2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. ontheroad68

ontheroad68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rumors and spy shots came out a few months ago, this one showing bolt-on passenger pegs (finally!) and possibly a smaller fuel tank. Rumor is this bike will be a 900cc, whady'all think? triumph-tiger-spy.jpg
    andyrock likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides the obvious, larger engine and less fuel?
    I think if they reversed that equation they’d be on a better track.

P.S.
    Triumph, if your reading, we’d like a 300mi range option.
    andyrock and ferals5 like this.
  3. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few thoughts..........

Spoked front wheel, cast rear; why not. Are we looking at 21" front and 17" rear?

Is there a beak on this Tiger? Will there be engine guards? How about a center stand [even for the low version] that a mere mortal can use?

Front turn signals relocated so they don't bust off; good. How about the rear turn signals.

Useless rear deck, useless hand guards.

Not certain what is next to the radiator; not certain about what is sitting where the tank is.

How about the weight of this Tiger? Is it up, or down?
  4. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering the 200 some updates they say they made to the 2018s I doubt they would come out with a new motor 2 years later.
    andyrock likes this.
  5. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my wishlist, I'll say it looks like they got a lot right on the new Scrambler XE for some of these things.

1. Relocate the turn signals.
    2. 675 to 765 cc with a much taller 6th gear. 250ish+ mile range.
    3. Put a smaller front sprocket on the XC vs. the XR.
    4. Ditch the big headlights for a light weight LED assembly.
    5. Bulk up the strength of the side stand so it's strong enough to pivot turn the bike (I'm affraid to try it on mine) and make the foot bigger.
    6. Make the center stand easier to get the bike on.
    7. Sub 420lb dry weight.
    8. Foldable shift and brake levers
    9. Get rid of the brake line crossing the front wheel to make a high fender kit easy.
    10. Tubeless rear, but not the cross spoke where the rim sits outside the tire sidewall (more the Alpina style). I'm fine with a tubed front on a 21" XC.
    11. Litium battery stock and preferably relocated up higher forward of the tank.
    12. Make the air filter accessable without pulling the fairings and moving the tank by moving it forward and having a cover.
    13. With the battery and airbox forward and higher put the tank lower, narrower, and further back to get that weight lower.
    14. Install a steering stabilizer post bracket on the ignition mount from the factory so adding a stabilizer is a quick bolt on kit (i.e., no drilling out the ignition bolts).
    15. Make the coolant overflow tank more clear so I can actually see the level (just me?).
    16. And yes no welded on passenger pegs.
    17. Add an econo mode to stretch fuel range if needed. Wonder if you could do active cylinder management on a tripple like some car/truck engines do.

Or just build the Tiger Tramontana that they raced a while back. That thing looked cool!
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does look to me like very early prototype for next generation. Frame looks different from current Tiger, separate subframe etc. That explains different wheels, headlight and small tank, because at first manufacturer must focus on frame and suspension geometry. Lights and tanks are just bolt on items and they use parts from current stock bikes. Design will be confirmed at later stage. Similarly looking KTM 790 Adventure pictures were on the web 2015/16.
    My bet is this bike will be on market 2022.
    Renegade3 and Kerrizor like this.
  7. ontheroad68

ontheroad68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    900cc is fine, but if it's an ounce heavier they can stick it. The 790 is 415 lbs. dry and comes with a wide-ratio gear box and tube-less wheels from the factory. KTM just upped the bar for middle-weights, hopefully that presses the other OEM's to improve their bikes as well.

I'm happy with the power/weight/fuel economy of my 2016 800 XC. Ok, a bit lighter would be nice.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  8. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "spy" shots are of a mule. They're testing something. Could be frame or engine but bits like the mismatched wheels are there because triumph know the bike will be photographed during development, so nothing like seeing a little confusion.
    andyrock, Kerrizor and Florida Lime like this.
  9. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Me personally, I think Triumph should be heading the other direction if they're coming out with new bikes, 500-700cc, in the ADV market. They have the heavy side covered fairly well with the new Scrambler 1200 out, and the Tiger 1200. Unless they're trying to drop one in the middle of the 800 and the 1200, but most ADV folks who go off road seem to want something smaller than an 800. Maybe corporate Triumph is waiting to see what the Yamaha T7 and KTM 790 do over here in the states, who knows?
    Kerrizor likes this.
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just goes to show how difficult it is to produce a bike for the market.

I'd also rather have a 900 by upping the bore and getting a little top end back. The 800 is a wonderfully useful engine, but they really took away the awesome top end hit an wail of the street triple it was derived from.

Since they dont have a sport touring bike anymore...th XRx is one of their better bikes for the purpose. That's what I used mine for. Sure it's nice that I can run forest service roads pretty easily too, but mainly I want to run the twisties.

I would like to see them upgrade the suspension and brakes. Maybe come out with an XRR version that has adjustable suspension and radial brakes.
  11. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Tramontana inspired ?!? I like it :clap

3FA9B3F3-D07E-4079-BE1F-56798F40E0AC.png
    andyrock likes this.
  13. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    img155012-1565121138-v580x435.jpg
  14. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would rather see a Tiger 600 or Cub 400.
    Bugchewer and AloneInTheHills like this.
  15. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly, would love to see the love-child of a DRZ400 and a Tiger 800, with around a 600cc EFI twin and a wide ratio 6 speed. I think people are either putting up with viby singles to stay light/ fully off road capable or are putting up with heavier large displacement they don't always need. Just don't revive the "cub" name.
    brgsprint likes this.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I wouldn't hold my breath on those smaller bikes if I were you, guys. That's not the way the market is going.

And if someone does build a 600 twin proper dual sport bike, it'll likely be one of the small niche companies, not Triumph.

I think the 1000cc rumors are a lot more likely to be true. A Tiger 1000 would directly compete with the Africa Twin and KTM 1090 Adventure R. And with the big ADV bikes going up to 1250 and 1300, let's face it, 1000cc is midsized these days...

--mark
    andyrock likes this.
  17. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the rumor mill was 2022.

This prototype does not look anywhere near ready for 2020.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except that puts the little Tiger too close to the TEX.
  19. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Not if the big Tiger is due for a bump up to 1300cc...

--mark
    andyrock likes this.