2021: 3 Months touring the American West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jgalinis, May 2, 2021.

1. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up pitching tent for tonight at windwhistle campground in the BLM area off of needles overlook road.

I'll be camping at 3 step hideaway tomorrow evening.

I think tomorrow I'll explore south, moki dugway and natural bridges monument, Mexican hat, and whatever else interesting I find.

I would go to monument Valley but it appears to be closed still...
  2. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan. Just riding down past Monument Valley on the highway you can see some nice formations. The road inside the Monument is dirt and sand. They offer Jeep tours when they are open. There is a side road that takes you to a gooseneck overlook not too far off the paved road that should be open.
    jgalinis likes this.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    isn't that gooseneck on the road to the Dugway. I think its a state park.
  4. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct. Been awhile since I was there.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I haven't been to 3 step yet but it is on my short list of places I want to go.

Don't worry about adding pics or a full report while traveling, it's difficult to keep up with. But, like has been said let us know where you are so people give you tips of places to see.

I'm subscribed and looking forward to watching your travels even without pics. Keep enjoying yourself, that's the most important thing.
  6. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Managed to see natural bridges, moki dugway, and monument Valley today, also spent some time at fort bluff on my way back north, kind of interesting to visit. I scored a free ice cream after chatting with one of the staff members for a while, very nice gentleman.

Heading to 3 step hideaway tonight.

Planning on spending some time in canyonlands national park in the morning, then may or may not try and hit arches also. I know it's going to be hot.

I was thinking about getting a hotel in moab tomorrow night but the prices changed my mind. Not exactly sure what I'll do for accommodation tomorrow evening just yet.
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    A couple weeks ago, Arches was restricting entry into the park due to the number of visitors. If you weren’t in the park by as early as 0830, you had to wait for someone (or at least one vehicle) to leave to be allowed in. Moab in general was busier than I’d seen it outside of Easter Jeep Week, but with families more than 4x4-ers.
    jgalinis likes this.
  8. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a great time at 3 step hideaway last night.

I made it up to arches national park early enough to get in today. I did the long hike to delicate arch before it was too too hot outside.

I mostly just drove around the rest of the park, then headed to island in the sky canyonlands. Had to sit in line in traffic for almost 30 minutes to get in.

Currently in a hotel room up in green River for the night.

I'm debating if I want to go into northern Utah at all, up the mirror lake scenic byway rt 150, or just continue west/southwest towards capitol reef and highway 12.
  9. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought: depending on how long you're planning to be out, you might want to hit Arches on the way back. The Park Service website has this chart showing how busy the park is at different times of the year:

[​IMG]

Notice how there's this impressive drop in traffic during the last couple weeks before Labor Day. The "sweet spot" between the time school starts (no more Griswold Family Vacations) and the time it starts cooling off enough for the AARP crowd. I visited Arches in the middle of that sweet spot three years ago, on a Friday afternoon, and had no trouble finding parking at the trailheads and viewpoints (and we went to several). Arches is well worth a visit, so if you're in that part of Utah on your way home...

Scenic Byway 150 is well worth the trip (I was there two years ago). Making a loop might be hard, but depending on time you might consider running over to Vernal, taking in Dinosaur National Monument, and going up past Flaming Gorge to catch UT 150 off I-80 just across the Wyoming border.

UT 12 is also not to be missed. Same for Capitol Reef, and spending a night in the campground at Fruita.

Just so many great places out there... probably why I've been going back for 40+ years!
  10. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    jgalinis likes this.
  11. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decided to head north today, will make camp near mirror lake tonight, then backtrack south tomorrow and camp in capitol reef national park. From there I can follow highway 12 down, and also visit Bryce canyon, and jump off to zion before heading south to the grand canyon. Going to be a busy week!
  12. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great rr and your route is very imbitious. Nice narrative and your style is natural in style. Looking forward to the saga. Also like your Outer Banks sticker. Just returned from a glorious month in Rodanthe.
  13. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    You would enjoy the 3step, some of the best hospitality I have experienced on the road. GOOD PEOPLE!
    Trip Hammer and Ladybug like this.
  14. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Managed to check out capitol reef national park Tuesday, Bryce canyon yesterday, and Zion this morning. Currently in Flagstaff az for the evening. I have a campsite reservation at the grand canyon south rim tomorrow evening.

After that, I was thinking of staying in Vegas for maybe a night or 2, then following the extra terrestrial highway and heading up toward Reno/Carson city to cross the sierra Nevada mountains somewhere. I am worried about the heat though crossing Nevada.

I have some family near Modesto California that I'll crash with for a day or 2. After that is still somewhat up in the air.
  15. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As one caught riding in black leathers across Nevada during a 118f heatwave a while back, I recommend you not go as far as Fresno where it's predicted to be hot as hell too for awhile, but suggest heading north on U.S. 395 staying high in the Sierras, make some northing to Reno or beyond then drop down to cross lowlands to the west in an early morning - if there's nobody you've gotta see south of Sonoma or Mendocino Counties - and head straight for to the coast for cooler riding up U.S. 101 or California Hwy. 1 as long as the heat stays bad. Keep an ear on the news for wildfires and which way the smoke from 'em blows so you can avoid both fire & smoke - it's amazing how thick and oppressive it can be many miles downwind of a Western wildfire.

You may well already be hip to this, but a wet cooling vest (hardware stores serving construction workers in hot, dry areas have 'em) is good for riding in extreme heat, so's a wet shirt with jacket vents open, and a wet cotton bandana around the neck to cool the carotid artery. The evaporation makes a big difference while moving! If there's a place for it, a bottle of water to re-wet while riding, without stopping, is nice to have.

Best to ya, and thanks again for a damn good report.
  16. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took an extra night in Vegas to "relax" but ended up walking around all day being a tourist. Left Vegas this morning and headed north up and across the extra terrestrial highway. Currently in a cheap hotel in Tonopah. Aiming to camp somewhere near lake Tahoe tomorrow, then follow the mountains south to see Yosemite and sequoia national parks, before staying over with some family over the weekend.
    23103a, staticPort, chudzikb and 4 others like this.
  17. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can, swing by Mono Lake and have a look at the tufa formations. Not bean curd, but towers of minerals formed by springs on the lake bottom, now exposed by LA’s insatiable appetite for water.

BTW, I did not know there were any non-cheap motels in Tonopah (no matter how much they cost).
    jgalinis likes this.
  18. Clef

Clef n00b

Oddometer:
    Great report! I am planning (and hoping) to do a similar trip next year, so definitely following the rest of your reports along with all the suggestions from the others.
    jgalinis likes this.
  19. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Managed to see lake Tahoe, mono lake, Yosemite, kings canyon, and sequoia national parks the past few days. Today I'll be headed up to stay with some family for 2 nights near-ish Modesto California. Sunday I'm planning on heading west and staying in Pismo beach for the night before picking up the PCH and heading northbound.

I will need some tires and an oil change pretty soon, will probably be looking around the bay area for a large shop somewhere around Tuesday of next week or so if anybody has any suggestions.
    Clef, MrAndMrsZINC, 23103a and 4 others like this.
  20. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got some fresh tires put on this morning in San Jose.

Then headed west and picked up highway 1 through SF and over the golden gate bridge.

Planning on picking back up on highway 1 in the morning and heading up to around eureka tomorrow.

Thursday I'll be headed up to a fellow inmates place near crater lake Oregon.

Afterwards I'd like to continue north along the coast to the WA border, but another holiday weekend is upon us which will make accommodations more difficult.

Speaking of accommodations, I have had very little luck camping in California on the coast. Seems like all the really nice spots are state parks rather than national forests, and it looks like almost every state park is reservation only camping, and every one I have checked is booked out to October it seems.