1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Tiger 900?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ontheroad68, May 23, 2019.

1. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER Life is too short to not ride...

Oddometer:
    Anyone have wheel removal torque specs for the 900 yet?

Specifically.

Front axle ?
    Front axle pinch bolts ?
    Front Brembo caliper bolts ?

Rear axle is 81 ft - 110 Nm
    Rear Brembo caliper bolts - I'm not even sure what is holding this caliper on, I see one nut on the inside behind a rubber grommet.
  2. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:

My 2018 Tiger was ok for a bit, but I ran from Jackson, WY to Hayden, CO and it was a long day, of course the wind made it that much worse. The 900 RP is superior in every way so far.
    jb likes this.
  3. n3nman

n3nman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had my new to me 2020 Tiger 900 rally delivered. Love it so far. Wish i had a service manual for it. I really prefer to all my own wrenching.

Attached Files:

4. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 2020 T9RP two months ago, now with + 2,000 miles, dropping my 2 cents into the brew. All on the road so far (Mitas E07's in the garage ready for spring).

Confirming that the RP feels very planted on blacktop, though it took me a few hundred miles to get used to the front falling into turns at low speed. Professional reviewers and inmates on this thread said the 21 inch front worked well & gave up little performance on the road vs the GT; they were right, not that I am a knee dragger (but traded a Kawa Versys LT1000 - so a material difference would be noticeable, even to me). Like others only notice a slight buzz into the footpegs (inserts removed) at +4,000 rpm ~ 65mph highway, but 'feeling' the bike is a pleasant change after the Kawasaki.

Getting ~52mpg - finding the display average MPG to be very accurate. However, the speedo reads +3-5 mph high relative to GPS readings, which is more than the other bikes I have owned. (My first nitpick).

Easily paired Android phone to the display. Used the Bluetooth turn by turn a couple of times, worked fine and would use it for point to point nav absent a GPS.

Shift assist - use it when I remember it - smooth up and down the gear box. Particular like it when I need/want to shift in a turn.

I scoffed at the heated seat.....but have come to enjoy the benefit of toasty nuts and buns on a cold day! The heated grip button, located on the grip itself, is a bit fiddly in winter gloves, but manageable.

Bike has stalled out on me three times, clutch in, shifting down while rolling to a stop, ~250 miles, ~610 miles (on the way home from the first service) and ~1,050 miles. Each time the engine was at temp, air temp was ~32F. At first service tech indicated that they had observed the same recently on a speed triple and it resolved after the first service. Now I have added a further 1,000 miles since the last stall out, including being out at similar air temps, it seems the tech was right (happily). Second nit - which would not be a nit if it reoccurs.

I would rate build quality as excellent - though the seat on the tall setting is not snug on the front rail, moves a little. I have added a little neoprene foam to the rail to keep it snug. The under seat USB charger was not functioning at delivery - I took a look and found the factory had not connected the leads. The wire from the USB was still tucked in the stow clips under the tray. No big deal but the third nitpick I also adjusted the clutch to get a little more play, it was a little tight at delivery and found the friction zone was right at the end of release making slow speed control more difficult than it needed to be (I have the lever set at 4, the easiest reach setting). After adjustment it is within the 2-3 mm spec for play and am much happier with clutch control.

Adds so far - SW Motech 20mm bar risers. Easy install, brake line, electrics and clutch cable all good. Voltmeter (as I use a heated gear and like to see the charging system handling it OK - voltage has proven to be very stable even under heated gear). Put a screen protector on the TFT in anticipation that off road dust and grit will scratch the surface during cleaning. Added Kriega neoprene fork protectors. Have fenda extender and wider pegs ready to put on.

Installed Touratech racks to take the Zega Pro's I had from a prior R12GS. Fitted fine but the bolts (or more likely the locking nuts) provided by TT are crap. My advice is don't use them - I had to cut one off. I think the metal locking ring on the nut failed mid-thread - this is the 4th time I have installed TT racks, never had a problem before with the thread lock pretreated bolts. Also with the bulky US indicators the LHS fouls when removing the lid, so it cannot be pivoted easily on the hinge. See picture. I now release both lid latches and put the lid on the seat to access the contents (and use the RHS for stuff I need on the go).

Am I enjoying the bike? Totally. The motor is just a delight, performance is sweet, all the grunt I need. The protection from that itsy bitsy screen is amazing. I thought I would be adding a lip...but it is not needed (I'm 5' 11"). Highway speeds very comfortable with a ton in reserve to get past other vehicles - twist and go...sweet. I would buy this baby again, no question.

T2
    DSC_1232.JPG P1030658.JPG DSC_1186.JPG DSC_1250.JPG View attachment 2775989 View attachment 2775989 View attachment 2775989 View attachment 2775993
  5. n3nman

n3nman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if you can use the Power outlet near the seat for heated gear (not sure what the max rating is), or should I just run a plug direct from the battery like i have done in the past. Thanks.
  6. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just run mine off the battery. No fuss, no muss, and I can plug my trickle charger into the same line.

Mine today in the hollows of middle Tennessee today.

PXL_20210124_191905852.jpg
    SCPancho likes this.
  7. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I've done 1,250 in a day on my 800XRt. Back from Reserve, NM to Iowa. Stock seat. Set the cruise and go. I find it no less highway worthy that a GS....UP to 75mph. Above that, my Tiger gets poor economy (~40mpg, maybe 43) and starts burning a little oil. I've ridden water cooled GS plenty.
    jb likes this.
  8. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the Zumo XT on the 900? Read of interference problems between both screens causing the Zumo one to freak out and not work, elsewhere...?:dirtdog
  9. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    My original Kriega OS system (with 2 x US12 side bags) does not fit over the Tiger 900, which has too wide rear seat. I'm waiting to see if my mate's OS system for the 790 will fit on my bike, there's also a T7 OS system, but don't know anyone buying one to try it. I suspect the T7 one would be narrower????
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Contact Tori in the Oz Vendors section or on her website and she may be able to tell you what will fit your bike. She offered to send me 2 different Kriega bags last week to see which one fit the best and then I send the other back down to her.
    https://torimoto.com.au/
    The OS mount for the 1290 may fit.
    Screenshot_2021-01-25-22-28-58-48.jpg
    Blakduk likes this.
  11. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been running a Zumo XT on mine for about 10K miles, and no issues. Currently mounted on the bars just below, and in front of the screen.
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes - I ran 90W heated jacket + heated gloves from it no problem - but it just means the need to carry another cable along (and to lose or forget :doh) ..so like Helimark I ran a connector straight to the battery. The direct connection is omni-present and provides the battery tender point.

The rear point can then be used by a pillion with heated gear.

T2
    Blakduk likes this.
  13. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Cruz @ToriMish
    ToriMish likes this.
  14. fwbulldog

fwbulldog Adventurer

Oddometer:

"Refit the wheel spindle from the right hand side and tighten to 65 N
    Maintaining the above position, tighten the fork pinch bolts to 22 Nm."
  15. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding to my recent post (#1924) - also purchased the Dealertool from the UK. Very easy transaction, the connector arrived quickly and set up and use was easy. Throttle bodies were slightly out of synch according to dealer tool - at ~700 miles LOL - so I wanted to make the adjustment but before that ..

the dealertool link exists in numerous forums but for the owners new to Triumph (like me) here it is https://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/

What was more difficult to find was the factory service manual. I wrench what I can and like to have a paper copy to guide my inexpert skills. As recent Triumph owners might know paper copies are no longer sold to knucklehead tinkerers like me - something I was aware of at time of purchase (I avoid buying copyright breaker downloads - but none showed up anyway). However, I was advised that an online subcription resource would become available. It took quite a bit of tracking down so to grease your wheels here is the story as I understand it (and happy to be corrected on any of this).

Well, if you live outside the USA the online resource is already available...

https://www.tritun.net/tritun/user/loginForm?back=https://www.tritun.net/tritun/vehicle/lookupForm

...but if like me you are a US resident while registration is possible subsequent login is met with 'Unavailable in your country'. Huh? ...as it turns out....

...back in 2016 or so Triumph used a UK company to establish electronic manuals (to meet EU regulations I believe, so documentation at delearships is always current). That company was then purchased by Snap-On tools an American based enterprise. However, the acquired company still operates as a standalone subsidiary of Snap-On and their documentation, which I read on my second registration (more on that in a mo), has disclaimers etc based on the UK courts & litigation..and that of course won't fly if you are a registered US user living in the good 'ol land of the free and lawyer TORTured. It seems likely that since the UK company operates as a standalone subsidiary of the US enterprise the US lawyering cabal have blocked us - 'cos we could sue their nuts off for failing to use proper torques given there aren't several pages of disclaimers warning about 'Use proper torques and appropriate wrenches calibrated by Fred to NST laboratory standards on a peridoic basis, and only by Fred on a Friday afternoon, after he has visited the local titty bar for lunch and downed a few brewskies'.:csmNeed basic information like the FlyingBurritoBrother (love that tag BTW) inmate? Stuffed....off to the dealer you go unless the dealer has compassion and gives you the specs. Or you know someone or know someone who knows someone.....

However, I remain a subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and registered using my (continuing) UK credentials... and email info etc that I didn't burn with my doomed US residency attempt, and there it all is, full manuals for all MY 2020 900's for £6 per hour, £30 per day (or more for a week/mopnth/year) inclusive of VAT whoooo hooo or bugger I hear you say! This is broadly the cost of the US pricing if you register, before you get slapped in the face with the 'Unavailable..." thingy. Also, my last manual purchase for the 2016 Kawasaki was $90 - so OK, I can live with that fee especially as the (UK) terms and conditions allow 'Reasonable downloading and printing of sections of the manual' - so that is an avenue for me (and I retain a UK plastic card to make payment, might a US $ charged card be blocked?) AND obviously don't use your VIN to register (one of the registration options). Just need to think about what sections I want, buy a day ticket, buy a case of beer and be prepared for a long day in front of a screen.

This is not a good answer for US folks, perhaps other 900 owners in the US have a better resource than I.

Hell, it took me a while to find a parts 'fiche' that is less than great, but beggars can't be yada yada ..

https://www.bike-parts-triumph.com/triumph-motorcycle/Tiger/900/tiger-900-rally-pro/125

Will the US lawyers get off their hands in Snap-On and figure out a mirror site we can enter through to grant access? ....maybe if we sign away all rights, of course every page of the document will be filled with idiot stickers....just like the bikes and recent paper manuals from other manufacturers ...but at least with paper you don't have to check boxes to say you have read the idiot sticker, though on occasions I have been known to do 'idyut thangs' even after reading them.

I still like and would buy the T9RP again...but man, Triumph US, please remove some of the barriers to wrenching knuckleheads like me....and I'm the lucky one right now (or so I believe - if my UK card is rejected or downloads stopped due to internet tracking of where the document is heading I will update this forum).

T2
  16. CDBiker220

CDBiker220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I would post this here for anyone interested in more power from the 900 if it wasn't already discussed. Guy in the video below has a series explaining the ECU map updates required (use youtube translation for english)

Basically the Tiger 900 throttle butterfly valve only opens to 80% past 7500 rpm (upper right of chart) to keep the total power at 95hp (for European regulations). This was obvious if you look at the stock dyno chart. Free app and a couple of dollar cable you can change this. I already had this stuff to update the tune on my Tiger 800 and will likely remove this limiter from my 900 in the near future.
    The guy in the video above said he did dyno vs stock and will release the video soon (per the Tiger 900 facebook page). He said greater than 10hp increase but was intentionally vague. I'm guessing between 105-110hp at engine or around 95rwhp (I think stock is around 85rwhp).
    Tiger 1.JPG Tiger 2.JPG
  17. fwbulldog

fwbulldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a consensus on upper crash bars yet? I've searched, and read, and re-searched, and re-read. Stock crash bars look prone to bending the tank (which is bad). But as far as I can tell, none of the aftermarket bars provide much protection (as they are attached with very little mechanical leverage. Looks to me like they'll just bend and take out the radiator.

So, other than never dropping the bike, what's the next best option?
  18. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't say I'm keen on what they're charging to access the service manual.

upload_2021-1-25_15-39-41.png
  19. fwbulldog

fwbulldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as the service manual, in 2 hours you can download the PDFs of the entire thing. So for $15 could have everything. Not sure where you could get the service manual for any modern machine for $15. Yes, it's a little bit of work to click, save as, rinse/rather/repeat. But it's all there.
    Xchemie and FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER like this.
  20. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I wonder how many sales Triumph loses to the Tracer GT over this stupidity? I've seen so many comments on how flat the Tiger feels vs the Tracer. I just don't get while non-Euro market bikes aren't unrestricted.
    Xchemie likes this.