2020 Unexpected ID-UT-NV Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MasterMarine, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just read through your whole report, just loved those ridge top two tracks! I’m sad my signature is gone in Jarbidge :(
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Interesting. And thanks for the well-thought-out response.

I'm curious because it's difficult to tell from pictures the true difficulty of the route, or most routes, for that matter. Sometimes the camera flattens out the terrain, or the angle of the picture has things looking mellow, or ... well, you know. And there's such a wide variety of skills here on ADV Rider. It's tough to quantify it all, you know? :D

But I hear you about riding a pig-wagon GSA at the D100. :rofl

No matter the outcome, your RR has me jonesing for some Oregon Outback exploration, getting lost on motorcycles, camping, sunny weather, and scheming to fit a big tank to my Beta 4-stroke.
    MasterMarine likes this.
  3. Ride4Life4Ever

Ride4Life4Ever Is it beer time yet?

Oddometer:
    Some of that terrain looks gnarly, & maybe a bit more than l ever attempted when l was a young man in my mid 50's living in Las Vegas, but l do remember getting myself into quite a few "situations" out in the Nevada deserts & mountains on my DRZ400......Thanks for sharing.
  4. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for followong along @gr8grins. There is a lot of good stuff in the area we traveled.

I should have called the RR "The Ridge View" or similar. I wasn't that creative. I like finding ridge roads or trails and try to work them in whenever possible. I love the 360 degree views. Thanks @Little Bike .

Much of this route and the others I have done are pretty mellow. But there is always something challenging too. I like going over mountain ranges and the roads tend to get pretty ripped up toward the tops. If you want some ideas, hit me up. Get your benchmark out and try to figure out what our routes were and then lets talk.

Hi @Ride4Life4Ever . Glad you enjoyed the trip.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super ride report; really enjoyed it!
  6. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:

Lots of mapware is better than Basecamp. I have made dozens of maps with GoogleMaps. Its not the best, but handier than Basecamp. You can import GM files into Basecamp to send to your device easy enough.

Caveat tho. Once when I had a glitch, I called Garmin support to sort it . . . and the first thing they asked was where the map file came from. When I said GM, they told me Garmin / Basecamp does not support maps made in any other software.

Presumably that would include Gaia. I have been using Gaia on my phone and like it pretty well. No issues exporting those files to your Garmin device?

7. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    No, none at all other than you could run into problems with a route vs a track (due to the number of route points) but you would have that with any software/hardware setup. In those cases I'll convert the route to a track before importing.

Here's another reason I like Gaia vs the competition. I'm heading to Moab soon and am working on routes. One of the map overlays shoes all the trails. How cool and easy is that?

upload_2021-4-12_4-50-38.png

Also, I just picked up the Garmin Tread and plan to use it for both on and off-road moto, overlanding and in a rig that doesn't have a dedicated GPS. I've been using the Trail Tech Voyager Pro the last couple of years but the Tread incorporates the TT features plus a bunch more and makes it almost the perfect multi purpose GPS device.
    97707 and dammitdave like this.
  8. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post on the Rockland Valley. I grew up there. Chased cows for the cattlemans association every summer. Lots of good memories.
    Also, the UT/ID border picture in Jenkins hollow. That’s the starting point for the Tour of Idaho. You boys should try that ride.
  9. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the note. Glad you enjoyed it.

I purchased a year of Gaia to try out. I really like it for all the different maps available. I have been using it on my desktop to create tracks to use for writing roadbooks. It is working great for that. I am going to use it on my phone for a trip to Olympic NP with my family. Looks like it will work great for that too.

I hope that Tread works out well for you. I wish Garmin would finish developing their products before they were released to the public. Following on the Tread thread, it looks like they let that one out a little early like the Monterra, newer Montanas, 276CSX, etc.

Thanks for your comments. The people of Rockland took good care of us a few years ago when we went thru there the first time. We arrived in a gnarly thunderstorm storm and they put us up in the Legion Hall and parked our bikes in the City Shop. I will share that story one of these days. Good folks.

The TOI is on my list. I have been interested in doing it for a very long time. When I first started following it, the way to do it was to cache your food, etc. by mailing your stuff to the towns / gas stations / saloons before you left. It must have been at least 15 years ago. Someday...

I used some of the info I learned from TOI to create our 2020 route in SE ID.
    97707 likes this.
  10. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I’m not ADV as much any longer and this was the first ride report I’ve read probably in years. Definitely grabbed my interest as I’ve ridden some of this stuff and generally familiar with a good bit of it. I appreciate the motivation to get out and take more pics from rides I go on- and not just with the (actually decent) camera on the phone, but to go ahead and haul around the DSLR to get some nicer shots.

Like others mentioned, I really like the stop and smell the roses approach as it seems to engulf you in the experience more than merely just covering monster miles.

Thanks for getting me excited to get going for this year.
    bomose, rageabout and MasterMarine like this.