2020 Unexpected ID-UT-NV Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MasterMarine, Nov 30, 2020.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it has been a while since I posted a ride report.

I kind of lost interest after a few years and then I did not have the time to go on a big camping loop as I became more involved the last few years in the Stumpjumpers Desert 100. Recently I have been reading other reports on here and it has inspired me to share again.

So here we go...

2020 has been a mess. Together with my fellow Stumpjumpers, I have been involved in hosting the Stumpjumpers Desert 100. Over the last few years, I have been more involved in putting on the event. In 2020, my responsibilities grew even more as I became the Race Chairman. Then C-19 came along and uprooted it all. Obviously we had to cancel the event. This was very difficult from a variety of directions. During the spring, my whole life was in disarray. I was working from home. My wife was working from home. Our son was going to school at home. Our young daughter was growing quickly. We all were trying to figure out how to get thru the uncertainty and isolation and frustration. At some point, I realized that I had some extra PTO which I didn't use at the D100. I thought, why not go for a ride...
    Ginger Beard, Fast1, Humunn and 3 others like this.
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started looking at maps and started thinking about where my favorite places were on past trips. I thought about roads I had seen out of the window from the interstate. Of mountains and passes. I started to formulate a plan. I decided to do something a little harder than what I had put together in the past. More single track.

Then I thought about how I needed a small crew with experience to get thru the difficulty. In the past, I had shied away from single track for the most part as it carried a lot of unknowns for a bike carrying a lot of gas and camping gear far from support. I called up 3 guys who had been thru it before and who I knew would have what it takes to get thru whatever came along. I also knew their machines would be in tip top shape and they were not going to be carrying a bunch of extra stuff.

They all said they were in pretty quickly. So I got to work on a route. We were going to ride from Jackpot, NV into Idaho all the way across I-15 and then into Utah before returning to NV and finally back to Jackpot. The final route was about 1140 miles. It had a bunch of single track and lots of ATV trails. We would be crossing many mountain passes including some of my old favorites.

The riders were @KarmaSect, @bikenut350, and @ugo1st. All of us had downsized our bikes and kits over the years and we were riding a variety of KTMs. Two 500, 1 450 and 1 530.

Time for some teaser pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    In!
  4. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 0

July 2, 2020

Just to make things interesting and to give us an extra day of riding, I had decided to have us ride over the July 4th holiday. We were going to drive down on July 2, start riding on July 3, return to Jackpot on July 11 and head for home on July 12.

We got up early and all made our way to Jackpot, NV from our homes around the Puget Sound. On our way down, Mark and I caught up to Scott and Bill. At first I thought maybe it wasn’t them because one of them had a tiny little rear tire on their bike. But soon I figured out it was. Generally, we run a big meaty desert tire for these rides. I was surprised to see Scott had decided to roll with a trials tire.

[​IMG]

We convinced him to stop in Twin Falls and pick up something with more meat. He got some steel belted Sedona tire. Here him and Bill are getting it swapped on. I think he started out with 25 psi in it and ended up just running it with nothing because it was so dam hard. I heard (many times) that it had no grip and was all over the place. I knew he would come to grips with it at some point. :amazon

[​IMG]

Perhaps the trials tire would have made it. Who knows…
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Your work at the D100 does not go unnoticed. Thanks!
  6. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 1

July 3, 2020
    145 miles

[​IMG]

The night before we started, some gnarly thunderstorms rolled thru and moistened up the trails for us.

[​IMG]

Before I get to far along in this story, I want to answer a few questions that will probably come up. First, I will not be sharing the gpx tracks by posting them online for this ride. I will share info if you want to communicate with me directly about where we went. I do not feel it is a good idea to just post up tracks. I think it is important that you plan your rides and don’t just follow tracks. I went over this before in other ride reports. Second, this is not a big bike friendly route. At several points on our journey, our bikes were too big and I wished I had been on my trials bike. Third, I brought a chair. And a tent. And a stove. The ADV Fundamentalist mentality weighed heavily on my mind as I packed the night before but I chose comfort. I was happy I did.

We started out in Jackpot and headed east. It was not long before we were in ID. The roads were looking good as we made our way east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a section of ridgeline coming up that I was excited to check out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What an awesome way to start out the trip!!

I was a little worried about the decent back down at the south end. It wasn’t so bad.

[​IMG]

I hit some trailside debris and tore loose the lower strap on the right side of my bag. This is the second time I have done this, and it was pretty annoying. Luckily, I had some stuff to get it reconnected to my bike. I still had a lot of miles to ride in the next week!

[​IMG]

Big views!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a bit of an asskicker. It was a long steep grade on singletrack. The grass was very deep and there were plenty of rocks hidden on the trail. I wiped out here and my leg was stuck under the bike. I could not even see around me because the grass was so high. Can you see the trail??

[​IMG]

Around and around we went on a combo of single track, ATV trails, and gravel roads until we were atop Pike Mt.

[​IMG]

From there we looped around until we made our way down to Oakley, ID where we filled up with gas and snacks before taking a break at our favorite park. We topped off our water and headed east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We climbed the relentless grade and camped out on top of the hill overlooking Oakley and way off in the distance, Twin Falls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a fantastic day!!!
  7. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! All of us Stumpjumpers put a lot of work into it. And it is a lot of fun. I can't wait to get over there and do it again.
    Dessert Storm and thirsty 1 like this.
  8. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you enjoy. It was a great ride. Pretty damn hard at times!
    yokesman and cidi like this.
  9. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Report so far. Thank you for posting it.
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In
  11. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am hoping the other guys will stop in with some of their thoughts on the first day soon.

I hope you enjoy!
  12. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may have noticed the pink ribbons on my bike. I had about 10 of them tied onto wooden clothespins. They were used to mark gates that needed to be closed. As I was leading, if I found a gate that was closed, I would clip a pink ribbon onto the latch of the gate and open it. Then I would head off down the route. The last rider would stop after going thru the gate, close it and grab the clothespin with the ribbon. When we stopped for a view or something, they would give me back the clothespins. If the gate was open, I would just ride thru and not mark it in any way.

We have been using this technique for a while now and it works great. At the beginning of the trip the ribbons are pretty long but after 1000 miles on the bike they get a little shorter.

Here is one I opened.

[​IMG]
  13. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    THAT is a great idea for when a group of riders get spread out on a day long ride. I always worry that someone will make the wrong decision when coming to an open gate if I don't wait. Inadvertently closing a gate that is supposed to be open can be worse than leaving one open that should be closed. Thanks!
    Chillis likes this.
  14. ugo1st

ugo1st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think it was 1st day riding the ridgeline's. Trying to get used to 6 gal and 40 lb of gear again.

Attached Files:

Chillis likes this.
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone is about to loose their tent poles... Or was that another day?? :photog
    Chillis likes this.
  16. ugo1st

ugo1st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pink ribbons also ended up being used for demerits. Tip overs (gas station Mike), losing tent poles ( me), bike prep fails, etc etc. Those got tied on the bikes ...

Attached Files:

17. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along. I noticed someone has TheTentLab Moonlight 2. Great tent!!
    MasterMarine likes this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah! Haven’t made it past the first post, but I I’m very much looking forward to this @MasterMarine.
    Catastrophic Failure likes this.
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2
    July 4, 2020
    Independence Day!!

I was excited to get started today. I knew we had some challenging single track ahead. In the past we had run the Skyline Trail but this year we were running even more of it. We were going all the way over to the summit of Mt. Harrison. Plus we were starting the day right next to Mt. Independence. What a place to be on July 4th!

We started out getting lost trying to find the trail. For those of you who try to find it, go to the tire cattle trough and the trail heads north from there. After a bit it comes to a sweet double waterfall water crossing. This year there was less water than we ran into before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere along this section of trail, some tent poles were lost. We stopped to wait for Scott and Bill as they backtracked to pick up the missing gear.

[​IMG]

While Mark and I were chilling, he noticed I had done a bit of damage to my new front wheel the day before.

[​IMG]

Once they arrived, we continued on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was cruising along enjoying the view as we rode along along yet another ridgeline. Suddenly I was on the ground. I must have hit into one of the big rocks in the grass which sent me sailing.

[​IMG]

Here I am telling Bill how I just went for a dive. It was legit. I even had some grass stuck in my helmet! Off in the distance you can see the high point we were headed for.

[​IMG]

The trail ahead to the top of the mountain.

[​IMG]

Getting closer...

[​IMG]

This shot is from the last of the hard part making the climb. From here the trail disappeared. I spent a lot of time looking around trying to find the trail but never did find it so we followed the line I had plotted right up to the top of the mountain.

[​IMG]

From there we rode down a paved road past the ski area and down to the highway. We did a little loop that took us up to some communications sites and took some pictures.

Looking back at Mount Harrison and Mt. Independence.

[​IMG]

From there we headed over to Malta for gas, ice cream and water. We were very lucky to make it was just closing. They were so good to stay open a few minutes later. We went in and cleaned out their ice cream, water and Gatorade sections. The we sat outside in the shade and chowed down.

Next we headed east across I-84 and started looking for a place to call it a day near Sublett Reservoir.

We found a spot in Sublett Campground. It turned out to be pretty awesome with the creek running thru. We washed our gear in the creek and chilled in the shade. It was nice to have a camp spot with a table. We were afraid things were going to get crazy with July 4th activities that night but it was all good.

[​IMG]

69.9 mostly tough and hot miles today! Doesn't seem like much but that trail mileage was not easy.

[​IMG]
  20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try it out. It works great.

Good eye. I have had it for a couple years to replace my old Eureka!. This was my first time using it on a big trip. I was pretty happy to find the directions the first night because I had not assembled it for a while. That guy thought of everything. They are printed on Tyvek so they are indestructible. The eye pole setup was confusing me. After that night, I did not need to look again. The tent worked great.

Glad you found it. It was from reading thru your reports and some others that I was inspired to share again. The sting of the forum back end changing years ago and breaking old ride reports had kind of taken the allure away. I still can't believe they have it set up so I can't attach videos hosted on SmugMug very easily. WTF??
    Ginger Beard and Blaise W like this.