2020 Unexpected ID-UT-NV Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MasterMarine, Nov 30, 2020.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    He sent me the link for this deal. It isn't one that requires a code but appears to be the "holiday" deal for a 5 year subscription to Premium if you get it your self or give as a gift. Check it out.
    Bonnie & Clyde and liv2day like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @cidi - I'll send you a PM in a second; don't want to hijack the thread. Don't have a code, though for anyone interested you can hit the gaiagps.com website - the premium membership is $160 for 5 years.

EDIT - @MasterMarine beat me to it :D
  3. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loving this ride report! Fantastic country, great photos, and interesting commentary. I hope to see more of similar rides as we too seek out the routes waaaay less traveled through "empty" country.
    dammitdave likes this.
  4. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for what Trailwerks said! While most of us post ride reports that read like a 6th grade "What I did Last Summer", Master Marine has written a thinking riders masters thesis on riding the "back" backcountry of the Three Corners and Northern Great Basin. Bravo! and a humble thank you. dd
  5. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM with the places I missed! :ear

Hi @trailwerks, Glad you are enjoying the trip. It is fun remembering how to do this. I hope it lasts for awhile and gets some more people out making their line to discover. It is so much fun to go over maps and sat views in the winter and then get out there on the ground to see what is actually there. It is often way better than you imagine from seeing it on Google Earth. And sometimes much more difficult than it looks too. :muutt

Wow. What kind words, @dammitdave. Thank you. I am feeling pretty rusty on this whole Ride Report thing to be honest. Luckily the terrain is beautiful no matter which way I point the camera. I used to be much better with the formatting and such. Glad you are enjoying. I know I am enjoying reading the reports I have found by inmates old and new. I look forward to seeing some more. :dukegirl
    Winter is always a bummer and it definitely helps me to get thru. Plus I always learn something. I just found out there is a country (to some people) between Moldova and Ukraine from this one.
  6. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 8
    July 10, 2020

We started out the day early. Got packed up and took some shots of K Camp.

My bike is packed up.

[​IMG]

Scotty. Not so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No worries. I took a zip up to the top of the hill overlooking camp to take some pics and enjoy the view while everyone gets their kit packed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did some fun 2 track on our way back down to the desert floor headed east.

We hit the bottom. Looking back as I waited at an intersection for the rider behind me. The dust clouds are coming! In the background is Murdoch Mountain where we camped the night before.

[​IMG]

We had to head a little NW to cross over the RR tracks at an actual crossing. Here I am looking back where I had just come from while chilling at an intersection.

[​IMG]

After crossing the tracks we started climbing again headed toward Rocky Point. The route brought us up into the hills where we would meander around a bit while hitting some high spots then dropping into several valleys. Up and down. Up and down. Good times.

This was a fun climb made even better by the bunch of elk that are just to the left of the road ahead. They decided to head straight up above where we were going so I was able to see them for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We waited for them to move off and then continued climbing. This was one of my favorite parts of the ride this year.

Looking back at the other guys headed up. I always love seeing their dust trails as each has their own battle with the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those elk were still on the move. I thought they had moved over another ridge away from our route and stopped but I looked down to see the herd dropping down this valley and climbing back up to the left.

[​IMG]

More ridge running!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed down another valley and came across some bull elk. We stopped and watched them run off. The 5 of them are kind of to the left of the dust cloud they kicked up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued on and started heading back up toward the main road that heads up to Rocky Point. Just as I was approaching the intersection, I saw 2 more bull elk that were way way bigger than the 4 we had just seen. I stopped and tried to get a picture but they were over the ridge before I could get my camera out. I thought we would see them in the valley on the other side of the ridge but we didn't and we also did not get too far up the road before we came to this gate and had to turn around.

[​IMG]

We kept heading west and had some glimpses of I-80.

Looking west. It is hard to see in this shot but it is out there.

[​IMG]

Looking east.

[​IMG]

From this point we had some more issues. We ran into private property so we had to do a bunch of wandering around to try to figure out how to get around it. I thought we made it to some public land and a road that was good but once we finally got thru the checkerboard of private/public, we hit a gate that was chained and locked shut. Luckily we were not the first to be stuck there on the wrong side of the gate and the fence adjacent to the gate was just twisted together so we made our way thru. We even put it back together a little better than the last who had been thru it. We were a bit lost trying to get back on route for a while but eventually we made our way back to where we meant to be. I think going more west parallel to the interstate and then north thru Independence Creek would be a better route. This checkerboarded public/private land adjacent to the interstate sucks to get thru sometimes if property owners decide to block access.

We crossed the RR again and continued north.

[​IMG]

Found a new ride.

[​IMG]

We continued westbound over another Tripon Pass and crossed Highway 93. Then we rode on toward what had been Bishop Reservoir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Bishop Dam. We have been here before so didn't spend much time fooling around. It is crumbling away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We dropped down on the other side of the dam and stopped to check out the hot spring at Twelvemile Spring. Some day a trip will work out timewise to stop here. It was too early in the day and too hot to stop now with no shade around and make camp. We talked to a dad and son out for a ride on their ATV there too. It was good to see some others out having a good time. Sorry no pics for some reason.

We also stopped at the diversion works for the irrigation.

[​IMG]

We headed down to Wells for food and fuel. We stopped in at Luther's for lunch but it will be our last time there. Someone had puked in the men's latrine the night before and it was still there and no one working seemed to care. Our food took forever and was not good. I ordered a "bottomless" Root Beer Float when we first walked in and didn't get it until after our extremely slow food arrived. Anyway, Luther's is out for us for the future. After a gas stop, we were headed north again.

From Wells it was quick work to Metropolis which is what all the Bishop Dam and reservoir and diversion were for in the first place. More Metropolis info can be found here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Metropolis we headed north on an old route we have followed previously between Wells and Jarbidge.

We stopped to see how the ghoul was dressed this year.

[​IMG]

We ripped our way headed north toward the Orange Bridge. We stopped there for a break as I had seen a truck with a car trailer dropping down the opposite side of the valley toward the bridge. We didn't want to meet them as we were climbing back up on the narrow winding road. Got my jersey wet in the Mary's River and continued on westbound now. It was dry by the time I made it to the next turn off the main road.

Here is a view of the Orange Bridge from the west approach. If you zoom in, you can see some of the other riders way down there by the bridge.

[​IMG]

More fun 2 track before we hit the main drag headed north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We peeled off the main route and continued along the Bruneau River. We stopped at one of the spots along the creek and talked about looking for a camp spot. We decided to continue on into Jarbidge and then camp at the FS Campgrounds just south of town like Bluster CG or Pine Creek CG. So we motored on.

We continued up the rocky and rough 2 track along the river and then took a right up Wickiup Creek. I made a bad decision and took the right hand option on the way up. It was a silty super deep 2 massive rut mess of a road. Don't do it. Go left!

We continued up one of the funnest climbs anywhere. The flowers were still out and smelling great. The sun was getting low and the shadows were long out in front of us. It was a blast!

[​IMG]

We amended our route as we were hungry and tired. In doing so, it seemed like we were taking a "shortcut" but it really wasn't. We could have taken the Powerline Road into town! :lol3 Now that's a "shortcut"!

Instead we worked our way NE and dropped down the Closed Road to the main FS road into Jarbidge. We headed into the restaurant to get some food and cold drinks. We soon figured out there was no camp spots available at the FS campgrounds we had intended to stay at. It was getting dark so we asked if there was any space at the Red Barn. They had rooms available so we decided to stay there for the night. We all filled up with fuel and headed to the Red Barn to crash out.

Jarbidge felt different. The store has new owners. There was no one there I recognized from all the years I had been there before. The inside of the bar had been painted so all those Sharpie signatures and memories on the walls are gone. Just white paint now. Over in the restaurant, they had no homemade pie, no homemade ice cream and no homemade bread, and finally no homemade jam with breakfast (just those mass produced plastic things you see at every Denny's). The food was just ok. Not great like it used to be. WTF? It all felt a little off. Luckily I was able to buy several jars of homemade jam to take home (my family loves the stuff) but they didn't have any strawberry rhubarb, which is awesome! It is still a very cool town. Just not quite how it was. I imagine there are places all over like that. I know Denio Junction has closed down and reopened with new owners. I heard all the dollar bills are gone from the walls in there too. The only constant is change.

When I was in Jarbidge in the past, it was before the IDBDR or NVBDR went thru so the whole BDR thing was weird too. Lots of clean dudes with spotless heavy street bikes with lots of stuff on them they would probably never need preparing to shove off on their big journey headed north. It was strange having people ask me if I was just starting the IDBDR or finishing it so many times. But I think after they talked with me and my crew and heard we were just looping thru and had already done almost 1000 miles and looked at our much smaller dirty, dusty, muddy, scraped up bikes covered with pink ribbons many realized there is more to adventure or dual sport riding than following someone else's line on your GPS. Get a map. Get more than one. Order MVUMs. Plot a route. Try it. It is fun.

I am glad the town is still alive (with an operational gas station) and it is a beautiful place but it has a completely different feel to it than it did years ago. I think this is another one of those places that notoriety thru the internet tainted. Or maybe I was just grumpy because it was a long day and I had been thinking about that ice cream the whole way...

Who knows!

One thing I have learned about the world is that any place you visit will only be like it is in that moment so it is a good idea to let it all in and experience it all. Watch the sunset. Every one is different. Wait for the sun to go all the way down. Use all of your senses. Enjoy. Live.

I passed on my roll of ribbon to a big KTM rider from WA who was embarking on the IDBDR so his group could carry on the pink ribbon tradition. I hope they did. And I hope they all had a great ride.

We rode 189 miles today. It was mostly pretty fast and familiar stuff.

[​IMG]

7. thor63

thor63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey MM,
    I think Dave said it best man, great report. Question, not sure you covered it, what size tanks are you running on those super tankers. They don't seem to hinder your "trailability".
    MasterMarine likes this.
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Love the pics of the bulls! I have seen more bull elk in Nevada than any other state. There aren't many trees to hide them.

What are the blue squares and mountain peak symbols on your overview maps?
    MasterMarine likes this.
  9. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both Mark and I have 5.3 gallon tanks on our 500 EXCs. I am not sure what tank Scott has on his 450 or Bill on his 530. Probably whatever the biggest tank is available for each of them. On this ride, we had some pretty short legs to fuel. After Grouse Creek they got a little longer but we were never pushing our limits. I should be able to do over 200 miles with my bike. We probably could have skipped some gas stations in the first few legs but we never do. Bill says, "The only time you can have too much gas is when you are on fire." It always seems like someone runs out of fuel when they are trying to stretch things a bit or something comes up where you have to detour and fuel range becomes another problem.

The size of the tanks isn't an issue. The weight can be but it is something you get used to pretty quickly. The bigger issue on the trails (especially singletrack) is hitting things along the sides of the trail with the bag on the back and then getting punted off your line or even knocked over. I tore loose both of the lower straps on my bag and had to improvise something to tie them on. You can see the green strap and small yellow line in my pics. So far I have ripped off the lower strap from the holster 3 times in my last 2 camping rides (one side on the first and both on this ride). I am going to take my holster to a commercial marine upholsterer for some extreme stitching and upgrades.

I wish I would have got pictures of the last couple. They made the guys in the other group look tiny! They were massive creatures.

Those overview maps are snips from Basecamp. The map showing is the free US Planimetric NW from GPSFileDepot. I find this map to be pretty good for planning. The blue squares could be anything: springs, cabins, bridges, etc. The mountains are peaks. If you install the same map and hover over the icon or zoom in closer, it will give you a short description which may or may not be helpful. I don't have any of my waypoints showing in that file I am snipping.
    Ginger Beard and Watercat like this.
  10. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "One thing I have learned about the world is that any place you visit will only be like it is in that moment so it is a good idea to let it all in and experience it all. Watch the sunset. Every one is different. Wait for the sun to go all the way down. Use all of your senses. Enjoy. Live."

Well said. Really enjoying all this. Great report, outstanding pics.
  11. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll never understand why people buy going businesses (I'm assuming) and then make major changes to the point that the results become unrecognizable. I've seen it happen so many times
    dammitdave likes this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Not to take anything away from your previous updates @MasterMarine, but damn man - day 9 is proper fantastic! Great job capturing all those pictures and taking us along for the ride with a well written account of what transpired. Have to admit I'm kinda pissed too; it's been raining like a serious mofo since yesterday afternoon and knowing I'm not going to be out in the desert riding again anytime soon is irksome (understatement :lol2 :lol2).

Just messin' around, those pics give me something to look forward to.

Sucks you guys had to screw around with rerouting so much due to private property; glad you were able to get it sorted and it wasn't a bigger time suck. Loved the shots of the elk, especially the bulls. Too early for 'em to be chasing the cows - maybe they were just keeping 'em in sight for when it was time.

Had to quote this; incredibly well said. I'm worried about some of the places I love to hit in SE Oregon succumbing to what you describe in Jarbridge. I would hate for Fields to have that happen, or Plush. As much as I truly enjoy crafting ride reports, there are times when I think I should just shelve those experiences for my own strolls down memory lane. But that feels selfish and petty to some degree. Even though I'll likely never meet most of the folks on this site, the level of camaraderie shared when creating or contributing to a report is special.

Look forward to the next update - what a great day on the bikes.
    Ginger Beard and bomose like this.
  13. Teamoatmealpie

Teamoatmealpie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MM excellent report as always.

We were in Jarbidge mid-August over 2 weekends, so we saw the campgrounds go from full to totally empty. As you pointed out there is a lot of IDBR activity now days. We noticed many of these guys rolled into town got gas then went and took a bunch photos of their IBDR start and then left. Literally rolled into town and left in 10 minutes, didn't stop at the bar, nothing, seemed weird.
    We spent probably 7 nights at the bar this year, and we talked with Don, & Bud both 87 and still kicking, whom we first met in 2010. They said most of the older locals aren't coming out due to Covid. But things are changing in-town Jason & wife are new owners of bar, gas, hotel, motel etc.
    There was also a cluster of portable office & living quarters brought in on the North end of town for a mining exploration company. This wasn't typical construction site job shack stuff. These were high end self contained units that connect to each other. Looked like a significant investment was being made by the mining company.
  14. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi @BigDogRaven. Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully Mark will be along sometime soon with even better pictures. Mine are just from a rugged pocket camera. He had the real deal. Plus him and Scott had nice gopro cameras that I could make start recording by saying "GO PRO Record". They may have some unexpected recordings... :D

@Blaise W, I think sometimes people new to an operation don't take a step back to see how things are working right or wrong before they make their own tweaks.

Or maybe they just don't like a bunch of graffiti on the walls of their bar. Who knows??!? It probably had something to do with Covid too. When we had breakfast we heard the NV governor had just closed down bars again. It is probably a hassle to keep stocked up properly in such a remote place.

My old Nissan Pathfinder had a sticker on the back window that said "The only constant is change". So simple but so profound.

I hate to break it to you @liv2day but it has already happened in Fields too. You couldn't get a shake when you were there. :jack

Good to see you here @Teamoatmealpie. Glad you are enjoying the ride.

I forgot to mention the portable buildings. That is exactly what I thought they were for too. I was going to ask about them at the bar but I forgot about them then too. They do make it look like some serious work is coming soon.
  15. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Mastermarine, sorry I'm late to the party. Life has been busy lately! I'll try to jump in with some of my shots from this epic ride. First, the Amigos. This was like day 6 or 7...still smiling!

[​IMG]

Early in the trip on one of Mastermarine's obscure single track routes. The guys facing downhill were local and had come to clear the trail. I think they were a bit surprised to see us. Note that they were smart and coming down hill. This was a tricky climb through deep grass with shale underneath. Momentum...

[​IMG]

A distant picture of us helping Mastermarine after disappearing into the weeds. He stalled, tipped over and disappeared. All that could be seen was a single boot sticking up! Big gas tank and camping gear makes things a bit harder!!

[​IMG]

Same section. Cool riding through trees on single track:

[​IMG]

A couple more. Sunset on Day 1 (I think):

[​IMG]

And one of the many shots along the Raft River Hills ridges and south looking at the Western Desert. I think Bonneville is over the distant range. The shot was taken from about 1/4 mile back with a 300mm lens.

[​IMG]

Lots more to come!
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    'bout time you joined the report @KarmaSect - it's only 5 pages deep already :lol2:lol2

Look forward to your pics mixing in with the great shots Mastermarine captured. Don't suppose you picked up a drone for this trek? Absolutely killer terrain for aerial footage and photos, makes me want to be out there capturing it with my goofy Mavic.

^^^^
    Daaayuuum. Fantastic capture right there. Quintessential desert pic Mark - riders on a bluff with mountains and a dry lake in the distance. Hell man, that's frame-worthy.

Look forward to seeing what else you captured. Dammit, I want to go riding.
  17. Teamoatmealpie

Teamoatmealpie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike and tent pic is great. Pic says, full days ride was had, plus epic camp spot at sunset, doesn't get any better then that.
  18. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:

Great pics Mark. I can't wait to see more. That one on the ridge did turn out well. :bow

Keep 'em coming!!
    :happay
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 9
    July 11, 2020

We woke up at the Red Barn and packed our things. Today was the last day of riding. The route from Jarbidge to Jackpot always seems to take longer than expected so we knew it would be a fun day.

We headed over to the Outdoor Inn for an unremarkable breakfast.

And then it began. The initial climb out of town to the east seemed much more torn up than I remember. Tons of loose rocks. Definitely not big bike friendly for the average rider. It had been a few years since I had done it so not really a surprise. There is an intersection on the way up the initial rocky grade where I had to stop and wait for the next rider so they would know to go LEFT. In the future, I really need to just tell everyone to go LEFT there as it is difficult to get moving again from that spot. Momentum is your friend on long loose steep uphill grades! I ended up earning at least one pink ribbon before the road got nicer again. The climb up is a fun one even with the loose start and the penalty points. There are several places to get your heart rate up including some small but deep water crossings. I didn't take many pics as I was just enjoying the riding.

Eventually up on top I stopped to see if anyone was still behind me.

[​IMG]

Saw some antelope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back at the Jarbidge Mountains as Scotty comes sliding in. I thought about trying to figure out how to make a GIF from these but didn't get to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to skip Robinson's Hole. We were not to excited about the water crossing in the bottom and the possibility of walking bikes across. So we headed up toward Murphy Hot Springs. And then back down into NV.

[​IMG]

Bill is on the scene.

[​IMG]

At an intersection out here somewhere, I ran across a group of folks on UTVs and dirt bikes. They told me they had been thru Robinson Hole and the crossing was no big deal. Darn. We should have done it. Probably much better in July than June!

We took a fun loop off the known route which I hadn't done before. It was really pretty. Still lots to explore out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to a previous route.

[​IMG]

Mark is on his way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The climb up near White Elephant Butte and Red Elephant Butte was pretty rutted and nasty. I was happy to make it to the top in one piece. I stopped and waited a bit for everyone to arrive. Great views!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We regrouped and carried on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came down to flatter desert terrain and made our way east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I zig zagged around and then climb up the hill I refer to as Badger Hill.

On a previous trip I interrupted a pair of badgers who were busy doing their thing on this road grade. One scurried away and the other decided to attack me as I rode past. My brain was still in the process of trying to figure out what kind of animal that thing was that was growling and hissing at me as it ran toward my bike and tried to bite me. I pinned the throttle and sped up to the top where I waited for the other riders to arrive and tell me about the badger carcass that was all over the trail. Instead when they finally did arrive, they told me the badger had held his own and stopped them from coming up the trail until he decided to move on himself.

So here is the view from Badger Hill. I was here for a while as I had zoomed ahead trying to get in position to photograph the rest of the crew approaching and coming up the grade while in the same leg one of them had missed a turn so they had to chase him down. So there are several pics but it is a good spot! You can see them down there as they approached and climbed the grade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there we still had about 10 more miles of desert 2 track left before we hit the highway. I did not take anymore pics until I was at the highway waiting for everyone to regroup. Here they come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get earplugs in for a couple miles of paved highway.

[​IMG]

Back at the West Star Hotel in beautiful Jackpot, NV. It was about 100 degrees as we rolled into town at about 1:30 pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bike at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all wanted to get headed back home. We had originally planned to spend the night but we just used the rooms to cool down and get showered and then we hit the road headed north back the the PNW.

Today was only 73 miles.

Today's map

[​IMG]

Our total mileage for the loop was 1080 miles.

Overall loop map

[​IMG]

It was a great ride that really pushed our limits. I was happy to get out and do some moto-camping again. I have not been on one of these long trips for several years and have really been missing them. There were some sections we cut out of the loop so as always, there are places I still want to see. I was glad to get out and do something when it seemed like everything in 2020 was not working out.

In 2019 when I crashed my bike and broke my hand and then went on another unexpected trip to Montana with my dad to explore some family history, I learned how important it is to try to make the best out of life not going as planned. It is really weird how one of the best experiences in my life came from crashing my bike and breaking my hand. When I was trying to get my bike out of the hole I put it in and my hand was swollen and hurting intensely I never would have thought any good would come from it.

I hope that in the next year or two I can take my son out on one of these trips. I think he will really like them. When we have been riding together doing rally nav stuff, it is always fun to hear his excitement as we climb over a hill and see something new.

Thanks for joining along and also for your supportive comments. I hope all of us are able to get out and DO some of the things we missed out on in 2020.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
  20. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks MM! Good ride, good report and obviously a good crew. Best Wishes for the Holiday and into the New Year!