1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    MY old Scrambler 900 came with stock Bridgestone Battlewings - holy crap, scariest tyre I've ever come across. Truly awful. Swapped them out for Tourances really quickly :)

Speaking of the old Scrambler, I had Ricor Intiminators on that thing and I thought they were fantastic, although I'm not one for bombing around off-road. They only work with springs though. I thought / assumed that the RP had some fancy cartidge fork set-up? If it's just a good, old-fashioned set of springs, then giving the Intiminators (dumbest name ever?) a go would certainly be cheaper than trading the bike :)
  2. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't have a bounce when I bought my 15 800 xrx but after 3000 miles I was ready to sell the bike because I hated the suspension. First bike in my life I ever needed to change the suspension but after Traxxion Dynamics installed AK20 fork cartridges and a penske shock it turned into the best suspension I ever owned . I've been enjoying the bike for 5 years now . The only problem is that every bike I test ride can't compare to my suspension now. I want a new GS but any mode I put the suspension in is not as good as mine.
    Speedtrap likes this.
  3. imzolo

imzolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Cruz

So far so good. A little better than expected after 2800 miles. Front is fine. Both front and back wearing very evenly. Back not as squared off as most of my TKC80s are by now, but I've been riding dirt A LOT this Summer on the RP. Blocks are all wearing well despite the rocks. Nice square leading edges.

I'm used to getting only a season and a half out of my TKC80 rears. This one looks like it's going to go two for whatever reason.

Still adore this tire after riding it nearly a decade on my dual-sport and ADV bikes.

Zolo
    Cruz likes this.
  4. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tomintoul, You are exactly correct. The Intiminators and Emulators are not for cartridge type forks like the RP has. So, I have learned a bit more about forks, but a long way to go! Someone else on here pointed this out also that these are not going to work on this bike. Back to the drawing board we go. Thank you for pointing out my error!!!!
  5. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark, thanks for pointing out that these valves are a no go on the Rally Pro forks!
    Tonight I checked the preload and it was identical on both forks, that is, all the way loose, to left. I turned them right 2 full turns each, rode, turned them 2 more turns, rode, etc. until I have tightened up the preload about 8 turns. I could tell no difference in the ride, still bouncy over minor imperfections in smooth looking pavement. I did run them back to "zero", or full left. I also experimented with more changes in the compression damping and rebound. I can't tell that the damping settings make any difference whatsoever, let alone stop the bounce!! I put those both back at 8 clicks back from full tight.
    I think your suggestion to have a suspension shop look this over is a great idea. Thanks!
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I testrode RP900 last week and experienced this bounce in some occasions. In my understanding it is caused by fork stickage. In this case you need better fork seals to make it move more freely. No compression or rebound adjustment will help, because issue is, that fork is not moving at all.
    Xchemie likes this.
  7. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That does sound like what my RP is doing.
    Can't wait to find a suspension shop and have them look it over!!!
  8. Oldjack

Oldjack n00b

Oddometer:
    Traded my trusty 2016 V Strom 650 on a new Tiger 900 Rally. Reason; I convinced myself I needed longer suspension travel and a 21" front wheel. I mainly use a bike for longer multi day trips camping out, preferably riding dirt roads in Australian outback. I used to own a KTM 950, DR 650 and a 2012 Tiger 800. The KTM 950 was a great bike for this and fun to ride. The DR 650 was a reliable functional tool but on long sealed sections was a chore. The 2012 Tiger 800 I never really liked. It felt top heavy, I couldn't handle it in sand and deep bull dust and in fact had a big off in sand with the bike somersaulting over me and a couple of years for my leg to recover. (I blamed the bike, not my lack of ability).

Anyway, I have fallen for the hype on the new Tiger 900 Rally, bought one two weeks ago and have just over 1,000 klms on the clock.
    It cost me $490 in repairs in the first two days of ownership when I forgot to remove my disc lock from the front wheel. The wheel only rotated less than half a turn, bending the front disc. The dealers were good enough to remove a front disc from a new Triumph Scrambler, (same part as the Tiger 900) they had waiting for other parts, and got my 900 operational again.

I have just had the first 1,000 klm service. When I rode home I noticed the self cancelling indicators were in manual mode. Got home and went into Bike Setup on TFT screen only to find the Indicators setting was gone.

IMG_0709.JPG

Took the bike back to dealers on a Saturday morning, but the young mechanic was unable to find a solution. Will return it next week when the Triumph tech is there.

Since owning this Triumph Tiger 900 Rally I have fitted Rox Risers 2". At 178 cm (5' 10") I find I am no longer reaching for the bars and in a more comfortable position. I have put 2" risers on most of my past bikes. Maybe I have short arms. Fitted Hepco Becker side racks, now waiting on Hepco Becker tank and engine bars.
    Unlike my previouse 2012 Tiger this bike feels well balanced, not top heavy and a real pleasure to ride. I find the seat comfortable on all day ride and I have not noticed any annoying engine vibration (it's less than the V Strom 650). It's just out of run phase so I haven't riden above 6000 rpm for extented times. I don't expect vibration to be noticable or annoying in future. No front end bounce as reported from a number of owners in the US (tires fitted are Bridgestone Battlax Adventure)
    Happy with my purchase so far, looking foreward to fitting Motoz Adventure tyres and getting out on the dirt roads.
    Xchemie, MrMac, Blakduk and 1 other person like this.
  9. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Great post. Interesting. My 900 will arrive within 3-4 weeks. Will you tyre shop with Rob Turton?
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    What tyres are on your Rally Pro Bucky?
  11. TooFastJose

TooFastJose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This what I said long time ago. But I´m not sure if it is for the hidraulics not working enough or as I said for the fork seals friction. In my case just lubricating the fork bars with a drop of oil I can notice how the fork works much better on this kind of small low spped bumps
  12. TooFastJose

TooFastJose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree.
  13. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My RP also was lacking any mention of self canceling turn signals. At the 600 mile service, the dealer simply reflashed the software and the turn signals showed up in setup and have worked great ever since!!!
  14. Oldjack

Oldjack n00b

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the local dealer will get this sorted soon. It seems to be a problem with the software. A salesman at this dealership said he noticed their demo 900 Rally Pro had no Indicator Setup option either.
  15. Oldjack

Oldjack n00b

Oddometer:
    Possibly. I bought a set of Motoz GPS from him for the V Strom. Got 22,000 klms out of them and they still had some life in them, but got too hard and lost grip, especially on wet roundabouts here on the Sunny Coast. I guess that’s the option with long life tyres, can’t have it both ways.
    Hope you get your new Tiger 900 as quoted. I think I got their last 900 Rally available and that was because an order was cancelled. They told me it would possibly be December or January next year if I wanted the Rally Pro.
    I was very appreciative of them for raiding a Scrambler for the brake disc for me as I was told 5-8 weeks for parts.
    Cruz likes this.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't be fitting the GPS to the Tiger?
  17. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Warning. Caution, warning.
    Me pretty stoopid......
    Discovered that my RP had front preload set to zero. So, I assume most bikes are a 'blank slate' when delivered, waiting for preload especially, to be set for riders weight.
    Both damping settings were at 8 clicks back from full tight. That was pretty close, but preload was waaay off for my 220 lbs. On front had to crank preload at least 10 full turns to get 3" sag. It was over 4" sag when started.
    Hoping this might lessen the bunny hop, will find out this afternoon...
    There are great videos on utube that explain the settings. Dave moon seemed really good.
    Thnx to those who have suggested on this forum to work on settings!
    Cruz likes this.
  18. Oldjack

Oldjack n00b

Oddometer:
    Going to try the Motoz Adventures this time, however can’t beat the Motoz GPS for long life.
    offtheback likes this.
  19. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correction..... David moss suspension, utube
  20. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG. Reply to my own comment? I must be nutz.....
    So, I got the sag to approx 3", front and back, compression damping and rebound damping, front, at what seemed about right. Then, worked on damping screw under rear shock. It was at about 1.5 from factory, turned it in to about .75 to adjust for increased preload for my lard ash.
    Went for a ride. Was quite impressed how improved it all seemed. However, the "bunny hop" was still there. Maybe I am just wrapped too tight, but it seems to me that this bike is hoppy hoppy hoppy. But the ride was much improved and now I am trying to fool myself that the "hop" is a necessary side effect of an otherwise really well put together bike.
    If no one has solved the "hop" in 8 years, other than some folks who had success with new tires, why would I think it is even possible to lessen the hop down to a tolerable level?
    I think others who say the hop is just something they accept, may be the smart ones in all this. After all, it is an imperfect world with not much perfection in it!!!
    Cruz likes this.