1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. imzolo

imzolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're really planning to ride 20% of the time off road, Rally or Rally Pro hands down. The GT will surely disappoint you off the tarmac. And let's be honest, the GT isn't sprung for that at all.

My first "ADV" bike was a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S. This was before Ducati made the Enduro models. I told myself the same thing; I'd only be riding it off road a little bit here and there. That bike, just like the GT, was made for the pavement. In my attempts to take it off road I was straight-up miserable. And to be honest, it was super dangerous.

Just my opinion based on my own experiences, but if you think you'll ever take that GT off road you'll be so sorry you didn't go with at least the Rally.

Zolo
    DCOURTS1984 likes this.
  2. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've road a 2012 800 Roadie on Gravel, fire roads, and shitty mountain passes without issue. Set of K60 scouts on and I kept up with a KLR, had to work my ass off to do it but I did. Blew my first set of fork seals taking jumps on a motocross track with it on an offroad riding course.
  3. imzolo

imzolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha. Between working your ass off to keep up with a KLR and blowing your seals, I think you're making my point for me, hawkbox!

Hats off. I'm sure that was a ton of work to ride in those conditions.

Zolo
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    This has me thinking: at his point, I do not see me doing anything more difficult than occasional poorly groomed gravel road.

I am looking for a lighter, smaller bike than my Super Tenere. I like the ST because of the plush but decent handling suspension, long range, large luggage capacity and cruise control. I am happy to ride slow. I have long liked big dual sports for these reasons.

That is why I was thinking the GT.

With this in mind, do any of you think the on-road (with occasional gravel) characteristics of the Rally are actually better than the GT?
    Xchemie and DCOURTS1984 like this.
  5. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a GT Pro. Rode the RP and GT back to back before buying.
    The GT is significantly better handling on road. I’m a 90/10 rider, and only unpaved roads and occasional two track. For me, the GT does everything I want.
    If you are planning to ride OFF ROAD then the RP is the way to go.
    Xchemie and imzolo like this.
  6. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't grow up riding a dirt bike and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I had 60k km on the bike when I blew the fork seal so I'm not that worried about it.
    imzolo likes this.
  7. Airrick

Airrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few more pics for the thread...My girlfriend and i had a great ride thru the coronado trail the last couple of days. The bike still hopped but otherwise ran flawless for the 600 mile trip. That's such a beautiful area.

D616C274-4867-4F99-AC5A-FDAD5C6B6E19.jpeg 37D0E85B-A556-42EF-BDB0-1FCF5FD8663D.jpeg 9D2AF49F-28A7-486C-A7A2-DE01B2E74A4B.jpeg B17B7592-23E0-4C5E-81B6-7FF0F3A74951.jpeg C94C2E2C-FBEF-4643-AE52-62A76FB0D5DC.jpeg 9AE739CD-7A7C-4AE8-BC02-489D65A10CAE.jpeg D616C274-4867-4F99-AC5A-FDAD5C6B6E19.jpeg
    becsta, travisn000, 6.5x47L and 9 others like this.
  8. DCOURTS1984

DCOURTS1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great points....thanks Zolo
  9. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    What @zolo he said. Once I bought a Versys 650 thinking it would do the occasional good dirt road with the right tyres. Nope! Sold in a year. Miserable, yes.
    imzolo likes this.
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    How are the paved roads that you typically ride? If they're anything like the ones around where I live -- in appalling condition, with lots of cracks and potholes -- the Rally will be the more pleasant bike to ride on road too. The 21" front wheel eats up the rough pavement so much better (and the more offroad-focused suspension helps too).

As for gravel, I have ridden bikes with both 19" and 21" front wheels on gravel roads, and the 21" ones are invariably far better. They track straighter and feel stabler. I've got friends who agree -- in fact, two of them got rid of their Tiger 800 roadies and switched to XCs, and both of them were much happier (and for what it's worth, these are both guys who love aggressively attacking paved twisties).

As far as I'm concerned, the GT is an upright sport touring bike. If you ride off pavement at all, you're better off with the Rally -- it won't hold you back on pavement, but it'll handle the dirt much better on those occasions you do venture off paved roads. That's not to say the GT won't work off pavement -- even a Harley will -- but rather that you're giving up less riding the Rally on pavement than you are riding the GT off.

--mark
    DCOURTS1984 and imzolo like this.
  11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    ^^^The gravel roads around me are getting paved over more and more. I need to get to Pennsylvania, West Virginia and beyond to find them.

So, I need a bike that goes well on superslab. Something that will do 5-600 and more mile days without issue. Usually, it seems that once I get that far, I tend to stay on paved roads anyway.

So, I am thinking as I spend that much time on paved roads, an upright sport touring bike is probably better for the amount of time I have to ride. Hence, my interest in the GT,

Also, as I tend to ride alone, I am reluctant to travel into knarly stuff on my Super Tenere. (My 28” inseam is also an issue.)

All this input is reinforcing my thinking that a Triumph 900 will be my next bike. I just need to sort out my needs and let a test ride or two make up my mind.

Anyway, with Covid, my income is way down and I am not ready to buy anything at this point. In the past, I have researched bike for a couple of years while waiting for a decent used one to show up. That is what I will probably do in the next couple of years.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    6.5x47L and Xchemie like this.
  13. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    That was very interesting. Unusual these days to get a quality review. Summary was the Tiger a clear winner on tougher off road, the Honda a clear winner on the roadway. A win to the Honda overall as an “enduro travel” bike.
  14. TooFastJose

TooFastJose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeahhh. Because the feeling of conquer the world.
    WTF!
    The Tiger is also better on the road, come on compare the factory equipment.
  15. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Spoken like a true believer.
    Tomintoul likes this.
  16. Ljislink

Ljislink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was real surprised on there take about the Tiger motor saying it's "flat, no bang" especially compared to an AT. Not a Triumph 900 owner yet but should be soon (my Tenere is for sale) I test rode a KTM 790S & 1290 SAS didn't like either one, haven't ridden the 900 yet But I ride my wife's 2012 Tiger once in while and really really like the motor ? I just swapped out the 16T front for a 17T and it did change the character a bit but the wife likes the change. I've heard the 900 & 800 motors are very different but didn't think "flat" would be in the review. Hopefully my bike sells soon & I'll be test riding a Tiger & see "flat" feels like.
  17. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    As I said before, I test rode a Tiger after many others over months, and just ordered a RP then and there. (I won't ride my mate's 790, just in case it's better....!)
  18. namaste722

namaste722 BuddhistBiker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 790S and a Tiger 900 GT. The KTM is more raw in character and the Triumph more refined. If I wanted more abruptness from the Tiger I would use the sport MAP but I prefer not to.
    Blakduk likes this.
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Nice 900 Rally!
    Screenshot_2020-10-05-21-03-03-25.jpg [​IMG]
    DCOURTS1984, hawkbox and MrMac like this.
  20. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can see in Cruz's stunning pics, I have been putting a few k's on my base Rally in Blakduck's backyard... :wings
    But I need to get a centrestand. Just wondered if anyone else with a base Rally has fitted an aftermarket stand and/or whether Rally Pro owners are happy with the performance of their fitted as standard unit?
    Cheers, Scott