip and how long we had been traveling. He gave us a paper map of the area which we were going to be traveling through. Once we left Mt. Vernon it was a left turn heading South West towards the Three Forks area along with the Ochoco National Forest. The roads on this day were mostly two lane dirt which we could make good miles but of course it was dusty with the dry conditions. At one point we could tell there had been a forest fire but as always life restarts and rebuilds. We did come across an Elk Fawn/Calf alone hiding under a tree. We stopped to only take a photo at a distance so we wouldn't disturb it and possible separate it from the mom which had to be close by.

Pict1.jpg pict2.jpg pict3.jpg pict4.jpg Pict.jpg pict5.jpg pict6.jpg
    pict10.jpg

We stopped on HWY-26 in the city of Prineville after seeing a cool mom's and pop's restaurant/diner setup in an 1956 Spartan travel trailer called Toni's BBQ. The owner was extremely friendly plus it had good BBQ along with homemade carrot cake.

pict8.jpg pict9.jpg
  13. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Continuing

While at the diner we looked on the GPS and Google for a place to camp along Sam's Route just off of Route 27. There were numerous campsites showing to be along the Crooked River so we felt our chances were pretty good at finding one. We grabbed some supplies from the Shell gas station in town along with fueling up the motors.

Afterwards we turned South out of Prineville and started looking for a campsite. We found the same thing over and over which was people; most of the campsites were full. Luck was finally on our side and we located a site in the Chimney Rock Campground which was set along the river with great views. Once camp was setup I kicked back in my chair and enjoyed a few adult beverages just watching the water slowly pass by. It was very peaceful and enjoyable evening.

pict20.jpg pict11.jpg pict18.jpg pict17.jpg pict16.jpg pict14.jpg pict13.jpg
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update....

Ahhhhhh....the ole camel toe look on the sandals, your rockin it!!
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah @T3/T4 Hybrid! Crooked River is awesome; as is Prineville reservoir. Glad you guys were able to find a spot to camp; last summer was pretty crazy on the camping front - usage has been steadily growing the last ~20 years, but it literally exploded this past summer with covid and the lock downs. There's a lake I used to hike into back in '03 and '04 that maybe had one or two other people camping tops. I took my boys up this past summer - got the last dispersed "spot"; disappointing to say the least (but still fun to show them what backpacking is all about).

Anyway, looks like you guys scored a great spot right along the river and had a great ride getting there. I always enjoy camping next to a river or creek; there's nothing like the sound of running water as a source of white noise for sleeping.

As to adding a drone to your gear; it's a double edge sword - they do capture killer footage and stills, but they're infuriating at the same time :lol2. Can't tell you how many times I rode away from the stupid thing only to look down a mile-ish later and realize it lost tracking me. Good thing they don't have mics as lots and lots of expletives flying in 90+ degree temps to stop and fly the stupid thing to me to try again. But yeah - getting shots like that stallion charging me or the wide-screen landscape riding through wide open desert is pretty cool.

Crap, I miss riding...lol.
    enduro16, dano619 and T3/T4 Hybrid like this.
  16. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful rr and thanks for your time and effort to share your journey!
    T3/T4 Hybrid likes this.
  17. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:

I have never heard it called that! It made me laughed pretty hard!
  18. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thursday, July 9th 2020

With the sounds of the river along with the cooler temperature we all slept well last night. Once the campsite was broke down and we had all of the items packed away on our motors it was time to say goodbye to JW. He had been on the road a few weeks longer than us. JW had driven a truck with his DR in the bed from San Diego CA to Virginia Beach VA and started his TAT trip from there after selling the truck to a friend. JW still had a long ride to go down the West Coast so laying over a few more days wasn't for him which we understood. I'm really glad to have met JW in New Mexico and that he was able to ride the Western Sections with us. As I have said before having friends on this trip is really nice to have.

After leaving the campsite we stopped at the Prineville Reservoir for a few pictures because with the sun rising over the water along with the mountains in the background we couldn't pass up the polaroid moment.

Pict.jpg Pict1.jpg

We continued down RT-27 to HWY-20 then made a South Western turn into the Deschutes National Forest along with the Newberry National Volcanic Monument area. The roads were of all different types (blue chip gravel, white soft dirt, white sand, red volcanic rock and red hard dirt). With all of the different types of roads we really had to keep our guard up and not get complacent. This was the place where I had my first issue out of the XR. While going up a hill I noticed that it was losing power and the first thought was something serious. After stopping to diagnose the problem I found that one of the small bolts holding the throttle tube to the handlebar had vibrated off. The other bolt was very loose so it was allowing the tube to rotate without pulling the throttle cables. I took the remaining bolt off and used loctite on the threads to make sure it didn't come loose again. I looked through all of my spare bolts which I kept in an old toothbrush travel case but none would fit. I would later in the day find a replacement 5mm bolt at a NAPA while passing through the city of La Pine OR for 27 cents. A very expensive repair LOL. We then continued on to the East Lake Resort where we stopped for a few drinks and some lunch. While sitting next to the lake at a picnic table a Bald Eagle flew over us. Watching it turn and fly over the lake was very majestic. I couldn't get my phone up in time for a picture before it flew out of sight.

Pict3.jpg Pict4.jpg Pict10.jpg Pict9.jpg pict16.jpg Pict14.jpg Pict6.jpg Pict8.jpg
    enduro16, mathdl, RacingBlue and 12 others like this.
  19. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Continuing

We continued traveling mostly westward on the TAT until we intersected with HWY-138. There we made a left turn southward towards our stopping/camping spot for the next two days which was going to be Diamond Lake. The entrance office/registration rangers were very helpful. They provided us with a map for the open camp sites. Then told us to check out the sites and to pick which one was going to be the best for us. Once our camping site was setup we went to the resort lodge area to check it out. It had a full service restaurant so dinner that evening was the fish and chips! The resort had a full stocked general store so firewood along with a few adult beverages were purchased to enjoy back at the campsite. Being a fan of the TV show Longmire, I noticed that they sold Rainer Beer so that was going to be my choice of beverage. It isn't sold on the East Coast.

With the sun setting and a fire to enjoy our beverages by the day had a perfect ending. One warning!! The mesquites and no-see-ums were out in full force.

Pict11.jpg Pict12.jpg pict21.jpg pict19.jpg Pict13.jpg
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah @T3/T4 Hybrid, great update man! Really cool you got to see Paulina Lake and East Lake; those are a couple of gems in the high desert. I did a 4-day camp and ride just south from Newberry last October - place called China Hat was base camp and it's a great launching point for day rides and longer adventures.

And Diamond Lake is great, have camped there a few times and couldn't agree more about the mosquitoes; damn brutal there. Lots of great stuff to see around the area, cool that you guys took a couple days to hang there.

Rainier beer is about the perfect trail beer; some of that and a good bottle of whisky to sip around the fire is nirvana for me.

Look forward to seeing where you guys explored or went while based at Diamond Lake, or maybe you just kicked back and enjoyed the sensation of not riding...lol.
    T3/T4 Hybrid likes this.