2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...

Some high fives, head scratching, and some sighs from my perspective.
    A gruntier motor - Nice!
    Reduced weight - Nice!
    Removable pegs and replaceable subframe - Nice!
    The outboard spokes for tubeless wheels (agree with poster above) - Sigh
    More separation between the street and off-road versions via suspension differences. Ok... makes sense sort of?
    Showa suspension for the "Rally" versions and no compression damping adjustment on the rear for either. - Really Triumph? Sigh.

Seems like the non-rally models are now even more just another street bike and the Rally models look to have some flaws for serious off-road work. I wonder if I could shoe horn the new motor into my '13 800XC frame? :)
  2. llamacide

llamacide Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll keep my 16' XCA - I still have fun with it and can't see what the 2020 offers that REALLY would be that much better than the Tiger I already have....
    sbeadg and AwDang like this.
  3. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the headlight is a huge disappointment for me and not to happy that the rallypro was what appears to be a cheaper level of suspension then my xca. the suspension on my xca and the xcx i had before it were the main reason i bought the tigers. i like good headlights at night my vstrom 650 had great lights and my tigers had really good lights. this 1 light lowbeam is pure crap
    Kawidad and llamacide like this.
  4. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The technical updates all sound great, but for me, the styling has lost some of the character thar draws me to the Tiger. At first look, I thought the red one was the Honda 500...lol (small screen and I'm blind) I'll keep my '14 XC for now . :smile6

Edit: So I went back and looked at the pics,
    ...I guess I just like big bug eyes..lol
    llamacide and DennyMyBoy like this.
  5. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS rider

Oddometer:
    I like the radiator exhaust style compared to the previous model. Looks cleaner and not as bulky. Not sure about the low beam headlight on only one side, why!?!
  6. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a few good upgrades, removable subframe(less likely to be totaled) radial monoblock calipers(no more sliding pins), tubeless wheels on the XC. The capacity increase is meh, I rather like the bigger headlights on the older ones. Overall it looks to be nice, but styling is closer to its competitors which makes it blend in to the offerings. For the cost I'll probably stick with my 2013 XC.
    abramsgunner likes this.
  7. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be keeping my '11 800 for the foreseeable future. 900 does nothing for me, emotionally or otherwise.
    AwDang and Rich B like this.
  8. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making each headlight specific (low beam or high beam) allows manufacturers to optimize light pattern for purpose. Honda AT low beam was not bad at all and it also has only 1 light for low beam. I would not discount new headlight design before riding new bike at night.
    Chillis and dceggert like this.
  9. tangerine

tangerine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like this bike a lot and the specs are much much better than the specs at this Bavarian competitor called F 850 GS.

I would decide for the Rally without Pro (5 kg less), but I wish it had 21/18 like the Africa Twin, 790 Adventure R and Ténéré 700.
  10. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The transmission ratios is my question too.
    I would think if they did anything it would have been noted in the key features.

I don't know why this seems to be the toughest thing for Manufacturers to change.
    There are several bikes that just need a wider gearbox to be great and they never change them.
    danketchpel likes this.
  11. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked for the ratios to, but they did make a shorter 1st and taller 5th a couple of years ago. That would be a big improvement from my 2015.
  12. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m really liking the new styling! When it comes to headlights- I like the ‘14 lights but the ‘19 lights were ugly, so this is an upgrade.
    abramsgunner likes this.
  13. Highliner

Highliner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is good news whats the best used 800 tiger to look for:)
    AwDang likes this.
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    The weight difference is mostly due to the Rally Pro having a centerstand, crashbars and those aux lights. Most people would install crashbars and a centersatnd, so the real weight difference is minimal.

Gustavo
    eltel62 likes this.
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    This was a common complaint about the Africa Twin when it came out too, but the answer is simple: LED headlights, which are most effective when given differently-shaped reflectors for high- and low-beam, hence separate headlights.

That said, I do much prefer the look of the 800's twin halogen headlights. But at this point halogen headlights are obsolete. I expect the Tiger 900's single LED low-beam will cast at least as much light as my 800's twin halogens. Probably more.

--mark
    Vegas800XC likes this.
  16. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    I do... damnit i'm gonna be 18K shorter come spring next year.

Tubeless wheels, TPMS, TFT (hopefully more reliable than KTM's iteration), quickshift, bigger tank, Brembo brakes. Lack of a dealer within 30 minutes sucks now though..
    llamacide likes this.
  17. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like some nice upgrades. I don't think I'll be moving from my 2014 Roadie though. For some reason the graphics really bother me, especially on the red bike. I think it reminds me of the cars from the late 70s where performance was way down to emissions compliance so they would throw graphics packages on to try to dress them up.
  18. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it will vibrate less than the current 800, which vibrates pretty badly on the right handlebar for some reason.
  19. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    1 litre bigger of a tank - that's a 5% increase in volume BUT the 900 consumes 10% more fuel than the 800.
  20. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    I saw that browsing another forum about the new bike :photog Oh well