2020 Unexpected ID-UT-NV Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MasterMarine, Nov 30, 2020.

1. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What is the 90 degree fitting used on the acerbis cap? I have been looking for a similar solution, in order to stop smashing the hose when there is a bag on it.
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @Humunn. Good to see you following along. Talk to me when you get into planning for more details. Much of this trip was based on a previous ride we did in 2015 that we never did a Ride Report on. That one was more reasonable as a dual sport route without all the challenging singletrack. Between what I learned in 2015 and 2020, I have some good hybrid route ideas.

There were no more troubles with his clutch after the repair in Snowville. Thanks for following along @docwyte

I have figured out that often the easiest way to keep the trip flowing is for me to just keep pushing ahead when the rider behind me catches up at the intersection. If we get together and have a debate, most of the time the other guys do not have anywhere near the knowledge of the area that I do from the time I spent creating the route. Often times they don't even know where we are. I spend many many hours putting the route together so I have followed out just about every option on every map and Google Earth plus possibly have talked with local FS or BLM officials, local ranchers or maybe even local riders. In this instance, I knew when I initially missed the turn and was going back to find the intersection that it was a single track trail and that it wasn't very long to the other side. We weren't in over our heads and it wasn't stupid dangerous so i kept leading on. Also it was early in the day and we all have a much better attitude in the morning. The decision to keep moving also had to do with that I know the group dynamic as we have many thousands of miles on these trips plus lots of other rides on trail bikes in stupid places. Often the best parts of the trip are the sections where we are running near redline emotion wise. In order to overcome, you must have a challenge.

All that said, there are times where I do stop and we do reach a consensus decision on how to proceed. This has happened many times in the past. We skipped a ride over Diamond Peak in 2014 that still bothers me. There was another section we skipped near between Austin and Lovelock in 2014 too. We skipped a bunch of stuff in our 2016 Utah loop that I spent many hours on and would love to see from my bike. There are more examples coming up in this 2020 ride where the plan changed too.

There was no water running. I don't remember any water crossings in there. It was more of a heavily wooded smaller valley. It was a little wet closer to the beginning of the trail. The cows had been thru there so the leaves were off the trees below about shoulder height but above that it was dicey in the more dense areas. Where the trail went up that hill, the trees were a little more sparse.

I have found myself reading more Ride Reports lately as I have been at home too. I kind of got frustrated with Advrider after a change to the forum a few years ago broke a bunch of stuff. I am still having a bit of trouble with that bad attitude. I went from being an occasional contributor to more of a consumer. It helps to know that other folks are enjoying the report as it is quite a bit of work to make one. We will see how I am feeling after this one as I do have a couple more that I could put together if I am feeling inspired.

Don't know. Maybe @KarmaSect will stop in and share. You could try sending him a Private Message. Thanks for following along @dentedvw.
    dammitdave and Ladybug like this.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I'm actually reading your 2012 RR right now. Been out Jarbidge way few times. Thinking about a big OR-NV loop maybe CA too out of Central O going further south into NV. Missed Soldier Meadows and the crash site a few years ago - would like to see that. I'll send you a PM.

I'm looking outside at snow and gray skies. Love the sunny dry summer moto pics. A life saver!
    MasterMarine likes this.
  4. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I've gone from a contributor to a consumer also. I feel a little guilty about that. Every ride I have great intentions to share the wide wonder of moto adventuring but then, almost immediately on return, I am swallowed by reality until ADV reports like yours stoke the flame and I move through the excitement/planning/execution cycle once again.
    MasterMarine likes this.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I hope you feel inspired to add more reports. It's going to be a loooooooong winter and I would love to see more.

So many people were disappointed with the broken links from the change of the forum and the Photobucket did it's thing and many people were using it to host their pics. there were so many incredible report writers that no longer post reports for the same reason.

I'm really enjoying this, thank you for doing it.
    Ginger Beard, dano619, MacG and 2 others like this.
  6. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wasn't just the forum issues that slowed me down. I am also a little frustrated with how the internet (including my contributions to it) blows up remote, unknown places into tourist attractions. Look at what happened with the "monolith" in the Utah desert. The guys who tore it down did so because of the intense visitation that had already started since its discovery.

There are other examples of this which I have experienced. These include Horseshoe Bend located just south of Page, AZ. When I arrived in Page to work at Lake Powell in the spring of 1995, I asked all the locals who I met about neat stuff to see in the desert. I found out about lots of cool spots. One of them was Horseshoe Bend. Very few of the millions who visited Lake Powell every summer even knew that viewpoint existed. To get there, you headed south from Page on the highway. At a specific mile marker (I can't remember what it was now and it doesn't much matter today), there was a sandy 2 track trail that led off the highway and over a rise. The sandy 2 track continued to a trampled down parking area. From there you just walked further to the west until you came to the rim of the canyon and the view of Horseshoe Bend. Over the years, Horseshoe Bend was used as a stock photo for the grandeur of the desert and subsequently more and more people wanted to know where it was. Another thing that probably led to the popularity of Horseshoe Bend was that it was outside of the area you had to pay to visit at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (or Lake Powell as most know it). So if you were just driving thru, it was not too hard to go to and didn't cost you any money either. Anyway more people visited. More pictures were on Facebook. More people visited. More social media posts. The vicious cycle continued. Recently the NPS and the City of Page installed a roundabout in the state highway where that 2 track used to head off into the desert. They built a fee booth, parking lot, road, ADA restrooms, trails, and a RAIL along the rim so people won't fall off. Now tour busses stop there. There are so many visitors it is difficult to be by yourself like I was just about any time I was there.

So sometimes I might not share a cool spot or high point. But it is still out there for you to find it. And luckily the best part of these adventures are the experiences including the ones that come from overcoming adversity and those belong to the participants. We can try to share them but the only way you know for yourself what these experiences are truly like is to get lost or break down or get stuck on a hill and then get thru it yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. LMSB

LMSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying you RR. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. I have ridden in some of the same areas and really like it out there. Great riding is everywhere.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've also become reluctant to divulge locations, even though that's where I get many of my travel ideas. Places like Muley Point and even good roads I've found. Everywhere is getting crowded.
    chorizo likes this.
  9. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hey MM,

That pink ribbon on the gates is brilliant! :thumb
    Have you been marking the loop at your son's trials events?
    Just asking because that's how we mark our saturday loops (sunday gets blue ribbon).
    I've tied a lot of pink/blue ribbon onto clothespins :lol3

After looking at the desert all week, it's refreshing to see so much green.
    You guys sound hot, though! July riding = :knary

Thanks for sharing the pics with all of us!
    LW
  10. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics, great narrative, excellent ride report! It’s too bad that we need to be careful what we share about our trips, the exposure of interesting places can destroy them.
    You have a lot of work in this report, thank you!
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    True. We've lost some great secret single track due to knuckle head social media over sharers.

That's where the memories are created. Back in my early tour guiding days I would say "it's all part of the adventure" so many times we printed the quote on t shirts. Now my moto-group mostly expects it (with some trepidation). No one ever remembers the trip to the mall!
    Ginger Beard and MasterMarine like this.
  12. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    @MasterMarine thank you for writing and sharing this report. It is very much appreciated. I know 1st hand how much time it takes to develop a multi day route for your group, including the considerations for the group’s abilities and various levels of ambition.
    I also agree that the route creators know so much more about the terrain and location, bailouts, etc. than the rest of the group, therefore “moving on” without a discussion with the rest of the group is sometimes a good way of keeping the ride going ( like you said- with certain limitations).

Again, thanks for posting the report, looking forward to more!
    Stay safe!
  13. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    July 7, 2020

We all did our best to wash up our funky gear in the motel last night after getting Mark's clutch operational again.

In our original plan, I had a route that went in a loop from Snowville down to Promontory Point and then explored around above the north end of the Great Salt Lake. With the slow progress we had been making on the route and our proximity to the Raft River Range (one of my favorite areas to ride), we decided to skip that loop and press onward on the overall big loop. This was the second time we had decided to bail on the Golden Spike Route. We had been down here on another ride years before and it was so hot we skipped the same loop then too. Maybe someday...

We walked across the street for breakfast in the am. We loaded up our bikes and headed off.

Unfortunately the start of the day was a mess. We ran into Private Property immediately outside of town and spent quite a bit of time wandering around trying to figure out a way around it. There were lots of gates and confusion as we weaseled our way around trying to get to the public lands. Looking at the maps now, it would be best to head north out of Snowville back into Idaho and then west.

Eventually we found our way to where we were allowed to be and hit some stupid fast 2 track roads. We ducked under I-84 in a giant concrete culvert just south of the Juniper Rest Area and blasted our way west.

There is something very satisfying about crossing a heavily trafficked interstate on a 1000+ mile self supported adventure on a dirt bike with turn signals. I hope some kid who was in a trance staring out of the window of the family truckster minivan zooming along the interstate at 85 mph saw our 4 dust trails coming across the desert as we blew across their civilized route on our way to more adventure. Perhaps they will be the next adventurers. It didn't take long and we were off in the distance to the west of their view.

We headed up into the foothills of Black Pine Cone. We stopped to have a look into one of the old mine pits. It was much much deeper than I expected from the pre-ride research.

In this picture, if you zoom in, you can see Scott up on the ridge near the big green bush.

[​IMG]

Here maybe this will help you see where to look. Now scroll back up and zoom in to spot him. That is one big hole!!

[​IMG]

More mine pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the trail again.

[​IMG]

We looped around and climbed up a great rough 2 track road. Down near the bottom, it had one of those signs that tells you it will be great. It said something like Not Maintained or High Clearance Only and was riddled with bullet holes. I saw it and wanted to stop and get a picture but I was trying to keep from going into the deep ruts and trying to keep my speed up on the looose, steep grade so I just kept hanging on to the bars and didn't stop. And whatever the sign said, it did not lie. We were on a straight up, overgrown, ripping climb from the desert floor at 5600 to 7100 ft in just a bit more than 3 miles. It was a hoot.

And there was a perfect spot to take a picture of my steed at the top too.

[​IMG]

And then it was photobombed by Scott.

[​IMG]

Here we go... Look at that sweet ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bike might have fallen over there and earned me a pink ribbon but that is only true if there are pictures.

The wind was blasting. We all caught our breath and headed down the other side. It was awesome. There were flowers everywhere. Birds racing us down the trail. Perfect temps. Good times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were supposed to go this way but it was posted so we looped around. Too bad. This one would have taken us back up and thru another pass.

[​IMG]

The road got bigger as we descended back down toward Old Highway 81. I took some tourist shots at the border and we headed toward the Raft River Range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to get up onto the mountain using a different route than we had before. At this point, I was confused and thought this old 2 track would get us to the trailhead but it was gated. Well, it was fun getting there and going back out.

[​IMG]

We talked to another explorer who told us the trailhead I was looking for was in Clear Creek Campground which we had just passed. We stopped in there and took a snack break in the shade. It was pretty warm and it looked like the trail I wanted to climb was no joke.

It wasn't long before it started to climb quickly. I stopped after a switchback to wait for the other riders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the distance you can see the road we came in on after we had been up at the top of the mountain in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were high. My heart was beating out of my chest. Flowers everywhere! The trail was fabulous. It was awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes I would get hung up and have to take a break. I had my Heart Rate monitor showing on my Montana and it was sky high. Especially when I was stuck or bobbled. I made a deal with myself to not take off if I got hung up until my heart rate had lowered back down to 140. There was no place for breaks. The trail was always climbing and was surrounded by footpeg high brush so you could not even put a foot down without it getting hung up and trying to drag you off the bike. I made it up to a sharp corner around an outcropping and saw it was more than I could (and should) do without at least a walk thru.

I left my bike here. I grabbed my Big Boy and took a walk up the trail.

[​IMG]

Around the corner it was looking like this. What isn't so obvious is there is a cliff between where I am and the bike on the left. That tree along the edge of the frame is at least 80 feet tall. The line was narrow and a bunch of loose rock.

[​IMG]

The other guys arrived on the scene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We walked the trail for a long way and cleared it. From the point where my bike was, it followed along parallel to a cliff and was quite overgrown. We did a lot of work clearing the brush and downed trees thinking we might be able to get it good but in the end we realized that all it would take was one bobble by one of us on this section of trail and someone might be dead and if not it would be a huge ordeal to recover a rider and/or bike. So in the end we turned around and went back down. This trail would be challenging and high stakes on a trail bike but wasn't a good idea with several gallons of gas and a bag full of camping gear on the back. It was actually somewhat challenging just to go back down with my packed bike. Someday I will go back and ride it.

Turning the bikes around was a bit challenging and more ribbons may have been accumulated.

[​IMG]

We passed a local map.

[​IMG]

I was really bummed to have bailed on the 001 trail. But what made it ok was that I knew the other way to the top up One Mile and Sawtooth Road was a hoot. It didn't take long and I was pumped. The climb is fantastic and goes thru some beautiful country.

I didn't take any pics of the grade so I guess you will have to take my word for it. We have been up here before so there must be some good pics in other Ride Reports. Here are a few shots from the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we dropped down off the mountain headed westbound. It was getting late and we realized we still had a long way to go to get to Grouse Creek where we had rented the Loaf'in Shed for the next couple nights. We went off route attempting to forge a shortcut down to a more main road and that didn't work out so well. We were all pretty spent from the trail ride so going around in circles on rocky nasty 2 track late in the day wasn't so great. Eventually we hit up with the nicely graded gravel Dove Creek Road and railed it and a few more big ones all the way to Grouse Creek.

The folks at Grouse Creek really took good care of us. Since I was there last, there are new owners. They were very easy to work with. Especially since when I called them earlier in the spring, I was not sure which day we would be there. All I knew was sometime after July 4th since it all depended on how our ride unfolded. I called them when we left from Snowville so they knew we were coming sometime that day. I called again when we arrived and they headed in to check us into The Shed and open up the store for us to buy some goods. They also gave us the key for the bathroom so we could take showers. The gas pumps are card lock so it is a great place to stop for fuel even when the store isn't open. The hours are a bit different so if you are planning to include Grouse Creek in one of your rides, be sure to call ahead.

We settled into our accommodations. The plan was to do a couple of loop rides from Grouse Creek the next day and to stay another night before heading out on the main loop so we eventually unloaded all our kit off of our bikes to get ready. We watched the Revenant in the Shed which put our adventure into perspective and then crashed out.

This pic is from later but I wanted to show off the Loafin' Shed. The new owners have renamed it The Cabin but it will always be the Loafin' Shed to me.

[​IMG]

We did 148 miles today.

[​IMG]

14. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi @LMSB. Thanks for following along. You are right. There is great riding everywhere.

Funny you mention Muley Point. That is another place that no one used to know about.

Once I bought a used rental boat from Wahweap Boat Rentals. My dad and I made a trip of it on our way down and back from WA and went up the Moki Dugway on our way to visit an old friend in Ticaboo. It was really foggy so my dad didn't get the full experience of pulling a trailer up the grade but we did see a couple spots where some bigger rig had pulled its trailer over the edge on a couple of switch backs. I haven't been down that way for a while.

We have been doing the pink ribbon clothespins on the gates to be closed for years. It has worked well.

I haven't been to many trials events lately. In the last 3 years since my son started riding a full size bike, we have probably been to 5. 2020 didn't help. Maybe in 2021?? I hope.

It was hot down low. Nice up high. Really wasn't too bad to be honest.

Thanks for following along.

Thanks for following along @MacG

I heard about the loss of the super secret squirrel single track. And you are right. No one remembers the trip to the mall.

Hi @cidi. I really enjoy making the routes. Exploring on the maps, sat views and other local resources is fun. While we are out on the route, I am always taking pictures of maps and signs to help for future trip planning. Sometimes I feel like I am pushing too much and I try to gage the pace off of the rider who arrives behind me. With this group it was easier as I know more about what each person needs to keep going and also when we should end the day. That all said, I got too far ahead on the trail on day 5 and should have gone back instead of waiting. They could have used my help.
    LittleWan, cidi and bomose like this.
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You mean this trailer? Must have been a harrowing experience.
    IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2422.JPG
  16. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. We saw the tire marks going off the road and back on the road on some inside corners.

I thought maybe I had some pictures from the drive up but I don't see any of the tracks off the side. Here is what I have. It was a nasty winter day.

Attached Files:

bomose likes this.
  17. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple pictures of the hillside we were trying to get up on the 001 trail to the top of the Raft River Mountains. These are from the gravel road just a bit east of the campground. There was a picture in the post of us on the trail looking down at this spot.

This picture has the hill in the center of the picture. Up near the ridge is the rock my bike is laying in front of. It is at the right edge of the dense clump of trees up top.

[​IMG]

This photo is zoomed in and the rock is a little more obvious. No wonder I was so tached out! It looks like we were pretty close to the top. Damn! :becca

Next time!!

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard, dammitdave and bomose like this.
  18. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw an article in a southern Idaho newspaper a couple of years ago that Grouse Ck was one of the last civilized places in UT to get cell service!:clap
    Thanks for the great report.
    MasterMarine likes this.
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi @Bob. Thanks for checking us out. Another upgrade they have in Grouse Creek is a short stretch of Grouse Creek road is paved where it goes thru town. It makes it nicer when you are hanging out in front of the Loaf'in Shed in the evening and the local kids are zooming back and forth up the road between the arena and wherever it is they go. No dust. :rayof The rest to the north and south of town is gravel. They were actually working on extending the paved section south of town when we were there.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another outstanding day of riding @MasterMarine. Really like the statement above and couldn't agree more. I always enjoy the conversations struck up when coming out of some back country track into "civilization" - the looks of some folks are pretty damn funny.

You guys hit some killer terrain yet again! Really cool damn mine shots and that single track you started up and turned back on reminds me of riding in Gifford Pinchot - no way I'd want to do anything like that on a bike loaded with gear. Hell, I get a little sketched on my 200 2-smoker riding stuff like that...lol.

The place you guys stayed in ID sounds perfect; those are fantastic.

Look forward to day 6!