2020 V-Strom 1050

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by eakins, Feb 4, 2019.

1. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with Suzuki now...

IMG_4014.JPG
  2. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We installed the SH35 cases (just color difference) with pics on page 55 of this thread. Took off the stock plastic rails and changes spacers to bring them in closer. My wife loves them (her bike).
    smalls78 likes this.
  3. MotorcycleGordy

MotorcycleGordy n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome! I’m torn on grabbing a 2018 xt yellow one or a new one. The 18 is 15,400k CDN out the door with Motech Side panniers, centre stand and engine guards. I like the looks of the 18 in yellow a lot as well. I think I’m in the rare minority as I really liked the look of my 07 blue Vstrom.
  4. Idahopilot

Idahopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    t-dub, I'm seriously considering the 1050XT Adventure @ Carl's.......or the 1290 SAR (same price). I'm curious why your wife chose the Suzuki over the KTM when she was a previous KTM rider? My biggest concern with the Suzuki is it's off-road ability. I'm by no means an off-road animal........I'm mediocre at best, single track is out of the question, but I do like getting off of the pavement, especially here in Idaho.

The 1250 GSA is also in consideration, but that's A LOT of motorcycle for A LOT of $$$$. But what a great test ride that was..........fun.
  5. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Made some adjustments to the handlebars (rolled them up some) and placed the seat in the high position = much better for my 6'1 frame. Never ridden a Suzuki before and I'm amazed just how smooth this bike is. Hard to keep my RPMs less than 4500 per the rec break in for the first 500mi. LOL, doing my best.
  6. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike. But everyone knows Black is the fastest color.
    smalls78 likes this.
  7. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carl’s is the best, so you’re already 80% there!

My wife has a ‘19 KTM 690R that we use for 95/100% dirt travel so the 1050XT is used primarily for street riding to include beat up paved mountain trail roads and 10-20% dirt/gravel use. She did start riding on a 2003 Suzuki SV650 so it is almost like a homecoming and she couldn’t be happier.

The only comparative bike would be the 1290S (with 19/17 wheel combo) but that is a taller and bigger bike that she didn’t need. I have 85k miles on an ‘05 DL1000 so the proven reliability was also a big selling point for her. I have ridden the 1290S and much prefer the smoothness of the 1050XT vs the frantic feel of the 1290. I rode it yesterday for demos when we were teaching a moto class and it is amazing how low the CoG is and how flickable it is vs mine. Students asked how much it weighed with watching how nimble it was. She also gets way more compliments than she ever did with her KTM 1290GT.

It will not be as good as the 1290R if you are going on technical rocky roads with the lower ground clearance but neither will a 1250 GS/GSA. If I was planning on that riding, I would buy a 790R.

I hope that helps. Cheers, Trent
  8. Sinnman

Sinnman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You spelled orange wrong. :D
    dtysdalx2, ShiftHead and lazos 990 like this.
  9. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I’ve only gone and done it..
    Looking at YouTube reviews, reading loads online about the big Vstrom and the fact that my local dealer has offered me a great deal has made me pull the trigger on a 1050 base model Vstrom.
    No test ride, no going to the dealer, all done from the comfort of my armchair indoors. With several beers to encourage me to do the deal.
    Sounds crazy I know but I owned two 650 Wee’s in the past and I loved them.
    I test rode a 1000 back in 2014 and I loved that too so my logic said ‘go for it!’ as the 1050 will be even better surely..
    The fact that Suzuki U.K. are doing a deal where you get a centre stand and big top box thrown in for free just made me think what the heck..
    Plus a great trade in on my old bike.
    Can’t wait to pick the new ride up!
    Toto, 996DL, ShiftHead and 5 others like this.
  10. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that most Harleys are Black. :)

..Tom
  11. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a 1050 XT a couple of months back you won't be dissapointed
    My only gripe is the seat...Come on Sargent get on the case :thumbup
    smalls78 likes this.
  12. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I won’t be disappointed! I’d not usually buy a bike ‘unridden’ but I’m familiar with VStroms from the past and I’ve loved them. I can only imagine a bigger gruntier engine will make me love the bike even more.
    The deal was awesome, my VFR is only a year old with full service history and the dealer was happy to quote me a trade in over the phone so I thought why not.
    Once I get the big V I’ll be keen to buy some farkles..
  13. smalls78

Oddometer:
    I just emailed Sargent begging for them to make a seat LOL. I have an airhawk on the way for the meantime.

Congrats @ukiboy !
    Garry H likes this.
  14. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sargent may not have a 1050 yet to use in order to make a seat. They used to give a free seat to the person that lends them a bike for the design process.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Still really want to demo ride one like @smalls78 has. Pandemics suck! :bluduh

Official color is: Pearl Brilliant White/Glass Blaze Orange
  16. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Never had a Russell Day Long seat, but with lack of current aftermarket I called them and had some questions answered. The seat seems big! I might go with it, but I did mention to the guy that I don't want to be "rocked backward" like how some of the images leave me thinking the seat will position me. Anyone with RDL experience?
  17. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had one on my 2015 DL1000 and loved it so much that one is about to arrive for my 2020 DL1050.

Most comfy seat I ever had! Doing 1,200 km days back to back to back no issue and one 1,600 km ?1,000 mile) day was no issue at all. Could have gone much further but home arrived.

Downside it is tall and some people thing it's ugly.

..Tom
    Toto, smalls78 and realshelby like this.
  18. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    I have one on my K1200LT. It's a big seat but you only have to look at it when you're parked. It is supremely comfortable, but I was also happy with the Seat Concepts I had on the DL650. However, I've heard good things about Terry Adcox and his seats looks very RDLish, so I got on the list to have one made in March, he's booked up that far. In the interim I'l deal with the AirHawk.
  19. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got home from work and my Russell Day long seat was waiting for me. :)

..Tom
    20200924_195039.jpg

20200924_195101.jpg
    BlueRidgeKat, Toto, merc16 and 4 others like this.
  20. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Looks good Tom! Did you add heated option?