1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. Botrunner

Botrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I had my Missions put on and balanced properly the hop disappears by about 80-90 percent.
  2. Airrick

Airrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bikes guys!

Regarding the hop...I got my front wheel off the ground this morning and spun it. My brakes are rubbing in one spot as the wheel spins. Could this be the cause of the hop? Or is it indicative of an out of round rim?
  3. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 70kmh front wheel does around 10 rotations per second. Front wheel hop has much lower frequency, maybe 1-2 bounces per second. Therefore it’s not very likely that out of round rim can cause this.
  4. TooFastJose

TooFastJose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tired of telling that is the asfalt imperfections with the modern wide bars fork that have a lot of friction , so basically the fork does not work until getting bumbs fast and strong enough
  5. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER Life is too short to not ride...

Oddometer:
    This thread needs some pictures.....

Did a little "informal" Border Patrol duty this last weekend.

BP_switchbacks.png 2.jpg 3.jpg
    1.jpg
    TMORAN, Texasten, nateonator and 4 others like this.
  6. DCOURTS1984

DCOURTS1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious to hear everyones thoughts on going with RP vs GT Pro....?
  7. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I mounted the front tire and static balanced it on a Pearl Harbor Freight balancer. I have pretty much eliminated balance as the cause of hop. I put 6 weights on rear wheel randomly in one spot, rode bike. Made no difference at all. It had to be way out of balance I would think! The rear Mission tire was mounted and spin balanced by Triumph dealer...... I need to try the intentional out of balance on front wheel maybe.....
    I tend to agree with your comments to just live with it, or move on. So far, Imma living with it!
  8. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wheels say it all. Smaller front and cast wheels will beat you up off road. Think super mortard vs enduro of the same bike.
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.
  9. RideandDrive

RideandDrive Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Oldjack

Oldjack n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the Rally (non Pro).
    With the Rally you can fit your choice of after market engine protection. there are a number of different brands. I have fitted the genuine Triumph centre stand as its not original fit on the Rally only. I couldn’t see any point in paying extra for features I wouldn’t use.
    offtheback and Ljislink like this.
  11. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

Oddometer:
    It's the "road" the BP uses to patrol the border....south of Otay Mountain. Turns out, technically, I wasn't allowed to be there. The weird thing is, I passed 8-10 BP trucks on my way thru and they all waved "hello" at me.....but one finally stopped me and said I wasn't supposed to be back there. I apologized because I truly did not know. There is a sign ( I went back and looked) that says "authorized vehicles only". The BP agent told me that it happens all the time because the sign is so small. I was too busy gawking at the view overlooking Mexico....blew right past the sign.

I had seen pictures of group rides thru there on a local message board and thought it was okay. Perhaps there are times where they do allow access.

I got buzzed by the BP helicopter a number of times too. It was all a very cool experience. Though, my 80/20 stocker tires were absolutely horrible in sections. It's very loose gravel on hard pack (like marbles). The grades/switchbacks are gnarly for tires that lack real grip.

bp.JPG bp2.JPG
    MrMac likes this.
  12. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Uh oh! Now you are "in the system."
  13. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

Oddometer:
    I wondered why there is a black van parked out on the street in front of my house. lol

I ended up chatting with two BP agents....both of them were very cool with me. I thanked them for the job they are doing.
  14. DCOURTS1984

DCOURTS1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    prospective 900 buyer reading this entire forum and still trying to figure out if I'm riding street 80% of the time, am I a complete idiot for going with Rally Pro vs GT Pro. Gut tells me GT Pro and RP im just being persuaded by looks.
  15. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But for that 20%, longer suspension, and wire wheels are sure nice. Not really sure you giving up that much with the RP on road compared to the GT.
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.
  16. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are riding 80/20 street, just good tyres will get you most places you might want to go off the blacktop.

The other consideration is your inseam. I'm 5'11" on the old numbers, and my Rally is tallish. Those GT's look mighty comfy for mostly road.
    Xchemie and DCOURTS1984 like this.
  17. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I would prefer the smaller front wheel of the GT on road.

That and inseam issues have me desiring the GT.
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    No. The Rally Pro is spectacular on the road too, and it'll be substantially better for that 20% offroad.

--mark
    DCOURTS1984 and 23103a like this.
  19. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

Oddometer:

I'm 5'9".... I have no trouble reaching the ground and am nearly flat foot....but i've put the seat in the "low" position. The only place I have difficulty is slow/technical areas, I wish I had a little more "outrigger" to my stems. lol ....but I'm not doing a lot of slow/technical.

Agreed....I can't believe how this bike rips through the twisties....
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.
  20. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

Interesting to read about the handling of the bike in twisties. Have you tried the GT in the twisties?
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.