1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Texasten, replaced my worn front Tourance today with a GT823 KH tubeless front and the little hop that I had left has completely gone now. Don't know how a knobby type ADV tyre can run smoother than a Tourance, but it does. Runs smoother than the TKC80s I have been running past 5 years on my Honda.
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Do you guys happen to know if the wheel hop issue affects the GT bikes?
  3. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER Life is too short to not ride...

Oddometer:

One of the things I did early on was check and set my suspension settings discussed on page 52 of this thread post #1038. Settings that were worked out by a professional rally rider.

Glad to hear your problem is somewhat better.
  4. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Lookie what the postman just dropped off :D

140E0733-7FE4-4924-9CC3-29C1B92F7915.jpeg
    10Fold, PerGrus, Xchemie and 2 others like this.
  5. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    I did a very short comparison of idle sound, from the OEM to slip-on. Same camera phone, same spot in the garage, etc.

Also for those wondering where I got it---Cascade Moto Classics in Oregon posted about it so I called them up. It sounded like they had a few in stock..
  6. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is awesome! The new Dunlop Mission tires I put on made no difference. Am going to experiment some more........
  7. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reference to the suspension setting post!
  8. Airrick

Airrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm taking the bike on an overnight camping trip Wednesday and Thursday. I know it's going to hop the whole way, but I'll still enjoy the trip. New tires are going to be the next thing I try.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, interesting. It's going to take you quite awhile to wear that front Mission out too. ;)
  10. Ljislink

Ljislink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering the 900 & going to test ride a a Rally dealer doesn't have a RP. From what I can tell on Triumph web site is the Rally & Rally Pro are exact same bike except, quick shift, 2 added ride modes & range topping tech with some type of app for your phone ? Looks like all the upgrades can be added to the rally except the 2 extra riding modes, anybody here riding the Rally & miss those 2 modes ?
    Thanks
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Keep in mind that the front end bounce "no one has solved in 8 years" has been an issue with three different front end setups (nonadjustable Showa forks with tube-type spoked wheel, adjustable WP forks with tube-type spoked wheel, fully adjustable Showa forks with tubeless spoked wheel) -- actually more when you consider that some of the roadies had this issue as well -- plus it affects quite a few bikes from other manufacturers. Nobody can seem to quite put their finger on what causes it.

So yes, at some point you have to look at the bike as a whole and decide whether it's good enough overall to overcome the annoyance of this one flaw. And then just live with it.

That said... did you put the Dunlops on yourself, or have a shop mount them? Were they spin balanced or static balanced? First thing I would try would be to pull both wheels off the bike and carefully static balance them -- yes, including the rear, because if it's out of balance, it can show itself in the forks. (For what it's worth, you don't need to have any special setup -- I static balance my wheels by putting the axle through the wheel and on a pair of jack stands.)

--mark
    PerGrus likes this.
  12. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    What other manufacturers had the front end bounce ?
  13. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I had a little front end bounce on my 2016 Africa Twin. I've heard of people having it on KTMs, Yamahas, and more.

--mark
  14. Xchemie

Xchemie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a GT Pro and no front wheel hop. My bike is smooth as butter when riding and the Marzocchi suspension seems good to me.
  15. namaste722

namaste722 BuddhistBiker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some KTM 790 Adventure owners report a similar issue.
  16. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here (GT Pro)
    Xchemie likes this.
  17. TooFastJose

TooFastJose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had it in a KTM 690 enduro
  18. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get a Pro in my preferred colour when I rode one - and fell in love with it! - even though the dealer was discounting them by a grand for some strange reason (probably worried about what Covid was going to do to sales), so I hunted around for a base Rally. In sunny Queensland, didn't really need the heated seats anyway and not extreme off road to need the extra modes either. Wasn't too impressed with the standard bashplate and engine bars and figured the aftermarket engine protection guys would be on the ball - wrong... Have been waiting ages for a bashplate - hopefully arriving in 2 weeks from SW Motech - and picked up some H&B engine bars so gradually working towards getting on the dirt! In the meantime, doing blacktop on the shitty standard tyres, and haven't even got out of Road mode. And loving it, it's a classy package!
    Ljislink likes this.
  19. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought a rally today and you can add everything you want to make it a Pro. I was told there is no way to a Pro anywhere until middle of next year, I am in NA. Except for the two additional ride modes where the Off road pro totally disabled abs. Hopefully someone will come up with a dongle or workaround to fully disable the ABS. I haven’t ridden it off-road so I really can’t speak to how limited the ABS is in the mode yet. I have seen sites say the Rally doesn’t have TPMS but mine did when they went through the bike with me today.

I added the quick shift and Bluetooth modules with the hopes of getting some aftermarket protection for the bike soon. Once you add the Bluetooth module you have the same connectivity and control via the app as the pro.

Does anyone know if there is an open aux port for the aux lights and can any aftermarket lights be used with the handlebar switch? I didn’t get a chance to speak to the service tech but will tomorrow to get and answer also.

Welcome ‘Colonel’, why did they spec road tires on an ADV bike!?

IMG_4476.JPG
    MrMac, Xchemie, Ljislink and 2 others like this.
  20. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect one of the reasons for using street tires is drive-by noise limits in homologation. Street rubber makes obviously much less noise.