2020 V-Strom 1050

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by eakins, Feb 4, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Suzuki keep calling the new 14+ DL1000 Big DR inspired, but this is something more aggressive?

Suzuki needs an agresive off-road 650 motor based bike to compete in the middle too, not just another big beast pig on the market!!!

Compete with the T7 Suzuki, not the AT!
    Or put another way where are you going with the current dinosaur DR???
    The KLR is just a skip year bike (550 twin???) So it will be back in 2021.

Hopefully Suzuki will have something up it's sleeve for the 700 class in the future.
  3. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! I could really go for this bike. :smile6
    Coach Vader and eakins like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree, making the V1 more off-roadish is good for corporate bragging rights, but a more off-road oriented V-Strom 650 would sell like hot cakes. It would make Suzuki a ton of money, maybe even more than the Wee has over the last 15 years.

Gustavo
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sure I welcome any new attempts from Suzuki.

I wish their long slumber would also include a DR/DRZ update...maybe 1 bike to combine the 2?
    Peke and yokesman like this.
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    eakins likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    And yet Suzuki just does not get this concept what so ever. They've had a potential mid category killer in their pocket the whole time, a modern Transalp, and yet have not utilized it. Meanwhile the other mfgs are moving ahead at full speed.
    Honda will have an answer to the T7, you can count on it! Kawi will too.
    danketchpel and Branchbuster like this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ? Plenty here speak zero Spanish.
    rauchman, Milosh and cyclopathic like this.
  10. mike33_3

mike33_3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is essentially Suzuki's home grown version of Hessler Motors "Desert Express" Vstrom?
    eakins likes this.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes there is a picture of a bike with that label on it in article to reinforce that point.

meet-the-hessler-motors-desert-express-v-strom-hop-up-kit-.jpg
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Now do all that with the 650 motor Suzuki and lighten it and bam you've got a sales winner!
    Just the right amount of off-road power coupled with a sweet dirt focused package...a baby KTM 950.

Maybe a Big DR name redo is an indication of a later DR redo? No doubt a 650 V-twin DR is going to weigh alot more then the current DR...and thus Suzuki has boxed itself in with naming.
  13. mike33_3

mike33_3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt see that.
  14. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I upgraded from my well sorted DR650 (which I loved) to a 701, which is a whole better bike. I wanted FI, 6th gear, more power, better suspension, etc. in a lightweight package. Should have upgraded sooner, love the 701.

The DR works for what it is, but is way behind the times.
    Bhart89 and eakins like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Not the whole bike but the front of it is at the top of the article.
  16. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me, a fuel injected "DRZ 650 S" would do. But I know I'm asking for too much.
    Let's see what suzuki brings out.
  17. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running a V-Strom 1000 at the minute and think it's a hugely underrated machine, and with the right tyres on feels quite competent off road. I've had my eye on that Hessler bike for a while now. If only I had the means. I'm not sure about the V-Strom 650 as the basis for an off road machine though. I rode one on some trails in Death Valley and I thought it was less trail friendly than the 1000 and would need a lot of work to make it anything close to a T7 rival or even a Transalp replacement. Suzuki's problem is that they seem a bit cash strapped at the minute and taking a punt on building a bike that the forums say they'll buy in droves is always a bit of a gamble.
    Phipsd and cyclopathic like this.
  18. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anything official on that?
  19. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    The 1000 is a miss is todays market, better off updating the DR with FI and...... I guess about everything else as well. Darn its an old bike. I took mine everywhere and had fun but cant say I would want it back. I would have ridden even more if I had a versys x 300 instead. Those paved miles got especially old on the DR, and mine was much better than stock.

Greg
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 650 is the better bike off road. It needed suspension work, but the necessary work wasn't vastly expensive. I doubt that I ever used half the peak power of the 650 off road and that was being competitive with 990's and GS's/GSA's at the time. I'm sure Suzuki will go for the 1000 but in most riders hands all those extra ponies do is stir the landscape around. Sure it LOOKS good but fuel economy really suffers.

On the 650 I was still getting 22km/l where the bigger bikes I was riding with had their economy fall through the floor once they left the seal - needing extra fuel carried which meant more weight up high, which made it even easier for me to keep up. The only downside of the 650 was the 19" front and poor ground clearance - and there weren't many places ground clearance was an issue but better stability due to less suspension flex was a gain almost everywhere.

And I know about the DR issues - we rode with DR's and KLR's now and then as well. They were better on the tight stuff and could run 5-10kph faster than I could there IF the riders were standing - problem with that is, we aren't all Toby Price and the smaller bikes beat the crap out of the riders doing those speeds. Long days and it was the small bikes bailing out and slabbing to the evening accommodation where the guys on the big pigs were good for those last two hours of dirt roads.
    Traumat1x, e.t. and cyclopathic like this.