2020 Ural Gear-Up 2WD Adventure Sidecar - A Ride and Test Report in Three Parts

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, Mar 28, 2020.

1. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Absolutely... I did buy used. Got my 2008 in 2016-2017. With about 5k on it. I’m the 3rd owner.

Once I figured out it’s little nuances and needs..... it’s been all good. For instance, until about 2 yrs ago, I never new you could go right into reverse from 1st:lol3. I also did not know I had a deep sump oil pan till I bought my skid plate and tried putting it on. So I switched it back to a regular pan and put the plate on. Mr Cobb didn’t have any of his skid plates left. I’d like to make a rack for my MTN bike to go into off a trailer hitch type set up , guess Halopaw made them years ago.

I find myself also looking at Raceway stuff, also Heindl, and TurTal and Mr. Crawford have been a big help too

Ural of Pittsburgh (something like that) is my closest dealer. I think they’re pretty new to it.
    norton(kel), mikepa and rg sw wa. like this.
  2. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Until my highways and dirt roads chapter, here is a video and my "spied" photos of a custom demo rig, the Ural "Воробей" or "Sparrow".

Here is a/link to the video just posted on the official Ural Page:

And my "spied" pics, taken at the IMZ-Ural warehouse in Redmond, WA:

sparrow1.jpg

sparrow2.jpg

sparrow3.jpg

sparrow4.jpg

sparrow5.jpg
  3. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Ok, I’ll take that car. Thank you. ❤️
    mikepa likes this.
  4. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:

Dear Ural...with all due respect please please stop with all the weird colors...giant racing stripes...liberace editions...flying drone editions...star wars editions....etc.

The lipstick on the pig ain't cuttin it

What's next?....The anus brown edition with corn colored interior?

Stop it!

If you're bored at the factory please bring back the actual OD green....all of the camo combos...especially the desert "pumpkin" camo

Thank You

Sincerely the worlds most ruggedly handsome badass Ural adventurer of all time

The TurTal

P.S. I'm super seriously...bring back the punkin !

gspell68 and sloMark like this.
  5. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really love that color combo!!!!!!
    mikepa likes this.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually love that color combo. Looks like the Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary special edition from a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

As for shart brown... I always did love rootbeer with a deep metal fleck. It can look great, especially with the right decals. Kawasaki has got that down.

Charles.
    CCjon and Berardi3 like this.
  7. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
    Though my preference is for plainer colours.
    Some of the one off colour schemes are great but it's like hype about how great I am.
    You can try to hard on that score.
  8. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colors are a really controversial thing. I put off buying a new triumph scrambler for 6 or 7 years before finally giving up, because all the colors were flat, drab, and ugly. The original two tone white and red or white and blue, with silver engine cases, were exactly what I wanted cosmetically. But I also wanted fuel injection and a brand new bike. Not just new to me, new period.

Triumph never did it. Then they jumped the shark entirely with the new scrambler with water cooling and all that computerized bullshit.

Charles.
  9. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Here you go. And it’s for sale. A15BDC89-38AD-487F-A99E-6B5EB5122D82.jpeg
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  10. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1......IMHO the red valve covers are ridiculous. waaaay too much.

I Thought the drone thing was a waste as well ......
    phughes and GotDammitDave like this.
  11. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Just saw a clip on the local news here is Seattle. Some guy was photographed riding and riding and riding a yellow Ural with a big ass smile in his face with apparently no plans for ever stopping. We may have to wait a while longer for the next post...
  12. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    rg sw wa., Wambo and phreakingeek like this.
  13. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting so many photos of your bike. Been thinking about adding a sidecar windshield but wasn't sure about the height. I think your photos helped me decide so thanks!

Interesting secret project Ural. I like that they try different things. I'm not partial to that particular custom colors but its interesting to see. I'm not so sensitive about the offerings they seem willing to paint any color. I really like the Gobi and Gaucho Rambler brought back as requests by some customers. There have only been a couple limited editions that really appealed for me but I still enjoy seeing what IMZ comes up with each year. Only regret was never getting a chance to ride the eUral.
    rg sw wa. and mikepa like this.
  14. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me and my 2019 are heading out tomorrow for a ride. Planning do do the bottom half of the ID BRD in late June if the passes melt enough.
    GR8ADV likes this.
  15. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Does this include Magruder? Have you ever done the stretch north of Lolo with the sidecar? Thx
  16. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I have not ridden any of the ID BDR. I did the WA BRD few years back on a GS.

My plan is the S section from NV up to Elk city for the first section, my guess is that early I'll get stopped at a closed pass for snow. Then later in Aug finish the N half.
  17. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious, LOL, I didn't know the seat came up so I just popped mine on my 2019. My tool roll fit great in the space. As well as a small first aid kit and my battery jumper (not in the factory case).

For the socket and switch, it's a REALLY easy swap to move the unused red power supply from the switch to the out let. You can in 2 min, make the outlet switched. Granted the wire is smaller from the switch but I only use it for powering a usb for phones gps ect. You could then use that cable hot off the original plug for a full time power option of other sorts. Just another option.
    rg sw wa. and norton(kel) like this.
  18. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mike, as always a great post!
  19. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Mike are we going to get your part 3 or was the FB link the end of the story?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  20. SkagitStan

SkagitStan analog analogue, alternative factoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    E. of world-famous Sedro Woolley; W. of Concrete
    I don't dare test ride a 2020.
    I love my 2009, and after a warmup, Sara always gets me wherever I need to get. And I can fix every little bit.
    I'm scared that I would start to become envious and lose the desire to ride my Sara the Hack. Or Sara would become depressed by my unfaithful nature and blow up.
    Kruzof, zookster, Bobmws and 4 others like this.