2020 (Std) Africa Twin vs. 2021 Ténéré 700

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mcmann, Mar 1, 2020.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    For riders that prefer Asian Adventure bikes.
    It is nice to have two very nice bikes to choose from.

It has been speculated, that Adventure Style bikes are (on the average) ridden 90% on pavement vs 10% off pavement. Even if the actual number is closer to 80/20 . . . how do you decide what is most important to you?

My decision is to buy a T7 and keep my current AT. I’m retired with plenty of garage space.

I plan on riding the T7 more as a comfortable dual sport type bike. At 450 lbs (plus accessories), it will definitely be a handful in the tight stuff.

Thumpers wear me out traveling to off-road riding areas. I would rather be comfortable and slow down over the rough stuff.

This thread is more about rider’s decision process when considering the std AT vs the T7.

The cruise control/tubeless Adventure Sport model may be a better comparison for the S10.

Let’s hear viewpoints from perspective AT/T7 Adventure buyers? Since we have approximately 3-4 more months to wait on the T7.

EDED860E-1B14-4A0D-BD2E-74A6B1E56D65.jpeg

tonyubsdell likes this.
  2. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In essence its the same bike? Look at the silhouette even. Looks like Twins, excuse the pun.......
  3. mcmann

Oddometer:
    0629266E-5817-496E-B5C1-B00703EF4AA1.jpeg
    EB19798B-9206-41B7-A08B-8C2FE7E5586A.jpeg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  4. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I'm even more convinced
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    My intention was to hang on to my AT for the long haul, but I definitely was interested in following the roll out and user experience of the t7. I was curious about myself, whether I'd be tempted and pulled off the AT for another... I gotta throw the 790 in here too.

I just haven't been lured enough. I'm in a financial and spacial situation where I'm better off having the one bike and I need the long haul road manners that the AT possesses. I think it'll have to be a very special bike to yank me off my AT. If I was shopping now, I'd be having a difficult time to make a decision..... probably leaning towards the t7.

For the next few years, I plan on riding the hell out of the AT and watching closely which direction the industry goes. When it comes time to replace, I'm extremely curious what the offerings will be, along with my aging body and interests.
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    T7 can hussle off rd with the right tyres...saw one out today in the woods...
  7. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There are numerous facts that indicate otherwise, but don't let that stop you ;-)
  8. Husky360C

Oddometer:
    I've ridden an Africa Twin. It is poorly suspended, and it is heavy, and its engine has all the character of a vacuum cleaner. That's my firm opinion. I do not care if you agree with me or not. But you are not going to change my mind on this. I've been riding for over 50 years and I have owned and ridden enough bikes that I am capable of discerning when a bike is a great bike and when a bike is merely an acceptable "appliance". I put the new version of the Africa Twin in the "acceptable appliance" category.
    Now, if you cannot tell the Africa Twin is a mediocre bike you might be happy with it, in the same way BMW GS owners are happy with the pigs they ride. But if you want the best bike your money can buy, I'd wait for the Yamaha, full stop.

I know people in Europe who are skilled riders and they know the difference between an "ok" motorcycle and a great motorcycle, and they have ridden the Yamaha and they told me the Yamaha is a great bike. They compared the Yamaha to the KTM twins, which whether you like KTMs or not, are the gold standard of capability for bikes that can be used on and off road. I own enough bikes already but I am considering buying the Yamaha because I know it will get the job done and it will be more reliable than some of the bikes I already own. I value performance but it's good to have at least one rock solid reliable bike in the stable, and that would be the Yamaha 700, which has one of the most reliable engines made.
  9. Husky360C

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha is a better bike as it is delivered than the new Africa Twin is. Honda since Soichiro Honda died has been given to playing it safe, and great machines are not created when the core philosophy is "playing it safe".

I really wanted to like the Africa Twin. But riding it back to back with my KTM 950 Super Enduro, the Africa Twin was a serious disappointment. ( cue the outrage from Africa Twin owners who have their egos wrapped up in the bike they own ).
    rauchman and ScorpionT16 like this.
  10. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Madman Mick may have a different view:

The SE is not an Adventure bike), it lacks wind protection, fuel capacity, brakes (single disc front), and luggage ability.
  11. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mean the silhouette, and the application, 700's just lighter by a small margin
  12. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha fan here and releasing the T7 without tubeless is ridiculous. Releasing the old AT with fork problems the same as KTM with 1x90 airbox design defects. Hard to get excited about any of them.
  13. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Well get interested in the 1290 s.a.r then...

2 years, two European tours with the mrs, 6500 miles of proper off rd, No issues here, I ride with the lads on there 450s

I've had no issues all ktm updates are done

20200112_133507.jpg IMAG0069_1.jpg Screenshot_20191218-222842_Gmail.jpg 20190811_132853.jpg IMAG0606.jpg
  14. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    It gets ridden plenty hard enough off rd, lol..

You keep the charming, you need it more than me, ..., as Ive picked it up several times, it's never a issue
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
  16. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTMs are a great but the first line of the O/P is " For riders that prefer Asian Adventure Bike."
    rauchman, redolga and mcmann like this.
  17. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Only the Africa Twin has a DCT transmission. Thrice i've cheated certain injury, or possibly death, by being a bike where I didn't have to spare the mental bandwidth to clutch/ downshift, etc while performing an emergency maneuver. Idiots cut me off and i braked hard, engaging ABS on both front and rear tires, and each time I steered to the side of the offending vehicle beyond it's rear bumper, in complete confidence.

I also ride +95% on road. It's a very versatile commuter tourer for me.
    rauchman, JeffPM and Propfrwrd like this.
  18. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More so applies to my dad who is a Hardcore oldschool Honda fan, having owned 20+ bikes since the 70's... All Hondas.

We just placed an order for the T7, own a CB500X now. My dad was keen on getting the Africa Twin, having seen them in person, side by side. Oddly, my he has chosen the new V-Strom over either, its style, build, feel, and looks swayed him. The new AT is over $21k+ CDN, not even including taxes, etc... I had an SV650 and it had character, the T7s CP2 motor has character, the Honda... It an appliance, like riding a washing machine.
  19. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Especially so down low. I was very thankful for it on my ride yesterday. There's was a ton of mud, snow, and ice. I appreciate it's characteristics in terrain like that, balancing traction and momentum and fine control.
  20. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    "I don't normally post in threads like this" -Lewilewi

When the AT came out it seemed like the reality check on the Japanese unicorn we were all waiting for. And as a realist, I bit and bought one. The T7 and 790 have since made a splash. I am happy I still have my AT because it seems like the best Japanese two-up ADV ever made for my kind of riding - 50/50 with minimal 75+MPH highway and a focus on forest roads and jeep trails, so plentiful in Colorado.

Because I don't see a middleweight doing better two-up, I will keep my AT. But I do want a middleweight or smaller as a solo ADV bike to bridge the gap between my AT and WR250R, perhaps even sell my 250R although with supermoto rims it is one cheap versatile anvil of a bike. I could get a 500 EXC or 701, but also interested in waiting for the Norden 901 or a 500 twin from any mfg.

To me the T7 and 790 aren't different enough from my AT to justify the cost. At least the Norden is GORGEOUS - a huge improvement aesthetically over the angry praying mantis 790. The T7 is also a beautiful bike, those headlights! :raabia But again, none of these will be better than my AT at two-up 50/50 riding.