1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

2021: 3 Months touring the American West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jgalinis, May 2, 2021.

1. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There restless soul

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying reading your RR. Thanks for sharing.
    I wouldn't worry to much about accomodations. Those things always seem to work out.
    jgalinis likes this.
  3. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your trip while I’m stuck at work. Marfa is definitely a weird little town but it became that way because two minimalists artists Donald Judd and Dan Flavin went there and made a bunch of art. Hotels, restaurants and hipsters follow. The art is scattered all over town.

42FD83EE-86BD-49BB-9543-BFC196A1B88C.jpeg

Sorry for the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    jgalinis likes this.
  4. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a trip. Catching up with the thread now :D

:lurk
    jgalinis likes this.
  5. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed north of of Carlsbad NM this morning with sites set on White Sands national park.

The park is pretty cool, part of the road through the park is on sand with a hard pack layer underneath. The depth of the sand varies, and the bike got a little squirrelly on me a few times. The park gift shop sells sleds for dinner sledding also but I did not partake.

I backtracked back east a little bit back to Cloudcroft NM to make camp for the night in Lincoln national forest. I believe there are open dispersed camping areas further south of town, but I chose the developed fee campground close to town called Deer head campground.

The town and campground are at a cool 8600 feet which should make for some good sleeping temps tonight.

After making camp I explored a little more down the Sunspot scenic byway, which leads to Sunspot NM, where there is a solar observatory. For a small fee you can tour a little exhibit they have and tour the ground to see the telescope. The road down there is a pretty scenic ride with lots of good Twisties also, highly recommend.

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot for Gila Cliff Dwellings national monument. View attachment 2996021 View attachment 2996020 View attachment 2996022 View attachment 2996023 View attachment 2996024 View attachment 2996025 PXL_20210527_223253755.jpg
  6. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, had dinner at Cloudcroft brewing co, which was excellent!

I tried posting the last post from Tapatalk again, I attached multiple photos but I can only see one, can y'all see more than one picture on my previous post?
  7. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only one. I've had the same thing happen..... Post up in a new reply
    jgalinis likes this.
  8. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ruidoso is a nice little town to visit in central New Mexico (since you're in that area). As you head west, you should scoot down to US 60 and see the Very Large Array in Socorro, NM. The museum is currently closed due to COVID, but the array of dishes is very cool to see during the day. If you continue west on the 60, you can stop in Pie Town, NM for a piece of pie.
    jgalinis, Ladybug and JackBurns40 like this.
  10. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip so far. Just wondering, how are the temperatures when riding?

Are you doing all backroads or mix with interstate highways?
    jgalinis likes this.
  11. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done about 100 miles on the interstate so far, mostly sticking to back roads.

As far as temp while riding, as long as the outside air temp is less than 100 I've been comfortable as long as I'm moving.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  12. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A double day update due to not having service 2 nights ago, and not having the willpower last night.

I departed from Cloudcroft NM on a chilly Friday morning. I swung by the "worlds largest pistachio" as I passed through Alamogordo. The gate was closed as they weren't open yet. The place does have some entertaining billboards in the nearby area.

The rest of Friday was mostly uneventful riding. I had originally planned on cutting across toward Gila national forest and cloud dwelling monument by taking NM 152 , through the mountains, but found the road closed when I got there. I had to backtrack and go around there long way south toward Deming NM on long straight boring roads.

I eventually made it to the national forest. I was going to camp at one of the scorpion campgrounds near the monument, but upon arriving in the national forest and reading up on the active fire nearby, I decided to camp at Mesa campground near lake Roberts instead to avoid the smoke.

It was a relishing evening, I setup my hammock for the first time and read some books downloaded to my tablet as I didn't have any phone service on either phone (I'm carrying 2 phones, 1 Verizon and 1 AT&T. One is my work phone). The sky was clear and the stars were bright.

Late in the evening Friday, a 4runner pulled up and asked if they could split the campsite with me. I was cool with it as it was a large site and was leaving in the morning anyways. I got some local travel tips from the family.

Saturday morning I finished the ride up to the cliff Dwellings and hiked them right as they opened.

I then headed towards silver city to grab lunch. NM route 15 from the cliff Dwellings to silver city is an epic ride, lots of turns and elevation change, I had a blast!

From silver city I headed west/north on 180 to 12 to 32 to get to pie town, NM.

There is a few campground in pie town which I was going to stay at, but upon arrival, there was trash everywhere, the bathroom looked gross, and there were only a few other campers there, all in very run down looking RVs. I decided to move on and get a hotel in town for the night.

On the way to Socorro NM I passed by the very large Array.

Still in said hotel room now trying to decide which direction to go today.

PXL_20210528_141834060.MP.jpg PXL_20210528_230245848.jpg PXL_20210529_141906725.jpg PXL_20210529_143418182.jpg PXL_20210529_152055949.jpg PXL_20210529_202525589.jpg PXL_20210529_233819392.jpg Screenshot_20210530-070737.png
  13. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before heading to Rocky Mountain National Park, Google: "Is Trail Ridge Rd. open"? It officially opens on Memorial Day, but the weather doesn't alway agree and heavy snows can keep the road closed well into the season.
    I haven't seen any reference to green chili, so you're missing what New Mexico does best.
    Don't be afraid to ditch the itinerary and just travel in the moment and from day to day. Some of my best trips were spontaneous.
    On my last trip down Big Sur, tailgaters were a problem, since riding at the speed limit seemed to piss them off.
    jgalinis and MTBRALPH like this.
  14. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Started out yesterday in Socorro NM. I planned to head up to Ruidoso NM to check out the town then find somewhere to camp overnight.

I stopped by valley of fires recreation area to check it out first. As I pushed east, the sky Kelly getting darker and darker, so I turned back and pulled into a small Mexican diner in Carrizozo for lunch.

Two other bikers came in shortly after me who came from the direction of the dark clouds and said it was not only rain, but enough hail to accumulate on the road.

I went back to valley of fires to set up my tent, calling it a pretty early day.

The wind would not let up, blowing dust into my tent, and I was worried that if the wind kept up like it had or got worse, I may need a new tent. I packed up the tent and got a cheap motel in Carrizozo.

Today was a very wet and chilly ride from Carrizozo via Las Vegas NM to Angel Fire NM to Taos. From Las Vegas to angel fire was a really fun, though narrow road with lots of turns and elevation change. Angel fire to Taos was equally as fun, though bring memorial day today was filled with people towing their campers home it seemed.

Taos is a really cool looking little town and was fun to walk around. I had dinner at Burger stand at Taos ale house. Burger was excellent and they had a great beer selection also.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit the Rio grande gorge bridge near Taos, then head for bandelier national monument, and maybe even get to see a waterfall and hot spring west of bandelier before making camp. PXL_20210531_174717309.jpg PXL_20210531_161259785.MP.jpg PXL_20210531_185136534.jpg PXL_20210531_185007222.MP.jpg Screenshot_20210531-202542.png
  15. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    A lot of cool historical stuff in Taos.
    Did you see Kit Carsons house?
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride 555 from Durango north to Ouray. You won’t regret it.
    TheHeathen and N-Id-Jim like this.
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice campground just out of durango at Electra Lake. Then over the big hills ! Be sure to ride CO 141
    Geezerguy likes this.
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes!
  19. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You good?
    jgalinis likes this.
  20. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, sorry for the delay, I didn't have service at camp the other night and got behind on updates. Currently in Fort Collins Colorado staying with a family member to rest up, change the oil and probably get a new back tire before continuing on. I'll get the last few days of updates on here at some point this weekend.